£18.6m

Gemmill

I have to say like, right now if I had the choice between Spurs and Newcastle, and had no affiliation to either club, and discounting wages, I would go straight for Spurs without hesitation.  They seem to have a really professional set-up, they have the lure of London, they don't have as checkered a recent history of comedy manager sackings/signings etc. etc. 

I think it's wages and not much more that's giving us an advantage in our transfer dealings tbph.

167509[/snapback]

Whats the lure of London?

Last time I checked, it was full of gangs, cunts, ignorant tossers, spurs fans, and it had the awful smell of scum about it.

167514[/snapback]

Don't get me wrong, I like Newcastle but I think to someone who isn't from the area etc. London is (generally) a nicer place to live if you're loaded.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is annoying though that when for the first time in many years, Spurs are actually a rival to us, (instead of the fantasy belief of their fans and cocnkey wankers in the media that they are) that manu go and hand them a shitload of money!

Thanks to Souness (and by prox Fat Fred) there are teams now level with us or even slightly ahead that shouldn't be close to us and we have a big job on our hands.

167488[/snapback]

The likes of Parker, Emre & Duff still preferred us to them, despite them having their best squad for decades.

Says a lot to me :lol:

167492[/snapback]

I agree, even though Spurs fans will cry and whinge that its only because we pay more in wages, the fact remains that players will choose NUFC over alot of clubs. Because of the money yes, but also our size, the fans reputation, the fact that nearly every year for ages we are in europe etc. etc.

167498[/snapback]

But mainly because of the money. You're buying their bullshit as well Papa!

167505[/snapback]

Maybe its because its not what motivates me but i don't see every single premiership player in existence as being solely motivated by the biggest pay packet (especially when both clubs are offering obscene money) and i actually think enough of some individuals that they will manage to factor in footballing issues and their view of a club and its fans into their choice of clubs.

And unless people have seen the exact details of Spurs and our contract offers, talked to the agents and mind read the players involved i'd say you will have to go on what a player has said was their reasons for signing and not presume to know their mind better than the player in question.

I've never denied ,oney is a factor, even Shearer with his love of NUFC and being a geordie wouldn't have signed if we'd offered him £100 a week but despite what manu fans insist it was hardly as if their club weren't offering him a shitload either.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

I have to say like, right now if I had the choice between Spurs and Newcastle, and had no affiliation to either club, and discounting wages, I would go straight for Spurs without hesitation.  They seem to have a really professional set-up, they have the lure of London, they don't have as checkered a recent history of comedy manager sackings/signings etc. etc. 

I think it's wages and not much more that's giving us an advantage in our transfer dealings tbph.

167509[/snapback]

Last time I checked, it was full of gangs, cunts, ignorant tossers, spurs fans, and it had the awful smell of scum about it.

167514[/snapback]

Don't get me wrong, I like Newcastle but I think to someone who isn't from the area etc. London is (generally) a nicer place to live if you're loaded.

167518[/snapback]

Nah, give me the countryside of Northumberland everytime.

Couldnt find a bit of grass without shite on it, in London.

167509[/snapback]

167514[/snapback]

When you're on Premiership footballer's wages, it would be canny easy to avoid all of the above and live the high life tbh.

Seriously though - Spurs are a club that currently appear to have direction. We're rudderless, could go up or down and it's anyone's guess which way we'll go.

167509[/snapback]

167514[/snapback]

167518[/snapback]

167521[/snapback]

These are young lads with money to burn man. They don't want countryside, they want flash nights out and people to fawn over them. Where better to go than London for that?

167509[/snapback]

167514[/snapback]

167518[/snapback]

167521[/snapback]

These are young lads with money to burn man. They don't want countryside, they want flash nights out and people to fawn over them. Where better to go than London for that?

167526[/snapback]

Very true.

Seriously like, once Spurs realise that they have to break their current wage structure to compete, we're gonna be screwed trying to compete with them for signings. It's not nice to have to admit it, but it's true.

Seriously like, once Spurs realise that they have to break their current wage structure to compete, we're gonna be screwed trying to compete with them for signings.  It's not nice to have to admit it, but it's true.

167533[/snapback]

Lets hope they have a terrible season then :lol:

Seriously like, once Spurs realise that they have to break their current wage structure to compete, we're gonna be screwed trying to compete with them for signings.  It's not nice to have to admit it, but it's true.

167533[/snapback]

I agree.

May I add that this is all YOUR fault.

167533[/snapback]

I agree.

May I add that this is all YOUR fault.

167549[/snapback]

:lol: Prick!

Aye, says we pay higher wages.

167497[/snapback]

Who gives a shit tbh?

Whenever the Spurs fans at work have said "he only signed for you because of the money...", i reply by saying he'll still be playing for us regardless of how he joined.

It is annoying though that when for the first time in many years, Spurs are actually a rival to us, (instead of the fantasy belief of their fans and cocnkey wankers in the media that they are) that manu go and hand them a shitload of money!

