Syd Barret - Omnibus

Jusoda Kid

Can't help getting the feeling that the rest of the band wanted rid anyway and they found the best excuse to get rid in him doing to much acid.

Nick Mason seems a right cunt if you ask me, don't know why, just does.

Would Floyd have been as big without Barrat supposedly flipping out and adding an air of mystery to the band? imo yes, they're tremendous.

Never been that into them really, find them a bit boring tbh. Dark Side of the Moon is class though.

166368[/snapback]

Wish you were here is my favourite. Try doing a couple of acid or a microdot the listening to them, I'll guarantee you won't be dissapointed. :D

Never been that into them really, find them a bit boring tbh. Dark Side of the Moon is class though.

166368[/snapback]

Wish you were here is my favourite. Try doing a couple of acid or a microdot the listening to them, I'll guarantee you won't be dissapointed. :D

166370[/snapback]

Sorry but I was. All my mates love them though.

166368[/snapback]

166370[/snapback]

:blush:

cant believe I missed omnibus last night though :razz: perhaps I'll have some joy on torrentspy tonight

oops have i just broken one of the new laws in here?

To be honest Syd Barret the musician has been dead for years.

Sad loss like he still enjoyed his painting and gardening,

I like later floyd as apposed to barret floyd.

But Barett floyd is still good and later floyd is dated, guitar solo's are two long

Can't help getting the feeling that the rest of the band wanted rid anyway and they found the best excuse to get rid in him doing to much acid.

Would Floyd have been as big without Barrat supposedly flipping out and adding an air of mystery to the band? imo yes, they're tremendous.

166356[/snapback]

at the time (cough, cough) they went a hell of a long way to try and keep him in the band and spent a lot of time trying to get him back - wayyyy beyond some others.....

but he wasn't anywhere near as influential or important as the meeja would have you think in the last couple of weeks - the best stuff they did was after he left anyway

166356[/snapback]

at the time (cough, cough) they went a hell of a long way to try and keep him in the band and spent a lot of time trying to get him back - wayyyy beyond some others.....

but he wasn't anywhere near as influential or important as the meeja would have you think in the last couple of weeks - the best stuff they did was after he left anyway

166407[/snapback]

pink floyd changed beyond recognition in the years following syd'd departure and it is the band they became which is one of the greatest bands of all time. That said I love the early stuff which really was very influential and 'out there'.

166356[/snapback]

166407[/snapback]

Roger Waters seemed the only one genuinely concerned for his welfare and judging by Nick Masons contribution he didn't seem to like the bloke very much

Bit dissapointed with the Omnibus special as it's the same thing they broadcast years ago and it's been out on DVD for ages aswell.

The Floyd wouldn't have been as big with Barrett at the helm, that is for sure. As they said the music they were writing didn't translate well to anywhere outside the Psychedelic scene in London and they only way they really got a foothold in the U.S. was by touring with Hendrix.

Syd was the second best song writer in Pink Floyd, Roger Waters was the best and it took Syd to have his drug induced breakdown for Waters to take the reigns and begin writing.

"Roger Waters seemed the only one genuinely concerned for his welfare and judging by Nick Masons contribution he didn't seem to like the bloke very much"

ahhhh but that's now really - a bit like asking Docherty (DRUG FIEND!!)'s mates what they think -

they tried, God knows - he was completley out of it on stage, on tour, in public and they kept trying to keep him going

when you try and help someone and they just don't help themselves then you get a bit "sod it - he can go his own way then" attitude

"Roger Waters seemed the only one genuinely concerned for his welfare and judging by Nick Masons contribution he didn't seem to like the bloke very much"

ahhhh but that's now really - a bit like asking Docherty (DRUG FIEND!!)'s mates what they think -

they tried, God knows - he was completley out of it on stage, on tour, in public and they kept trying to keep him going

when you try and help someone and they just don't help themselves then you get a bit "sod it - he can go his own way then" attitude

166416[/snapback]

Suppose so :D

Bit like me and my brother :blush:

Bit dissapointed with the Omnibus special as it's the same thing they broadcast years ago and it's been out on DVD for ages aswell.

The Floyd wouldn't have been as big with Barrett at the helm, that is for sure. As they said the music they were writing didn't translate well to anywhere outside the Psychedelic scene in London and they only way they really got a foothold in the U.S. was by touring with Hendrix.

Syd was the second best song writer in Pink Floyd, Roger Waters was the best and it took Syd to have his drug induced breakdown for Waters to take the reigns and begin writing.

166413[/snapback]

:D

Even Gilmour isnt bad....

166413[/snapback]

:D

Even Gilmour isnt bad....

166420[/snapback]

He can write music but can't write a lyric to save his life. Infact, the best post-Waters song is Rick Wright's Wearing the Inside Out from The Division Bell.

Great tune that.

EDIT: Bit harsh on Mr. Gilmour there. He can write decent lyrics but they're nothing compared to what Waters can write.

Edited by Ted Maul

To be honest Floyd have as much money as people can have..

Mostly proper musicians only want guitars anyway...and jets, and girls etc

166451[/snapback]

They turned down god knows how much to do a U.S. tour after Live8 and were the first and only band to donate all the profits from albums sold in the wake of Live8 to Make Poverty History IIRC.

Any made from a concert for Syd would probably go to a mental health or diabetic charity.

money, money money ...........................

166447[/snapback]

that was abba mate :D

166474[/snapback]

and Biggy Smalls feat P. Diddy

166451[/snapback]

They turned down god knows how much to do a U.S. tour after Live8 and were the first and only band to donate all the profits from albums sold in the wake of Live8 to Make Poverty History IIRC.

Any made from a concert for Syd would probably go to a mental health or diabetic charity.

166458[/snapback]

Yeah they turned down an absolutely obscene amount of money to reform and tour (as ironically have ABBA since they were mentioned in this thread!). And as you say started the idea of giving away any money earned from sales after live8. Also Gilmour gives shitloads to charities, he just doesn't make a fuss about it or mention it.

I don't think the band could have done anything more for Barrett at the point they left him behind as they had to continue as a band.

What was weird was how after 7 years of never hearing from him or seeing him he turned up just as they were recording Shine on you crazy diamond in tribute to him!