Friday's gossip column

khay

Friday's gossip column

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Tottenham's Michael Carrick will finally sign for Manchester United next week in a deal worth about £15m. (Various)

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder wants to sign unsettled Chelsea defender Wayne Bridge. (Daily Mirror)

Roeder is also preparing a player-plus-cash swoop for West Ham's Marlon Harewood. (The Sun)

Sunderland will sign former striker Kevin Phillips for £750,000. (Daily Mirror)

Portsmouth are closing in on a £3.75m deal to sign Preston striker David Nugent. (Various)

Millwall are close to signing Hearts winger Chris Hackett. (Daily Star)

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy is opening talks with Everton to sign midfielder Lee Carsley. (Daily Mail, Daily Mirror)

Chris Sutton could return to play for Birmingham after being released by the Midlands club at the end of last season. (Various)

Coventry want to sign out-of-favour Sheffield United forward Geoff Horsfield on a season-long loan. (Daily Mail)

Sunderland are close to signing Robbie Elliott, who has been released by North-East neighbours Newcastle. (Daily Express)

Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate is insisting that teenage winger Adam Johnson will be staying at the Riverside. (Daily Express, The Sun)

Wigan have swooped for Crystal Palace right-back Emerson Boyce for £1.6m. (Daily Star, Daily Mail)

Birmingham manager Steve Bruce is persisting with attempts to sign Coventry's Gary McShaffrey. (Daily Mirror)

Bruce has also made a shock £1m move for Fulham striker Brian McBride. (Daily Mirror)

Danny Higginbotham has been put on Southampton's transfer list after turning down a new two-year deal. (Daily Mirror)

Blackburn will announce the signing of FC Porto striker Benni McCarthy for £2.5m.

(The Times)

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has told Shaun Wright-Phillips he must prove himself before the transfer window shuts or risk being sent out on loan. (The Sun)

From BBC ©

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has told Shaun Wright-Phillips he must prove himself before the transfer window shuts or risk being sent out on loan. (The Sun)

He should try playing the lad then!

NEWCASTLE boss Glenn Roeder is having talks with Chelsea about a £2million deal for unsettled defender Wayne Bridge.

Bridge, who has only one year left on his Stamford Bridge contract, is unhappy at the prospect of Ashley Cole's imminent arrival at Chelsea.

That has alerted Roeder to the former Southampton man as an affordable option for bolstering his defence.

Roeder is anxious to build on Newcastle's good working relationship with Chelsea, which was struck during the signing of Damien Duff last week.

The 27-year-old Ireland international joined Newcastle for £5m.

Roeder has limited funds to strengthen his squad but England star Bridge, 26, is seen as a bargain because he has not got long left on his Chelsea deal.

Ironically, Bridge's potential arrival at Newcastle would threaten the future of former Chelsea defender Celestine Babayaro at St James' Park.

The Guardian are also running a smilar story with a fee of 1 million

Newcastle and Celtic are believed to be ready to offer Wayne Bridge a route out of Chelsea by preparing £1m bids for the left-back. The player faces an uncertain future at Stamford Bridge with Arsenal's Ashley Cole preparing to move across London and, concerned about keeping his England place, he is keen to secure first-team football.

Bridge is training with Chelsea's first-team squad here but is aware the Premiership champions hope Cole will join them before they move to Chicago on August 3 for their match against a Major League Soccer all stars team. Chelsea's chief executive Peter Kenyon will not join the team until they have relocated to the mid-west, remaining in London to tie up transfer business.

That will focus on finalising Cole's £20m-plus move from the Emirates Stadium - in spite of the insistence last week of his manager Arsène Wenger that there had been no dialogue between the two clubs - and Kenyon's discussions are now expected to involve talks about Bridge's exit. Newcastle, who paid Chelsea £5m to take Damien Duff north last week, are hoping to return to the club for a similarly good-value signing.

NEWCASTLE boss Glenn Roeder was last night preparing a player-plus-cash swoop for West Ham striker Marlon Harewood.

Roeder is desperate for a new centre-forward with Alan Shearer having retired and Michael Owen crocked.

So the Toon chief has turned to Harewood, 26, who bagged 16 goals last year and helped West Ham to the FA Cup final.

Hammers boss Alan Pardew is desperate to keep hold of Harewood and has repeatedly stated he will not sell ANY of his strikers this summer.

But Roeder, who had weighed up making a move for Harewood’s strike partner Dean Ashton, will test his ex-club’s resolve.

He is going to offer wantaway midfield ace James Milner, 20, on top of a £3million bid.

Pards is a known admirer of the England Under-21 star.

Newcastle’s players were grounded after their 2-1 victory in a friendly at Norwich on Wednesday.

Roeder’s men were strapped into their plane seats when the pilot decided it was too dangerous to take off because of the weather.

Torrential rain was falling and lightning strikes were lighting up the sky as they were transferred to a coach for the 360-mile journey to Tyneside.

The players were pleased by the decision.

One said: “There were no complaints when the pilot decided it wasn’t safe.

“Some had said it was dangerous before the pilot made his announcement.”.

I'd have Harewood here in the same way that I'd have Angel here, but if he's the big summer striker signing, we're still in trouble.

166242[/snapback]

yeah i agree, both are good players who would definitely add to the squad, but neither could be relied on to make an effective strikeforce with shola.

£3M + Milner for Harewood? No fucking thanks. No better than Shola imo.

£100k + Faye and I might be intersted.

This is the level I was fearing we were at before my hopes were raised from the signing of Duff.

Bridge at £1m-£2m is a lot more interesting though.

Harewood is too inconsistant, big powerful but not the quality that we need to replace Shearer (not possible I know) I would rather have Ashton but I can't see that happening.

Glad to see someone else just isn't convinced by Harewood. He was garbage up here last season.

166261[/snapback]

He's just a average footballer who scored a few goals (inc quite a few pens iirc) with a team coming up on a high. I doubt he will reach double figures this season.

Not bothered about Harewood but Bridge for a bargain fee of £1-2m would do very nicely.

We're desperate for a top class LB and not cover for Baba as Anal Oliver keeps insisting, we want Baba as cover for somebody better than him!

As others have said - Bridge - yes (especially at that price) but I would only want Harewood if he was costing next to nowt and we were definitely going in for another striker.

definite no for Harewood - very average striker who should only be a buy for promoted teams.

The one good thing to come of out of the abramovich ownership is the summer sales of top class players. The benefit for us is that we already own a few ex chelsea that they see this place as a home from home!

Harewood is quicker, stronger, has better control, and is a better header of the ball than Ameobi. The finishing of both is erratic, but Harewood is more direct, and I'd certainly have him over Ameobi. But then I'd have a lot of players over Ameobi.

I'd say harewood is slightly better, but not by alot. I wouldn't go out and pay any more then 1-2mil for him. And since we already have a striker of dubious quality in ameobi i don't see the point in buying another just as we are low on stikers, its the definition of panic buy.