NE1

sweetleftpeg

I play football at Marden Sprts centre on a Thursday night and last night the centre and it's car park were shut off for an 'NE1' event. As soon as I got there I could smell Christian Youth, but what followed I found a bit creepy. They had a band on who between playing unmemorable durge rock started going on about 'Jesus Christ loving you all'. The worst part was when some guy (obviously the leader' got the mike and started telling some story about his son getting eating some honey and getting it stuck all over him; 'you've all got sticky honey on you in the form of sins, but Jesus Christ can clean you.' This was in front of kids from about 10-15 I reckon. I'm not a fan of religion, but this just felt like scary brainwashing.

If Jesus was a sexy woman and wanted to lick honey off me, then I'm converted. However, I'm not so keen on the traditional bearded man thing.  :D

166271[/snapback]

It's never stopped Gemmil tbh

166275[/snapback]

:blush:

My main problem with people who are a bit too into Jesus is that they tend to be the exact opposite of what he be like, i.e. intolerant, judgemental etc. Plus anyone who likes that Christian Rock shit wants crucifying :D

In America, there has been a move away from traditional churches to evangelical churches, which quite frankly are scarey. Could the same thing happen here?

Personally, I have no problem with the CoE and catholic churches, I guess in the same way the old tory party (pre-Thatcher) seemed fairly benign, but I do find the stuff described by SLP as quite disturbing....

My main problem with people who are a bit too into Jesus is that they tend to be the exact opposite of what he be like, i.e. intolerant, judgemental etc. Plus anyone who likes that Christian Rock shit wants crucifying :D

166277[/snapback]

Word up homie! I can dig that! :blush:

166277[/snapback]

Word up homie! I can dig that! :blush:

166282[/snapback]

Meant to be like 'tis wot I was meant to saying dair mon :razz:

I checked out their website and they do describe themselves as an Evangelical Church group. They had skate parks and a football cage thing to try and entice the kids in. It was truly weird, the bloke's who were on the mikes were trying to talk 'street' by using 'yoof' words which were then intermitted with 'Jesus Christ' and 'God'. Bizarre to listen to (I was in goal, so couldn't do nowt but listen to it for half an hour).

Typical American style evangelism - they come out every summer when it gets warm and then fade away in the cooler weather - been like that for years - I can remember yanks when i was bairn tyring to teach us baseball and US football - we went along with it for a week or so but they were sooooooo boring every one quit

Religious biologists - WTF is that all about??

Either we evolved from apes or God 'made' us - can't be both!

166298[/snapback]

God created evolution.

Easy. :D

Suppose it's a bit of a modern take on the old Vicar in jeans at the church youth club from years gone by. Equally cringeworthy too.

Religious biologists - WTF is that all about??

Either we evolved from apes or God 'made' us - can't be both!

166298[/snapback]

God created evolution.

Easy. :D

166301[/snapback]

Knew someone would come back with that! :blush:

Typical American style evangelism - they come out every summer when it gets warm and then fade away in the cooler weather  - been like that for years - I can remember yanks when i was  bairn tyring to teach us baseball and US football - we went along with it for a week or so but they were sooooooo boring every one quit

166300[/snapback]

Erm...

Suppose it's a bit of a modern take on the old Vicar in jeans at the church youth club from years gone by. Equally cringeworthy too.

166302[/snapback]

The "sermon" at the wedding I went to a few weekends back was given by one of those types. He rattled on about the happy couple learning to understand each other's laaaanguage of loooove for about 10 minutes - which apparently boils down to the groom not playing Playstation every night and the bride telling him how great his work is - then raised his eyes to the heavens, summoned down a beatific smile and somehow managed to tie it all in with "living for God just like Jesus did". Fiiine...

Typical American style evangelism - they come out every summer when it gets warm and then fade away in the cooler weather  - been like that for years - I can remember yanks when i was  bairn tyring to teach us baseball and US football - we went along with it for a week or so but they were sooooooo boring every one quit

166300[/snapback]

Erm...

166315[/snapback]

:D That was my take on that too. I think he fell asleep momentarily half-way through and started writing about something else when he woke up.

166300[/snapback]

Erm...

166315[/snapback]

:D That was my take on that too. I think he fell asleep momentarily half-way through and started writing about something else when he woke up.

166319[/snapback]

image002.gif

tbh