Thats Not A Knife!, this is a knife!

Scottish Mag

An 80-year-old woman pulled a "Crocodile Dundee" when she confronted a burglar, telling him: "You call that a knife - this is a knife."

Winifred Whelan, from Liverpool, awoke to find a man standing by her bed with a 10in (25cm) knife, demanding money.

She ran downstairs, grabbed a 14in (35.5cm) carving knife and shouted the famous line from the classic 80s film.

In the film, Paul Hogan tells a mugger: "That's not a knife. That's a knife," as he brandishes his hunting blade.

Ms Whelan, who weighs 8st (50kg), sprang into action after two men broke into her home in Walton in the early hours of the morning.

She said: "I've seen Crocodile Dundee but I wasn't thinking about that at the time.

"He had a 10 inch knife so I pointed my knife at his belly and said to him, 'You call that a knife, this is a knife'.

"I was just so angry, nobody knows how they will react in a situation like that and I have to say it was very out of character for me.

"I think the burglar was quite surprised."

The two men had also threatened her husband John, 82, and her son Vincent, 53, who has since died in a car accident.

Mrs Whelan added: "Luckily Vincent grabbed the knife from me and stopped me from doing anything stupid.

"I think he was scared that I would stab the man or that he might attack me."

Mr Whelan said he was stunned when his wife took on the burglar because she is normally a timid person.

But despite her heroic actions, Mrs Whelan revealed she had been left terrified by the attack in September 2005.

"I still have nightmares about it now, it was terrifying," she added.

Two men were jailed at Liverpool Crown Court last week in connection with the incident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/england/merseyside/5212530.stm