Godfather

Holden McGroin

Style over substance tbf.

170861[/snapback]

I couldn't sit and watch a film that didn't involve me mentally, it's funny how the critics seem to have latched on to the beauty of it. It's definitely a beautiful movie, but it's not something that I noticed much. For me it's a little like HD, no matter how good it looks, after 5 minutes you don't notice it any more so it better do something to keep you interested. You could probably say the same about computer graphics and beautiful women (well, 30 seconds).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had made the assumption Johansson's character had written it based on her own first-hand experiences (I also thought it was based on a book).  I only realised it was Coppola when I saw it last weekend, but I'm still assuming it's based on her experiences.

170855[/snapback]

It is her. Her Ex-husband is Spike Jonze the pop video director (and excellent film director). The dizzy blonde is Cameron Diaz by all accounts, Spike Jonze cast her in Being John Malkovich. Must've wound Sofia up.

I've got to respect her for making it though because as far as I can see it makes her look like a complete tool and I don't know why Spike would put up with her shit.

I thought both main characters wandered around this beautiful, alien landscape with a sense of childlike wonderment the whole time, I didn't think they were ever offensive in their stereotypes. I'll admit I don't know much about Japanese culture, I've never been, but I found it interesting. Can you educate me as to what the sloppy cliches were? I obviously wouldn't want to carry around these misconceptions. What was the meaningful insight she was trying to offer, but failed?

170855[/snapback]

It wasn't just offending the Japanese. (Tthough she did with repeated digs at their English pronunciation. Not the characters, they played it with straight exasperation, but she kept focusing on it for comic effect. YOU'RE IN THEIR COUNTRY BITCH, LETS HEAR YOU SPEAK THEIR LANGUAGE). Bill Murray was a twat who didn't give a shit about his family, fair enough if he's grown distant from his wife but being a shit to his kids didn't endear me to him. Scarlett Johansen was an arrogant bitch who ridiculed everything. So a woman didn't know Evelyn Waugh was a man, is that reason enough to display utter contempt and walk away in the middle of a conversation.

I actually liked the film otherwise :blush:

170864[/snapback]

You don't think it's obvious that she's being self-critical there? At least questioning our snobbery of others; in whatever way, we all do it. What about when they let their hair down with the karaoke, and that evening in general? You seem pretty angry about it tbf :lol: conceited about their conceit? :lol:

You don't think it's obvious that she's being self-critical there?  At least questioning our snobbery of others; in whatever way, we all do it.  What about when they let their hair down with the karaoke, and that evening in general?  You seem pretty angry about it tbf :blush: conceited about their conceit? :lol:

I've got to respect her for making it though because as far as I can see it makes her look like a complete tool and I don't know why Spike would put up with her shit.

Don't lump me in with you lot, it's not "our snobbery", it's hers, and that of people that love the film.

Edited by Happy Face

Sort out your quotes!

Are you deliberately misunderstanding that I say "in whatever way, we all do it". Are you suggesting that you are not snobby about anything? As for the last sentence, I really hope you're taking the piss.

Fixed the quotes and won't respond, HF is seething tbh! :blush:

At the end of the day, you say anyone who likes this film is a snob, so I'm not allowed to think it's honest, because that would be WRONG! I think I preferred it when you had no standards. :lol:

Edited by DotBum

As I said, it's been years since I've seen it (when it came out at the cinema) so I'd struggle to elaborate. As I said, just my thoughts at the time - I've never had the urge to watch it again so I can't remember the particulars of stereotypes. I'm not the type of person who needs to watch action packed films, but I found Lost in Translation dull.

I think we're just going to have to beg to differ. I don't see why my not liking it need bother you.

171097[/snapback]

Dull is just a matter of taste, how could that bother me? I just picked up on the fact you labelled it pretentious, a word used often by people who haven't a clue what they're talking about. I was interested to see if you fitted into that category.

As I said, it's been years since I've seen it (when it came out at the cinema) so I'd struggle to elaborate. As I said, just my thoughts at the time - I've never had the urge to watch it again so I can't remember the particulars of stereotypes. I'm not the type of person who needs to watch action packed films, but I found Lost in Translation dull.

I think we're just going to have to beg to differ. I don't see why my not liking it need bother you.

171097[/snapback]

Dull is just a matter of taste, how could that bother me? I just picked up on the fact you labelled it pretentious, a word used often by people who haven't a clue what they're talking about. I was interested to see if you fitted into that category.

171118[/snapback]

:lol: She's not gonna like that. :blink:

I'm not really being snobby at all, I've challenged the view that the characters are conceited or the writer is pretentious, if you could give me a reasonale answer as to why it is, then fair enough, if you can't then why call it pretentious?

I hate it when people are told they 'don't get it'. That's just fucking taste, people can like what they like for whatever reason. I wouldn't hang around with people who said that kind of thing, it's pretty offensive, but the use of the word pretentious is a pet hate of mine, unless it's warranted. I was probably a bit harsh in the way I said it to you, I didn't actually say I put you in that category btw, but I may have been looking for a reaction. :blink:

I guess the problem is it's ages since you saw the film and can't remember the particular instances that made you form the opinion. I'd just be interested to debate it because I couldn't agree less and I genuinely think the opinions stated in this thread are the result of chips on shoulders. The vitriol displayed by HF is particularly worrying. :lol:

Fair enough. I do remember 'discussing' specifics of the film with those people at the time, but I've never felt the urge to watch it again so can't really remember. Or in fact 'discuss' it with them again. Or more to the point, go to the cinema with them...

