The Prog Rock Thread

Ketsbaia

I know there are some Prog fans on Newcastle-Online but I was just wondering if there are any here! What bands are you 'rocking' to at the moment.

Fore me it's Sigur Ros, Radiohead, Roger Waters and Pink Floyd

Obviously got most of the Floyd Albums, a couple each of King Crimson and Camel albums (both old prog rock).

Also some newer Prog band called Pendragon and as somebody above said theres the whole prog metal genre as well.

I was quite fond of New Kids on the block and Big Fun, I know they are giants of this musical category.

13412[/snapback]

NKOTB weren't Prog...they were hardcore death metal and you know it!!!

13423[/snapback]

Definitely one of my favourite bands for sure.

I've been trying to *ahem* aquire The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute for a while but all Limewire...I mean Music Zone is 'all out'. Any ideas where I can get it? :D

EDIT: Anybody looking for creepy 80's Art Rock try Roger Waters - Radio KAOS.

Edited by Skol

I've been trying to *ahem* aquire The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute for a while but all Limewire...I mean Music Zone is 'all out'. Any ideas where I can get it? :D

EDIT: Anybody looking for creepy 80's Art Rock try Roger Waters - Radio KAOS.

13436[/snapback]

Had it for a while, got it from eMule no problem. You'll all learn, eventually :D

Where to start:

Radiohead

Sigur Ros

Tortise

Godspeed you! Black Emperor

Explosions in the sky

At the drive-in (great to listen to when travelling away to play football.)

Queens of the stone age but I'm a bit over ginger Josh (sorry toonraider.)

Mogwai

Anima (friends/string section of Sigur Ros.)

Mum (although not prog rock a bit like Sigur Ros but more electro.)

Papa, you mention Crimson - Fripp is such an enigma. The stuff he did with Eno and then solo with David Byrne (talking heads), Daryl Hall and Peter Gabriel is so awesome and then you get the Fripptonic stuff that just drones.

I know it's not prog rock but anything Eno in the 70s is worth a listen.

Plus as War of the Worlds the movie was so average it has me reaching for the audio version - prog rock at its most commercial.

Edited by sammynb

Only really bands like Dream Theater and Symphony-X but that's more Progressive metal than rock.

You rawk. :D

I like Floyd of course.. and apparently Rush count as prog.. love Rush.. :D

Hawkwind

13490[/snapback]

They don't count as prog rock, their just shite!

Hey do you know any hawkwind or merrilyn?

13492[/snapback]

They're class live mate, still put on a proper show and they're better than most of the shite mentioned in this thread (apart from Led Zep - who aren't prog rock either).

:D

Hawkwind

13490[/snapback]

They don't count as prog rock, their just shite!

Hey do you know any hawkwind or merrilyn?

13492[/snapback]

They're class live mate, still put on a proper show and they're better than most of the shite mentioned in this thread (apart from Led Zep - who aren't prog rock either).

:D

13495[/snapback]

You're right, things like stoner rock have fallen into the prog rock category because the music industry basically divides music into songs that are 4 minutes and under = pop, 5 minutes and over = prog rock (generalisation but you know what I mean.)

Back to Hawkwind, I don't doubt they were good live. But just like Zeppelin, who undoubtly were great musicians, not something that appeals.

Q have just brought a Prog Rock special edition out. They count down the top 40 Prog albums. Some intresting yet not suprising inclusions. The ones that tickle my fancy are...

31. Roxy Music - Roxy Music

27. Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun

25. Queen - A Night at the Opera

21. Tool - Lateralus

18. The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

12. Yes - The Yes Album

11. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

10. Radiohead - OK Computer

1. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Imagine how fucked Q magazine would be if they couldn't have features counting down top 40 lists.

13689[/snapback]

I own 3 Q magazine specials (Pink Floyd, Prog Rock and Psychedelic) and all have a count down of some sort in them.

Where to start:

Radiohead

Sigur Ros

Tortise

Godspeed you! Black Emperor

Explosions in the sky

At the drive-in (great to listen to when travelling away to play football.)

Queens of the stone age but I'm a bit over ginger Josh (sorry toonraider.)

Mogwai

Anima (friends/string section of Sigur Ros.)

Mum (although not prog rock a bit like Sigur Ros but more electro.)

Papa, you mention Crimson - Fripp is such an enigma. The stuff he did with Eno and then solo with David Byrne (talking heads), Daryl Hall and Peter Gabriel is so awesome and then you get the Fripptonic stuff that just drones.

I know it's not prog rock but anything Eno in the 70s is worth a listen.

Plus as War of the Worlds the movie was so average it has me reaching for the audio version - prog rock at its most commercial.

13450[/snapback]

Im shocked to the core by those words sammy! :D

And im also shocked i forgot to mention QOTSA last night :D You can catch them from their gig at the Oxygen festival tonight on MTV2 at 6pm :D

I've read some exerts from the Q special on Powderblue.fsnet.co.uk and Guy Garvey features in it talking about Genesis. The similarity between his voice and Peter Gabriels is eerie and it kind of explains it since he was brought up on Genesis.

Still on a high after the Sigur Rós gig here last month. Which is a bit tragic really. :D

Can't wait for the new album.

Sammy's marked a lot of my territory already, but I'll add Do Make Say Think and the various Godspeed side-projects (Silver Mt. Zion et al) to the pile.

I know Tool are on the outer edges of prog, although apparently a lot of prog rock purists hate them. When Tool had King Crimson open for them a few years ago a lot of the older fans left before Tool came on because all they wanted to see were King Crimson. Ah well, their loss.

Needless to say Tool are really the only band that can be lumped in here that I enjoy. Dream Theater have worn very thin on me and I can't listen to anything they've done without cringing. It's really very bad.

If we can get into this whole new school prog, I am huge fans of The Mars Volta and I own a copy of Frances the Mute. GO BUY THE ALBUM YOU THIEVING GYPO! I can say that because I'm earning £££ and actually can afford to buy CDs these days.

I've heard Coheed and Cambria get lumped into the whole prog category, however to me they're not quite emo but not quite prog. All good though.