No Campbell/Bridge/Klose/Defoe/Farfan

Gemmill

Newcastle United have rejected a plea from Sol Campbell, who has made it clear he would love the chance to come to St James' Park.

And on a weekend when United were linked with the likes of PSV midfielder Jefferson Farfan, Jonathan Woodgate, Wayne Bridge, Miroslav Klose, Jermain Defoe and Juventus's Croatian defender Robert Kovac, I can reveal that none of these players will be finding a peg in the St James' Park dressing room.

United fans are quite naturally more interested in just who is going to join Damien Duff in a black-and-white shirt, but I get the impression that after feeling confident that things were going to happen at the back end of last week it has all gone a bit quiet.

Glenn Roeder woke up yesterday morning to headings screaming "Sign Me " from Campbell and reports that the United boss had gone as far as talking to the England defender, who is leaving Arsenal by mutual consent.

But this is not the case, and Roeder, who worked with Campbell when he was an England coach, has no plans to talk to him.

Says Roeder: "Sol is a fantastic talent and I am mystified why Arsenal have agreed that he should go."

Reports saying that United were ready to make an £8m bid for Farfan, after the Peruvian scored for PSV at St James' Park on Saturday, are wide of the mark.

Indeed, Roeder says: "Farfan was one of several excellent players in the PSV side but we are looking at different postilions from the one he plays in and there is no interest in him."

The name of Klose will not go away, but again Roeder is not interested. What is interesting is that after being the leading scorer in the World Cup, none of the big boys have moved in for the Werder Bremen striker.

Meanwhile, talk that United were involved in a tug of war with Bolton for Jonathan Woodgate is news to Roeder, and as far as he is concerned Sam Allardyce has a free run for the Real Madrid defender.

Roeder knows what a great player Woodgate is, but the last thing United want, with Michael Owen in the treatment room for the next eight months, is a player who is injury prone.

While Roeder is desperate to sign more players he knows that some of those he already has are being coveted by pother clubs.

Charlton's new manager Iain Dowie wants Amady Faye, while Monaco are playing a game of cat and mouse with United regarding Jean Alain Boumsong, who is back with United after being on World Cup duty with France

Roeder says: "We are aware of Monaco's interest in Jean Alain and that they want to take him on loan, but it is not as cut and dried as that."

This can only be a reference to the fact that Monaco want United to pay half Boumsong's wages should he return to France, something which, not surprisingly, has been rejected out of hand.

So who exactly are we trying to sign? :lol:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Sol is fantastic and Arsenal shouldn't let him go then surely we should be interested!

And if Bridge should end up going for a cheap or even reasonable fee and we don't go for him when we are desperate for a quality LB i'd be seriously pissed off. If he isn't available or will really cost alot then fair enough, but it'll be inetersting to see what happens.

I'm assuming that means he's not a striker in the mould that we're looking for. Which seems increasingly likely may be a striker in the Marlon Harewood mould. :lol:

Unless he saw Farfan more as a hard-working wide player. [/souness]

I'm assuming that means he's not a striker in the mould that we're looking for.  Which seems increasingly likely may be a striker in the Marlon Harewood mould. ;)

167689[/snapback]

So basically we're looking for a tall-holdtheballup-type striker to play alongside Owen when he's fit, but it's not Ashton. He also needs to have Premiership experience.

Certainly Harewood then isn't it. :P:puke::lol:

I'm assuming that means he's not a striker in the mould that we're looking for.  Which seems increasingly likely may be a striker in the Marlon Harewood mould. :lol:

167689[/snapback]

Well we seemed to have ruled out just about every other striker at one time or another this summer so I am getting prepared to see a press conference where Roder and the fat man introduce Harewood and expect us to be over the moon and signing him.

I'm assuming that means he's not a striker in the mould that we're looking for.  Which seems increasingly likely may be a striker in the Marlon Harewood mould. :lol:

167689[/snapback]

Well we seemed to have ruled out just about every other striker at one time or another this summer so I am getting prepared to see a press conference where Roder and the fat man introduce Harewood and expect us to be over the moon and signing him.

167695[/snapback]

For £5m + Milner. Woopeefuckingdoo

I'm looking forward to the season more and more each day.

Seriously though we really do seem to be showing ourselves up as a piss poorly run club. We have had years notice that we were going to need to replace Shearer and we are now in a position like this! Bunch of fuckwits.

The non-ruling out of Harewood, despite his name being banded about the place does suggest that Oliver thinks there's some truth in it (given that he's scotched every other rumour going in this article). If not he would have taken great pleasure in letting us all know that he doesn't think it'll happen.

Ive got a feeling Roeder has got something up his sleeve.

167692[/snapback]

It's called a tumour, he in relapse - fact.

Fucking hell Roeder, players who are perfect for us and you're not even interested ffs! I'm on about Klose, Campbell and Bridge. All good enough to waltz into our team and he seems non-plussed that these guys are available and wont cost the earth.

167689[/snapback]

Impossible, God definitely broke that mould.

167689[/snapback]

Impossible, God definitely broke that mould.

167716[/snapback]

Before he used it, by the look of the lad.

Before he used it, by the look of the lad.

167717[/snapback]

It was sold on as seconds to a Hollywood effects studio.

Oliver has no credibility, so all this is just speculation as far as i'm concerned. Which is why it's pointless slagging off Roeder for not going in for player X.

I'm still waiting for Emerton and O'Neill to sign, tbh.

Even though a lot of us read the ronny gill, nobody believes anything oliver has to say, so why bother with this article where he reveals who we aren't going to move for?

It's as likely that he'll reveal a press conference to introduce Defoe,Campbell and Bridge tomorrow meaning everything he's written in the previous 24 hours was rubbish and forgotten.