In fairness, I probably would have thought it was OK if I'd watched it at home whilst reading the paper, but I felt let down by it at the cinema. I was sorely tempted to walk out half way through but I begrude not getting my money's worth. I only lasted twenty minutes with Shrek mind, that has been the only exception.

171134[/snapback]

:lol: I'm never speaking to you again!

I didn't see it in the cinema, I can't imagine it benefitting much from the big screen.

The vitriol displayed by HF is particularly worrying. :lol:

171132[/snapback]

I've bought the DVD after watching it at the cinema. I thought it was canny tbh. :blink:

I'm just pointing out what I think were it's flaws as it gets heaped with praise I don't think it deserves by people who can't say what's so great (in the true sense) about it.

I've bought the DVD after watching it at the cinema.  I thought it was canny tbh.   :lol:

I'm just pointing out what I think were it's flaws as it gets heaped with praise I don't think it deserves by people who can't say what's so great (in the true sense) about it.

171170[/snapback]

Are you looking for an answer there?

I generally don't read critics, and I certainly don't take them too seriously. If I need to I try to check the average rating on IMDb and The Guardian reviews to see if I can find an balance, but if I'd taken that seriously I'd have missed out on classics like Hurly Burly and Freddie Got Fingered, and countless others, no doubt.

I still reckon you lost it and came back a bit calmer btw, you were so broken you left your quotes in total disarray, it was a massacre. :blink:

Edited by DotBum

I've bought the DVD after watching it at the cinema.  I thought it was canny tbh.  :lol:

171170[/snapback]

Are you looking for an answer there?

I generally don't read critics, and I certainly don't take them too seriously. If I need to I try to check the average rating on IMDb and The Guardian reviews to see if I can find an balance, but if I'd taken that seriously I'd have missed out on classics like Hurly Burly and Freddie Got Fingered, and countless others, no doubt.

I still reckon you lost it and came back a bit calmer btw, you were so broken you left your quotes in total disarray, it was a massacre. :blink:

171175[/snapback]

I went away to watch The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre and To Have and Have Not. Two legitimate classics.

You've already said what you liked about it. And I pointed out where I disagreed. You see them as wide eyed innocents exploring new lands and I see them as bile filled shells of human despair finding fault with all around except their own clique. Nice arse at the start though.

I went away to watch The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre and To Have and Have Not.  Two legitimate classics.

You've already said what you liked about it.  And I pointed out where I disagreed.  You see them as wide eyed innocents exploring new lands and I see them as bile filled shells of human despair finding fault with all around except their own clique.  Nice arse at the start though.

171179[/snapback]

I haven't really, that's not particularly what I liked about it, I think I was answering another point when I said that.

I agree about the arse, that's really why I've watched it several times. Are you suggesting those films are :blink: legitimate :lol: classics and this is not btw? :lol:

EDIT: Oh, no you're poking fun at the classics I mentioned...

Edited by DotBum

Sort out your quotes!

Are you deliberately misunderstanding that I say "in whatever way, we all do it".  Are you suggesting that you are not snobby about anything?  As for the last sentence, I really hope you're taking the piss.

Fixed the quotes and won't respond, HF is seething tbh! :lol:

At the end of the day, you say anyone who likes this film is a snob, so I'm not allowed to think it's honest, because that would be WRONG!  I think I preferred it when you had no standards. :lol:

170882[/snapback]

:blink:

Fixed the quotes and fucked off. I'm not bothered by it enough to be seething. If you said The Descent was shit on the other hand, we'd have a problem.

I liked the film too. As I've said. I think it's flawed though. People that LOVE it, won't hear a word against it (as you'd expect).

I see them as bile filled shells of human despair finding fault with all around except their own clique. 

Sounds like this board tbh.

Is liking the characters in a film a necessary requisite in enjoying a film btw? I'd prefer to think believing the characters is more important.

I see them as bile filled shells of human despair finding fault with all around except their own clique. 

Sounds like this board tbh.

Is liking the characters in a film a necessary requisite in enjoying a film btw? I'd prefer to think believing the characters is more important.

171305[/snapback]

I'm struggling to think of a film I like that doesn't have a character I can sympathise with.

Including Lost in Translation. My over criticism of it has been honed by years of goading my mate who thinks it's one of the ten greatest films ever. Lost in Translation bummers are the easiest to wind up. FACT HUNT.

I'm struggling to think of a film I like that doesn't have a character I can sympathise with.

Including Lost in Translation.  My over criticism of it has been honed by years of goading my mate who thinks it's one of the ten greatest films ever.  Lost in Translation bummers are the easiest to wind up. FACT HUNT.

171348[/snapback]

Zoo, didn't sympathise with any of the characters, enjoyed the film.

To keep things on topic, the more I think about other movies in this thread, the more vastly over-rated I believe The Godfather is!

hasn't that more to do with you preferring your Gangster\crime\drama delivered in a different way?

instead of Godfather being over-rated is it not just that you rate other styles of films higher?

hasn't that more to do with you preferring your Gangster\crime\drama delivered in a different way?

instead of Godfather being over-rated is it not just that you rate other styles of films higher?

171388[/snapback]

:lol: Probably.

171388[/snapback]

:blink: Probably.

171434[/snapback]

It's a bit boring tbh. You can't say that though :lol: