Magpies "supremo" ready to spend

Scottish Mag

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd says he is still working hard to bring new faces to the Premiership club after capturing Damien Duff.

The former Chelsea winger made his Magpies debut to a raucous reception in a pre-season friendly against PSV Eindhoven on Saturday, but the 3-2 defeat to the Dutch champions reinforced the notion that the Premiership club cannot rest on their laurels after signing the Republic of Ireland international.

With Alan Shearer retiring and Michael Owen expected to be out injured for the majority of the season a striker is a priority for Glenn Roeder's side, and the club have been linked with both Feyenoord's Dirk Kuyt and West Ham's Dean Ashton.

Newcastle may also be looking to strengthen their backline, with reports on Sunday suggesting that Sol Campbell is a target, and chairman Shepherd says he is hoping to inject more new faces before the transfer window closes.

"We're aware that we still need to strengthen and we're working towards more signings," said Shepherd.

"Patience is important in getting the right players.

"The transfer deadline is the last day of August, which is still over a month away."

However Shepherd has allowed himself to bask in the glory of Duff's cut-price £5 million arrival from Stamford Bridge, saying the signing could eventually be seen as one of The Magpies' most astute pieces of business.

"We smashed the world record when we paid £15 million for Alan Shearer in 1996 and in terms of impact we will probably never make a more important signing," said Shepherd in The Sunday Mirror.

"We also proved the size of our ambition by luring Michael Owen from Real Madrid last summer.

"But in its own way the capture of Damien could turn out to be one of our best pieces of business.

"When you consider that we have got a world class player who cost £17 million three years ago for £5 million, Duff has to one of our top signings."

Meanwhile the star, who showed glimpses of his talent during the game against PSV, has stated he would be keen to end his career at St James' Park.

"I see myself finishing my career here at Newcastle," Duff told the Sunday Sun.

"I'm 27 and I would like to think I have a good eight years in me.

"My contract here will take me to 32, but I will put my heart and soul into the club and hopefully stay here longer."

Freddy is a dual edged sword tbh

he is absolutely one of the most financially supportive chairmen in the Premiership, but at times his need to please gets in the way of good business sense. See Gullit, Dalglish, Souness appointments and token "big name" signatures instead of a genuine long term plan.

Meanwhile the star, who showed glimpses of his talent during the game against PSV, has stated he would be keen to end his career at St James' Park.

"My contract here will take me to 32, but I will put my heart and soul into the club and hopefully stay here longer."

Totally committed to the cause - it's refreshing to hear someone talking like that :lol:

Totally committed to the cause - it's refreshing to hear someone talking like that :lol:

167104[/snapback]

Here for his last pay day tbh

Why the cynicism??

167110[/snapback]

Just been thinking the last few days about why we actually signed him. I know at that price it was too good to miss out on, but until we see a top class striker signing, I'm not gonna be happy about it.

pardon!? Weve spent about 3times more than boro on players. And as for that 100mil on players, we ust be getting up there by now

17mil owen

10mil luque

8mil boumsong

9mil robert

5mil duff

7mil parker

4mil emre

4mil carr

and around that time we had the likes of ferguson, cort, bramble, marcelino.

Weve spent a good 70-80mil on players in the last few years

I'd like to see our income against our expenditure in comparison to 'Boro's before I said Freddy was a more supportive chairman or not.

but as I said before, it's all well and good throwing money at the problem, but as we've spent on a plateau with Chelsea and Man U over the last decade, where is the return?

Freddy made poor judgements both in the transfer market (it is after all his money) and more importantly in filling the top spot, going for a big name, ahead of the right man

I'm still waiting for the £100mil that Shepherd said we had to spend in 2000 or whatever it was. Not keeping much hope like..

167172[/snapback]

According to .COM, and not taking into account any of the fees which were undisclosed, we've spent £124.09m since 1st January 2000.

In the same time we've only recouped £56.7m in disclosed fees making a net spend of £67.39m

One thing you can't accuse Fat Fred of is not stumping up the cash. He's crap in other areas, granted!