Juve eye Boumsong swap

Scottish Mag

Juventus have offered defender Jonathan Zebina in a swap deal for Newcastle United's Jean-Alain Boumsong, according to reports emanating out of France.

The Old Lady lost both their star centre backs Lilian Thuram and Fabio Cannavaro to Real Madrid earlier in the summer and coach Didier Deschamps is trying to rebuild for the tough challenge that lies ahead.

His team have been relegated to Serie B for the coming season for their involvement in the Italian match-fixing scandal and Deschamps has reportedly earmarked two French internationals to lead the back line.

Monaco captain Gael Givet, who has also been linked to Villarreal, and Boumsong (pictured) were both part of the Bleus squad which made it to the World Cup finals in Germany and Deschamps hopes they can lead his side's resurgence up the leagues.

"It is true I had contact with Juve and that the club wants to hire me for next season. But it is not the only trail," Givet told L'Equipe.

"There are other clubs which have recently shown an interest. But I am under contract with Monaco until June 2009, and if the officials want to refuse my departure, I will stay.

"On Thursday afternoon I talked with Marc Keller and Jean-Luc Ettori and they told me they absolutely want to keep me. On Monday I will take stock with my agent and the chairman and vice-chairman.

"I know what I owe Monaco. If the officials offer me a chance to leave that would be fine, but if they refused categorically I would go back to work."

Bianconeri are also reported to be chasing two Brazilians in Udinese defender Felipe Da Silva and Corinthians midfielder Ricardinho.

"Felipe? Yes, we are thinking about him," Juve general manager Alessio Secco confirmed.

No official negotiations have opened with either side yet, but Ricardinho has a European passport so there would be no issue regarding EU statuses.

Deschamps has already announced that no more players will be leaving the Stadio Delle Alpi, but Spanish reports still suggest that Valencia are ready to offer Juve €15 million (£10.2 million) for Argentinian midfielder Mauro German Camoranesi.

Both he and Zlatan Ibrahimovic's futures remain in doubt.

Zebina is as bad as Boumsong!

166489[/snapback]

He did win the world cup though! :blush:

(I know, I know....so did Gui'varch! :D)

166489[/snapback]

166494[/snapback]

Italy actually won the world cup.....

166528[/snapback]

Wasn't sure if he meant Zebina but I don't think he played for France in '98 (or even made the squad). Could be worng like.

166489[/snapback]

166494[/snapback]

Italy actually won the world cup.....

166528[/snapback]

Wasn't sure if he meant Zebina but I don't think he played for France in '98 (or even made the squad). Could be worng like.

166540[/snapback]

1 GK Bernard Lama 07 Apr 1963 West Ham United (ENG)

2 DF Vincent Candela 24 Oct 1973 AS Roma (ITA)

3 DF Bixente Lizarazu 09 Dec 1969 Bayern Munich (GER)

4 MD Patrick Vieira 23 Jun 1976 Arsenal (ENG)

5 DF Laurent Blanc 19 Nov 1965 Olympique Marseille

6 MD Youri Djorkaeff 09 Mar 1968 Internazionale (ITA)

7 MD Didier Deschamps 15 Oct 1968 Juventus (ITA)

8 DF Marcel Desailly 07 Sep 1968 AC Milan (ITA)

9 FW Stephane Guivarc'h 06 Sep 1970 AJ Auxerre

10 MD Zinedine Zidane 23 Jun 1972 Juventus (ITA)

11 MD Robert Pires 29 Oct 1973 FC Metz

12 FW Thierry Henry 17 Aug 1977 AS Monaco

13 MD Bernard Diomede 23 Jan 1974 AJ Auxerre

14 MD Alain Boghossian 27 Oct 1970 Sampdoria (ITA)

15 DF Lilian Thuram 01 Jan 1972 Parma (ITA)

16 GK Fabien Barthez 28 Jun 1971 AS Monaco

17 MD Emmanuel Petit 22 Sep 1970 Arsenal (ENG)

18 DF Frank Leboeuf 22 Jan 1968 Chelsea (ENG)

19 MD Christian Karembeu 03 Dec 1970 Real Madrid (SPA)

20 FW David Trezeguet 15 Oct 1977 AS Monaco

21 FW Christophe Dugarry 24 Mar 1972 Olympique Marseille

22 GK Lionel Charbonnier 25 Oct 1966 AJ Auxerre