NUFC VS PSV

Tom

2 goals came within 12 minutes of that, presumably Parker was pushed further forward.

166845[/snapback]

More pace and penetration on the right wing?

edit through Milner

166847[/snapback]

First came from a Milner cross, the penalty came from a long ball.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its only a pre-season friendly and yet the mackem board has several threads devoted to our match, us getting beat and the crowd not being big enough!!! Just when you think they can't get any sadder they never fail to surprise you :lol:

Its only a pre-season friendly and yet the mackem board has several threads devoted to our match, us getting beat and the crowd not being big enough!!!  Just when you think they can't get any sadder they never fail to surprise you  ;)

166858[/snapback]

Perhaps someone should remind them who their chairman appointed as there new manager...! :lol:

Truly dreadful until the switch to 4-4-2, then we looked much better, Milner should have equalised with the last kick. Defensively very worrying though, it was like a knife through butter at times. Shay made a wonderful save at one point and Parker had to make a last gasp tackle to deny a sitter after the PSV lad had wandered through the rest of them unopposed.

Duff was alright, nowt special, clearly not match fit yet obviously, but gave a few glimpses of his flair.

Truly dreadful until the switch to 4-4-2, then we looked much better, Milner should have equalised with the last kick. Defensively very worrying though, it was like a knife through butter at times. Shay made a wonderful save at one point and Parker had to make a last gasp tackle to deny a sitter after the PSV lad had wandered through the rest of them unopposed.

Duff was alright, nowt special, clearly not match fit yet obviously, but gave a few glimpses of his flair.

166871[/snapback]

How did our midfield perform? I've heard a lot of people say Ramage was one the main reasons why our defence was so terrible as most of their attacks came down the right hand side?

Midfield were limited by the abortion of a formation they were using, but they were alright, particularly after the change.

Ramage was and is appalling. Stephen Carr got voted MOTM, I think whoever voted for him must have been helping themselves to the corporate mini-bar while the game was on. Mind you, no-one was that much better. Parker and Emre probably the pick of the bunch.

Midfield were limited by the abortion of a formation they were using, but they were alright, particularly after the change.

Ramage was and is appalling. Stephen Carr got voted MOTM, I think whoever voted for him must have been helping themselves to the corporate mini-bar while the game was on. Mind you, no-one was that much better. Parker and Emre probably the pick of the bunch.

166873[/snapback]

I hope this makes Roeder realise we need 2 full backs, left back has always been a worry, especially if we are going to play ramage there when babs is injured :lol: and Carr motm? lol I think you may be right there mate, I didn't even realise how slow he was until I seen him play irl at St james park 2 weeks ago. Unfortunely I don't think we can solve all our problems in this one transfer window.

Im worried about Ramage, he was awful last season and it looks like he's not getting any better now. A full back is starting to look nearly as important as a striker now.

Im worried about Ramage, he was awful last season and it looks like he's not getting any better now. A full back is starting to look nearly as important as a striker now.

166881[/snapback]

I think 2 new fullbacks are just as important now if not more important than 2 new strikers, fair enough we can be scoring goals but if we are conceding the same amount at the back well we are back at square one. Our team has already showed we can score goals but our defence when put under pressure has been shown to be frail thanks to 2 fullbacks who imo are past it. Carr is too slow and defensively suspect where as babs is good going forward in terms of linking up with N'zogbia but he's defensive positional play is atrocious and often leaves us exposed.

give him some time

166885[/snapback]

Ramage isn't good enough for the premership, and it's as simple as that. We need to buy 2 new fullbacks imo if we are to mount a serious challenge of getting into the top 4.

166881[/snapback]

I think 2 new fullbacks are just as important now if not more important than 2 new strikers, fair enough we can be scoring goals but if we are conceding the same amount at the back well we are back at square one. Our team has already showed we can score goals but our defence when put under pressure has been shown to be frail thanks to 2 fullbacks who imo are past it. Carr is too slow and defensively suspect where as babs is good going forward in terms of linking up with N'zogbia but he's defensive positional play is atrocious and often leaves us exposed.

give him some time

166885[/snapback]

Ramage isn't good enough for the premership, and it's as simple as that. We need to buy 2 new fullbacks imo if we are to mount a serious challenge of getting into the top 4.

166886[/snapback]

Where are we gonna get that kind of money from?

Where are we gonna get that kind of money from?

