Gatlin admits to Drug Fiend staus

Rob W

Gatlin admits failing drugs test

World and Olympic 100 metres champion Justin Gatlin has admitted failing a drugs test in April.

The American, 24, was told the news by the United States Anti-Doping Agency.

He said: "I have been informed that after a relay race I ran in Kansas City on 22 April, I tested positive for 'testosterone or its precursors'. I cannot account for these results, because I have never knowingly used any banned substance or authorised anyone to administer such a substance to me." He added: "Since learning of the positive test, I have been doing everything in my power to find out what caused this to happen.

It is simply not consistent with either my character or my confidence in my God-given athletic ability to cheat in any way

Justin Gatlin

"I have been and will continue to cooperate fully with Usada as it moves forward with the process it has initiated and hope that when all the facts are revealed it will be determined that I have done nothing wrong."

Gatlin tested positive for an amphetamine at the 2001 US junior championships at the University of Tennessee.

A subsequent ban was overturned after it was discovered the illegal substances were part of the medication he had been taking for a decade to combat attention deficit disorder.

But the International Association of Athletics Federerations made it clear at the time that a further doping violation would signal a life ban for Gatlin.

In his statement on Saturday, Gatlin added: "That experience made me even more vigilant to make certain that I do not come into contact with any banned substance for any reason whatsoever, because any additional anti-doping rule offence could mean a lifetime ban from the sport that I love.

USA Track & Field is gravely concerned that Justin Gatlin has tested positive for banned substances

Craig Masback,

USATF chief executive

"Since the positive test at the University of Tennessee, I have been involved with efforts to educate people about the dangers of using drugs and would never do anything to disappoint my fans and supporters.

"It is simply not consistent with either my character or my confidence in my God-given athletic ability to cheat in any way."

Athletics had been waiting all year to see a showdown between world record holders Gatlin and Powell, but Gatlin has not raced since June because of injuries and missed Friday's London Grand Prix.

Gatlin came into the sport from an American Football background and only turned professional in 2003.

He won the Olympic 100m title in Athens in 2004 and followed that up by taking the sprint double of 100m and 200m at last year's World Championships in Helsinki.

Gatlin then matched Asafa Powell's world record time of 9.77 seconds in Qatar in May of this year.

In a statement, USATF chief executive Craig Masback said: "USA Track & Field is gravely concerned that Justin Gatlin has tested positive for banned substances."

He added: "We hope Justin has not committed a doping offence, and we await the completion of the adjudication process."

;)

If only someone had introduced alex to the world of anabolic steroids when he was a burgeoning track talent.  He could have retired a disgraced millionaire by now.

167296[/snapback]

Track talent? :lol: Cooking up during the egg and spoon race would be about his level.

:P

If only someone had introduced alex to the world of anabolic steroids when he was a burgeoning track talent.  He could have retired a disgraced millionaire by now.

167296[/snapback]

Track talent? :lol: Cooking up during the egg and spoon race would be about his level.

167297[/snapback]

;) Tetty and spoon for us paupers tbh

Johnson dismisses sabotage claims

Michael Johnson has rubbished claims from Justin Gatlin's coach Trevor Graham that the sprinter's failed drugs test was a case of deliberate sabotage.

Graham said an aggrieved masseur rubbed testosterone cream into Gatlin's legs believing the sprinter had him sacked.

But BBC pundit Johnson said Graham could not be taken seriously as several of his clients were serving drugs bans.

The US track legend told the Daily Telegaph: "It's a new twist on an old excuse. Graham has no credibility."

Olympic and world 100m champion Gatlin, 24, has protested his innocence after announcing that he had tested positive at the Kansas Relays in April.

Even if Gatlin is innocent, he will be suspected forever and will see the danger of his continued association with Graham

Michael Johnson 

He faces a lifetime ban for a second offence following a positive test for an amphetamine at the 2001 US Junior Championships which was later overturned but not annulled.

He should learn his fate within a week in a hearing before the United States Anti-doping Agency (USADA).