Thanks to Souness (and by prox Fat Fred) there are teams now level with us or even slightly ahead that shouldn't be close to us and we have a big job on our hands.

167488[/snapback]

The likes of Parker, Emre & Duff still preferred us to them, despite them having their best squad for decades.

Says a lot to me :lol:

167492[/snapback]

I agree, even though Spurs fans will cry and whinge that its only because we pay more in wages, the fact remains that players will choose NUFC over alot of clubs. Because of the money yes, but also our size, the fans reputation, the fact that nearly every year for ages we are in europe etc. etc.

167498[/snapback]

But mainly because of the money. You're buying their bullshit as well Papa!

167505[/snapback]

And unless people have seen the exact details of Spurs and our contract offers, talked to the agents and mind read the players involved i'd say you will have to go on what a player has said was their reasons for signing and not presume to know their mind better than the player in question.

167520[/snapback]

You're being naiive if you believe all that crap they spout when they sign for a club. They're not exactly going to say 'I'm playing here because they're paying me shitloads', are they?

I think in terms of fans, players, Europe, and sucess (ie fuck all) we are probably equal in most people's eyes.

They have a much more professional set up, direction, and London.

We have a fat idiot who pays a lot of money.

At the moment the money is winning, but as soon as Spurs cotton onto this and raise their game (although in the interests of football it would be nice if they didn't) don't expect many to choose us over them.

Base line is, I know they're signing for us because of the wages. I'm just living off the hope that by the time Spurs realise they'll have to break their wage structure, we'll have assembled a squad to rival if not better them! :lol:

Base line is, I know they're signing for us because of the wages. I'm just living off the hope that by the time Spurs realise they'll have to break their wage structure, we'll have assembled a squad to rival if not better them! :lol:

167565[/snapback]

Not exactly much evidence of that so far is there.

Base line is, I know they're signing for us because of the wages. I'm just living off the hope that by the time Spurs realise they'll have to break their wage structure, we'll have assembled a squad to rival if not better them! ;)

167565[/snapback]

167571[/snapback]

we're working on it! :lol:

Base line is, I know they're signing for us because of the wages. I'm just living off the hope that by the time Spurs realise they'll have to break their wage structure, we'll have assembled a squad to rival if not better them! ;)

167565[/snapback]

167571[/snapback]

And they've got a better squad than us already without having even broken their wage structure. :lol:

You're being naiive if you believe all that crap they spout when they sign for a club. They're not exactly going to say 'I'm playing here because they're paying me shitloads', are they?

I think in terms of fans, players, Europe, and sucess (ie fuck all) we are probably equal in most people's eyes.

They have a much more professional set up, direction, and London.

We have a fat idiot who pays a lot of money.

At the moment the money is winning, but as soon as Spurs cotton onto this and raise their game (although in the interests of football it would be nice if they didn't) don't expect many to choose us over them.

167560[/snapback]

I don't believe everything players say when they sign, or are at a club that woudl be stupid as you get people like "Mr Leeds" Alan Smith who stated categorically he'd never play for manu then couldn't wait to get their shirt on when the offer came. But by ths same token i don't treat every single player as a money obsessed bastard who will only ever play for the highest payers and that some players for whatever reason prefer us to SPurs.

Part of it is perception and even though it hasn't bee true for years we are still held up as this entertaining, all attackign football team with an aamzing, intimiating atmosphere every home game thats worth a goal headstart. Its lazy from the media, but players still believe it all to be true and its attarctive.

And remember there must be the odd player who is intelligent and has paid attention to the fact we are top 6 and in euorpe nearly every years whilst until last season Spurs have done fuck all, And whilst most players would pick London over Newcastle to live, some individulas don't like London or places like it, everyone is different.

This season coming will define who players will/should pick of the two in future as they can follow on from a good season and build something or fall back to mediocrity again (under Jol sadly i think they will continue) and we can either get back to somewhere close to where we were and banish the Souness nightmare or we can struggle and fall behind Spurs.

Seems like it'll be £8 million now, £6 million next year with the rest made up if Man Utd win the league, CL, if he signs another contract at the club and on international appearances. Similar to the Rooney deal.

Also 20% of it going West Ham's way.

Seems like it'll be £8 million now, £6 million next year with the rest made up if Man Utd win the league, CL, if he signs another contract at the club and on international appearances. Similar to the Rooney deal.

168048[/snapback]

Thats not so bad then. They won't come close to winning the CL and the league in unlikely and with West Ham taking 20% Spurs aren't getting quite what i thought.

168048[/snapback]

Thats not so bad then. They won't come close to winning the CL and the league in unlikely and with West Ham taking 20% Spurs aren't getting quite what i thought.

168053[/snapback]

Makes no difference - the club is owmed by a billionaire.

Says a lot for Spurs' ambition (or short-comings of it) to me....

Why sell one of your better players to one of the few teams above you? Mind you saying that I s'pose it's akin to when we sold Andy Cole who I think was ultimately replaced by a better all round striker in Ferdinand.