166887[/snapback]

I stated earlier in this topic that I doubt we can fix all our problems in the one transfer window, I don't believe we have the money for the amount of problems we need to correct but then again, we don't exactly know how much we have to spend this summer (at least I'm not aware of it). I'm just stating that imo our 2 full backs at the moment are not good enough and that bringing in 2 fullbacks is just as important as 2 strikers although at the present time I'd prefer it if we brought in 2 new strikers as it would give our midfield someone to supply and would relase the pressure on our defence. That said I don't think many teams in the premership can trouble us like PSV and again it was only a frienldy so I'm am content with our defence at the moment aslong as we do get 2 strikers. But there has been reports that wayne bridge is going for 3 mil and surely that is an opportunity we can not afford to miss?

Edited by Legacy

It was so good that I have ABSOLUTELY no recollection of their 3rd goal, and I was sat watching it. Wherever my mind wandered, it must have been nice!

Ramage was poor, as was Nobby. Carr was mediocre but not as bad as some people are making out. Duff was obviously trying hard, Shola lolloped, Charlie was quiet, Butt didn't deserve to be booed and the whole thing was thoroughly uninspiring. That's all.

Well, my thoughts on it.

Before KO, crowd looked to be around 25k if that? PA system seemed quiet. At KO, the music volume went up but I struggled to understand the PA bloke. Seemed muffled.

First half was pretty even and not that great. Shola up on his own gave us a toothless attack. when Shola did have the ball he was keeping hold of it well and trying to make his way through psv on his own until he eventually lost it. Notebly he wasnt getting that much support at times from the midfield.

In te midfield Parker was good, mainly at dropping back and winning the ball with some solid tackles. Emre also looked lively making some great runs. Solano was pretty poor and Duff didnt get into any kind of stride. NZogbia also seemed a little muted.

At the back, Ramage was at LB and was poor. Carr was at RB and though made some canny run forward at times, was exposed at the back by their nippy winger. Taylor was caught out a couple of times and Bramble done ok. Skied a couple of clearances but overall nothing drastic. Shay made a great save before their first goal.

As for their 3rd goal, I assumed it happened when I nipped to the toilet. At half time I thought we were 2-0 down. I left the ground thinking we'd drew 2-2! Wasnt until I got to te bar someone told me they had scored 3. I asked the wife why she didnt tell me about their 3rd and she said she hadnt noticed. Naturally I gave her some stick but by the sounds of it, it went past fairly un-noticed anyway.

So, second half and a few changes made. HT was Moore on for Taylor. Moore settled right in and looked sharp. When Luque and Milner came on it did make a difference. Milner was causing more problems down the right than Nobby did, however his crossing isnt as accurate. He was getting behind them but the ball in was at times poor. that said, this did lead to our first goal. End of the first and start of the second half before he was subbed Duff was greatly improved causing them problems. Getting behind and holding on to the ball well.

Butt had came on with them and, well, I was actually embarrassed when he got booed. Again after a couple of touches then later on it stopped. Butt actually done ok after a dodgy first few mins. Luque looked ok at times when he had the ball, but often didnt seem that keen to chase for it. We did look more of a threat though 2nd half, mainly due to the 2nd striker.

Alan Obrien came on late on and while he is fast as owt, he never had a chance to do anything. Krul came on for given at the end also but I dont think he touched the ball.

Our best team I think would have been:

Given, Carr, Bramble, Moore, Ramage (as no othre choice), Solano (close one on Milner. Milner has pace and Nobby has crossing), Parker, Emre, Duff (on 2nd half display when he came alive and caused problems). Shola & Luque.

Not sure how Carr won MotM either. For me it was prob Emre or Parker.

All in all, what you expect from a pre-season. Clearly showed our need for a striker and LB though.

On Duff I do think he will be a great signing once he settles in and gets his fitness.

It was so good that I have ABSOLUTELY no recollection of their 3rd goal, and I was sat watching it.  Wherever my mind wandered, it must have been nice!

Ramage was poor, as was Nobby.  Carr was mediocre but not as bad as some people are making out. Duff was obviously trying hard, Shola lolloped, Charlie was quiet, Butt didn't deserve to be booed and the whole thing was thoroughly uninspiring.  That's all.

166897[/snapback]

So Butt got booed? Can I just state that this whole boo-your-own-players-you-dislike culture that is entering English football sickening. :lol:

Sure is. I just cant get my head around it. How the hell its meant to inspire any of the team or pick them up etc baffles me. Fair enough dont like a player if you must, but dont try and bring the rest of the team down let alone get on that players back. Just what these narrow minded idiots try to achieve by doing so I really have no clue.

:lol: