Real 'agree Van Nistelrooy deal'

Scottish Mag

Real Madrid say they have agreed to sign Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy on a three-year contract.

Madrid announced the deal in a statement on their website on Thursday, but gave no details of a fee.

United were believed to be demanding at least £15m for the 30-year-old, who had handed in a written transfer request.

In a statement, United said they had given Van Nistelrooy permission to travel to Spain for a medical, but said an agreement had not been finalised.

Real have said they will present Van Nistelrooy - who scored 150 goals for United - on Friday evening at 1800 BST after a medical in the morning.

Reports earlier on Thursday said Real would pay about £10.2m (15m Euros) for the Dutchman.

In their statement, Madrid said: "Real Madrid announce they have an agreement with Manchester United for the transfer of the player Ruud van Nistelrooy.

"The player will be contracted with the club for the next three seasons.

"He will undergo a medical on Friday morning and will be presented in the evening at 7pm at the Palco de Honor at the Santiago Bernabeu."

United's statement, released later on Thursday, said: "We have given permission for Ruud van Nistelrooy to travel to Real Madrid for a medical.

"But the terms of agreement are yet to be finalised between the two clubs."

Sir Alex Ferguson has previously said: "He is one of the best strikers in the country, one of the best strikers in Europe, so when you think about Andriy Shevchenko going for £35m - he is a similar age group."

Ukraine captain Shevchenko, 29, joined United's Premiership rivals Chelsea in May.

Spanish radio station Cadena SER said on Thursday that a deal of just over £10m had been agreed between the two clubs and that the Dutchman would sign a three-year deal.

If the move goes through, Van Nistelrooy will link up with former United team-mate David Beckham at the Bernabeu.

United signed Van Nistelrooy, who returned to training with the Red Devils on Monday, for £19m from PSV Eindhoven in 2001.

If he signs, Van Nistelrooy will be Madrid's third acquisition since Ramon Calderon won the club's presidential election on 3 July.

Fabio Cannavaro and Emerson have already been signed from troubled Juventus, who look set to begin next season in Serie B after being relegated for their part in the Italians match-fixing scandal.

What with the number of strikers they have, how long until Ronaldo is linked with us?

Real Madrid have confirmed the capture of Ruud van Nistelrooy, making him the club's third signing under new coach Fabio Capello.

The Manchester United striker travelled to undergo a medical, although the Old Trafford outfit claim the clubs are yet to agree a transfer fee.

Real now state van Nistelrooy has made the switch to La Liga, enabling him to join the likes of Ronaldo and Raul at El Bernabeu, with the player to be unveiled on Friday evening. 

The Dutchman joins the likes of ex-Juventus pair Fabio Cannavaro and Emerson in joining the Spanish giants during the close season.

The Dutch ace told the club's official website after passing a medical: "It's fantastic to be here. I am moved at being presented today.

"I'm very happy to arrive at one of the world's biggest clubs where I want to score many goals.

"When Real Madrid come knocking you do not to think about anything else as you know that they are number one."

Not long I figure, especially with Freddy's "Special" relationship the Real Madrid.

166168[/snapback]

:D

Another of Anal Oliver's catchphrases along with geordie and Lee Clark appearing in every other sentence, and the use of me, my, I, mine etc. in articles that are nothing to do with Anal Oliver at all!

But yes, i'd imagine sooner or later we will be linked with Ronaldo with Anal probably mentioning that he sees Bobby Robson as a father figure and that SBR will advise him to sign for NUFC!

Not long I figure, especially with Freddy's "Special" relationship the Real Madrid.

166168[/snapback]

:D

Another of Anal Oliver's catchphrases along with geordie and Lee Clark appearing in every other sentence, and the use of me, my, I, mine etc. in articles that are nothing to do with Anal Oliver at all!

But yes, i'd imagine sooner or later we will be linked with Ronaldo with Anal probably mentioning that he sees Bobby Robson as a father figure and that SBR will advise him to sign for NUFC!

166527[/snapback]

Word for word I reckon :blush: