10 years ago today.....

Craig

...we made our one and only signing that summer - a certain Alan Shearer!

Remember it like it was yesterday, sat in lounge at my parents house watching the Olympics when my Mam shouted down the stairs "Have you heard who Newcastle have signed?"

:lol:

To which I bet you grabbed your football took it outside and started hitting it against the garage door then celebrating like Shearer? ;):lol:

I can't really remember, tbh. I can just remeber the back pages. I think it was my dad & brother who were hopping about when they told me.

Craig will also remember Shearer's first words to the Newcastle fans, the sooperfan he is :lol:

By the way, would we be in a better shape today if we hadn't signed Shearer?

167096[/snapback]

I was there at his unveiling, yes :P

And to Boyo, you're almost right - spent time reading through teletext to make sure it wasn't me Mam having a joke, went upstairs and immediately tried to sign him on Championship Manager and then off down the park with my mates for a kick around! ;)

Still bring me to tear if I remember the lethal partnership of Shearer-Ferdinand. 49 goals between them in one season in all competition...

Still regret the day when Dalglish decide to sold Ferdinand and Ginola :lol:

Still bring me to tear if I remember the lethal partnership of Shearer-Ferdinand. 49 goals between them in one season in all competition...

Still regret the day when Dalglish decide to sold Ferdinand and Ginola :lol:

167253[/snapback]

Sir Les looks like Cuba Gooding Jnr in 'Radio' in that picture tbh.

PS this meant the world to me as the alternative was he was finally going to sign for Man Ure, which living in Mcr, would have broken my heart. Andy Cole all awa again tbh, which i couldnt have dealt with.

Ledge. :lol:

£15m wasted in reality - when you consider the quality of centre halfs we've had in the intervening 10 years it has pretty much undone all of Shearers good work.

Not Shearers fault though.

167269[/snapback]

That new hook of yours still not taken a bite? :lol:

Craig will also remember Shearer's first words to the Newcastle fans, the sooperfan he is :lol:

By the way, would we be in a better shape today if we hadn't signed Shearer?

167096[/snapback]

Oooooh, now that's an interesting question!

The biggest single factor in things going (relatively) tits up was, by far, the departure of Keegan. I guess we'll never know if we'd be better off without Shearer's arrival but I would suggest not. Assuming Keegan had still left, I'm not convinced any of his successors would have spent the money any more wisely.

Nobody seems willing to answer it though.

167654[/snapback]

We'll never know as there is too many ifs and buts. The players bought with that money may have turned out shite and a waste of money or may have given us a really strong squad.

What if Shearer hadn't got the injuries he had here and we had Shearer as good as he was when we first signed him for his time here instead of his spells out with serious injury and the detirioration they caused him afterwards.

Its a tough call really as you can see how buying 3-4 quality players with the money may have worked out better, but it could easilly have failed and we would have missed out on the sheer pleasure and enjoyment of signing him and watching him play for NUFC.

167654[/snapback]

bit of a no-brainer that's why

167656[/snapback]

Honestly? I think some might disagree with you there.

167667[/snapback]

i dont ever think shearer was anything but a great transfer for us, but unfortunately for years it seemed the team were chosen around him, often in recent times to our detriment. It has prevented us from changing our tactics from anything other than get the ball to shearer.

167654[/snapback]

bit of a no-brainer that's why

167656[/snapback]

Honestly? I think some might disagree with you there.

167667[/snapback]

i dont ever think shearer was anything but a great transfer for us, but unfortunately for years it seemed the team were chosen around him, often in recent times to our detriment. It has prevented us from changing our tactics from anything other than get the ball to shearer.

167678[/snapback]

Exactly. I'm not saying it's Shearer's fault, but sometimes I wonder if things would be better for us now if we'd never signed him.

That said, how many players have been influenced to join us because of him? Owen for one, Parker another. I guess there have been quite a few down the years.