MythBusters

Did anyone watch this, BBC2 7:30 tonight?

A penny dropped off the Empire State building wouldn't kill you if it hit you (it probably wouldn't even break the skin).

You get wetter running through the rain than walking through it.

Filling your toilet with petrol then lighting it wouldn't create enough explosive force to blow you off it.

Did anyone watch this, BBC2 7:30 tonight?

A penny dropped off the Empire State building wouldn't kill you if it hit you (it probably wouldn't even break the skin).

You get wetter running through the rain than walking through it.

Filling your toilet with petrol then lighting it wouldn't create enough explosive force to blow you off it.

166113[/snapback]

I'm not at all surprised by that one, why would people think otherwise?

Can you remember the details of the penny one? I'm certainly guilty of believing that one!

Can you remember the details of the penny one?  I'm certainly guilty of believing that one!

166114[/snapback]

Its to do with mass and the force it can deliver.

The penny would be travelling at 64 mph but because it only weighs 2.5 grams it hasn't got the force to do any real harm.

The penny would be travelling at 64 mph but because it only weighs 2.5 grams it hasn't got the force to do any real harm.

166116[/snapback]

Presumably it can't gather enough force if just dropped, but if it were projected at high speeds it could do damage?

I think I remember a story about a kid being killed by a penny he'd left on the tracks that had flown off when the train hit it and essentially turned into a bullet.

166116[/snapback]

Presumably it can't gather enough force if just dropped, but if it were projected at high speeds it could do damage?

I think I remember a story about a kid being killed by a penny he'd left on the tracks that had flown off when the train hit it and essentially turned into a bullet.

166122[/snapback]

Sounds like a myth tbh

166116[/snapback]

166122[/snapback]

They fired it out of an adapted high-powered rifle into a concreate block. Travelling at bullet-speed it took a little chip out of the block but the coin itself just warped. Guess the shape and material stopped it penetrating any further.

It does, it sounds exactly like something made up to scare kids, but it was more the principle I was talking about, Snopes reckons it's possible.

Pennying the tracks can result in a further danger — sometimes those coins shoot out from under the train's wheels at incredible speeds, turning them into potentially deadly little projectiles.

And considering it's apparently a relatively popular pass time the odds of it happening at some point are drastically reduced.

They fired it out of an adapted high-powered rifle into a concreate block. Travelling at bullet-speed it took a little chip out of the block but the coin itself just warped. Guess the shape and material stopped it penetrating any further.

166131[/snapback]

:D Does that mean we might have caught Snopes out on something? Well they said "potientially deadly little projectile", which I suppose it is if it hits an eye.

166131[/snapback]

:D Does that mean we might have caught Snopes out on something? Well they said "potientially deadly little projectile", which I suppose it is if it hits an eye.

166135[/snapback]

or your temple. If it can chip a conrete block it can crack a skull up.

Love Mythbusters, my favourite one was the exploding toilet, they took "Buster" their crash-test dummy and placed him on a toilet, with the bowl full of domestic cleaning products and arranged a system where the dummy dropped a cigarette into the pan to see if it would ignite the fumes.

Great show !

Love Mythbusters, my favourite one was the exploding toilet, they took "Buster" their crash-test dummy and placed him on a toilet, with the bowl full of domestic cleaning products and arranged a system where the dummy dropped a cigarette into the pan to see if it would ignite the fumes.

Great show !

166174[/snapback]

Aye, that was on tonights.

166131[/snapback]

166135[/snapback]

Isn't force related to momentum, which is a function of mass and velocity? Therefore, if a penny is going fast enough, it will certainly kill you. But it won't get the required speed from dropping it off a building as there will be a terminal velocity due to resistance. However, in space a speck of dust has the potential to take out a space ship iirc.

166131[/snapback]

166135[/snapback]

Isn't force related to momentum, which is a function of mass and velocity? Therefore, if a penny is going fast enough, it will certainly kill you. But it won't get the required speed from dropping it off a building as there will be a terminal velocity due to resistance. However, in space a speck of dust has the potential to take out a space ship iirc.

166179[/snapback]

I think it was proven to be highly unlikely rather that impossible.

166131[/snapback]

166135[/snapback]

166179[/snapback]

The teminal velocity was 64.43 mph and the mass was 2.5 grams. The momentum generated was enough to sting, maybe cause a little swelling but not to kill.

A fleck of paint from a satellite was hit by the Space Shuttle (at around 13000 mph) and almost penetrated a window with potentially disasterous results.

166131[/snapback]

166135[/snapback]

166179[/snapback]

The teminal velocity was 64.43 mph and the mass was 2.5 grams. The momentum generated was enough to sting, maybe cause a little swelling but not to kill.

A fleck of paint from a satellite was hit by the Space Shuttle (at around 13000 mph) and almost penetrated a window with potentially disasterous results.

166182[/snapback]

Who cares if this is the last thing you see?

karits2.jpg

kari2dm4.jpg

Frozen chicken thru a windscreen, cannon made out of a log, car sandwiched between two speeding semi's..... love the show if for no other reason than they get to do what most of us would kill for a chance at. Blow things up just to see if it could be done? Oh hell yes.

*cue bloody minded american quips from highbrow anglians*

Edited by Mags