However, Graham is insistent his athlete is the victim of sabotage.

He told the Washington Post: "We know who the person is who actually did this.

"We are trying to make sure we can prove his innocence, and we hope this individual has the guts to come forward and say he did it."

But Johnson , a five-time Olympic gold medallist, wrote: "Graham has had several athletes who have tested positive or been banned from tack and field.

"Yet Gatlin has continued his association with Graham knowing it would probably taint him.

"Even if Gatlin is innocent, he will be suspected forever and is about the see the danger of his continued association with Graham."

Graham, who also coached the disgraced former world record holder Tim Montgomery, was the whistle-blower who launched the Balco steroid investigation in California.

He sent in the syringe to the authorities that sparked the scandal that rocked American athletics.

Gatlin should be banned for life unless he can quickly come up with proof that he did not knowingly take a banned substance

Michael Johson 

And Johnson, a nine-time world champion said: "I was always disappointed that more people did not ask the question: where did he get the syringe from?"

The World 200/400m record holder added: "With a confirmed A and B sample... Gatlin should be banned for life unless he can quickly come up with proof that he did not knowingly take a banned substance.

"Circumstantial evidence produced by Gatlin, his coach and his lawyers that someone else is responsible should not be nearly enough.

"Graham should also be banned for life due to his involvement with an alarming number of athletes who have tested positive while training under him."

Athletics' governing body the IAAF on Monday re-iterated its policy of an athlete's "strict liability".

A spokesman said: "Whatever is found in an athlete's body when tested is his or her responsibility alone.

"We have been advising athletes for many years now of this strict liability policy and encouraged them to be very cautious when receiving any form of treatment."

Johnson sticking the boot in a bit, but it must be gutting when a sport you loved and excelled at gets called into question by a cheating little shit that's made millions out of it.

jonson was a genetic freak himself though, nobody would ever have that kind of speed endurance naturally that he had.... gatlin needed help, so resorted to drugs.

think about it when johnson ran that 19.32 200 metres i knew that for 10-15 years no one was going to get near it. he has every right to stick the needle into gatlin as he has been caught....

feel sorry for his fans and family, what a let down.

I was in Calgary when Johnstone won

Day 1 - "Canadaian Hero Wins GOLD!"

Day 2 - Jamaican Immigrant  is Drug Fiend!"

167703[/snapback]

:lol: That was the impression the Canadians gave the rest of the World like. I still think the actual race, i.e. the 100 metres final in Seoul, was the best 100 metre race I've ever seen. It was a real event with the rivalry between Johnson and Lewis and the former blew the rest of them away. Shame he cheated though. He was on FiveLive yesterday claiming the fans and the sponsors aren't too bothered if the athletes are on drugs, they just want to see the fastest runners. That's probably how he justifies to himself what he did I suppose.

Why stop with the odd pill?

He'd be even faster if he had a motorbike...................................... :lol:

Edited by Rob W

They should let them take any drugs they wish, why claim "banned" drugs as being an unfair advantage, they are all on dietary supplements, and use state of the art running shoes.

Unless all the entrants are all on a diet of bananas and all-bran and run in flip-flops, why agrue the toss over which chemicals are on the IOC's list ?

As long as they aren't getting towed by a motorbike why worry.

:lol:

It would only take 18 months before you'd hear the "put-put-put" as they lined up

Addidas "Kawasaki" runners...................

Why stop with the odd pill?

He'd be even faster if he had a motorbike...................................... :lol:

167785[/snapback]

I think someone's already thought of racing motorbikes Berb.

Not in the Men's 100m at the Olympics........................

one artificial aid is much the same as another once you sell the pass after all

maybe one of them rocket packs????????

Not in the Men's 100m at the Olympics........................

one artificial aid is much the same as another once you sell the pass after all

maybe one of them rocket packs????????

167917[/snapback]

Why stop there man, I say lets have the Real wacky races.

Dibs on Penelope Pitstop tbh