Learning to Drive

Hatful Of Hollow

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Start mine today, about bloody time anarl.

I went to the industrial estate opposite Asda in Benton for a practice, which helped alot, think I would have been alot more nervous otherwise.

How did the drivers on here do when they first started learning?

168175[/snapback]

I was fucking immense but don't feel bad if you aren't as good as me! :lol:

Actually, my dad used to take to the MFI car park for some practice before I took lessons (until the fuckers started putting up barriers!)

I failed first time. ;) Passed second time though, although at the time I still didn't really feel I knew how to drive properly. I had a canny few lessons before passing as well iirc. All the boy racers to-be at school used to brag about how they passed after 5 lessons etc. :lol:

Good luck with it though.

Passed 1st time, although I swear I hit the kerb on my reverse round the corner. Saying that, he made me do a 3 point turn on a road that was narrow and hilly so it was Karma I reckon. I remember the first time I actually made the car move I nearly shit myself!

Before last night I had only driven a car about 10 yards, a few years ago in my mate's car, I wasn't confident at all.

I did fine last night though. apart from I need to be a tad less eager on the throttle when setting off, was a bit of wheelspin a couple of times.

My lessons are costing me £50 for the first 5, then £15 p/lesson after that.

Took loads of lessons then somehow passed first time, despite running over a brick during my test and having to turn around at the next roundabout and get out of the car to retrieve the hubcap that had promptly popped off...

Took loads of lessons then somehow passed first time, despite running over a brick during my test and having to turn around at the next roundabout and get out of the car to retrieve the hubcap that had promptly popped off...

168223[/snapback]

And as he bent over along came rover and gave him a bone of his own :lol:

I was bloody terrible, although I blame some of it on my instructor, me and him just didn't click at all, I remember the day before my first test he told me that I should phone the test centre in the morning and tell them I'd been sick.

Talk about motivational !

Anyway, he was right, I drove like a woman and was rightfuly failed.

168223[/snapback]

And as he bent over along came rover and gave him a bone of his own :lol:

168229[/snapback]

Wouldn't have minded, at least it'd have wasted a few minutes ;)

Started my learning on the No.1 Industrial Estate in Consett choked by the fumes of Phileas Fogg crisps!

Passed after 4 double lessons, but then I 'drove' with my old man for nearly 2 years before I got my act together and got the test booked.

1st test was cancelled due to fog (can't work out why they do that because you have to drive in it at some point and I had done many times before), eventually got my test 2 months later on at Team Valley and passed with flying colours even though:

1. I never saw the ambulance flying down Durham Road which the examiner asked me to pull over for

2. I completely fucked up my reverse round a corner and ended up 3 miles of the kerb!

All the best with it! :lol:

I failed first time (not making progress, in other words, not driving fast enough), passed second time in Longbenton.

Had driving lessons from march 2005 to july 2005, then took my tests.

Don't let the thieving bastards take all your money, if you feel confident driving and your manouveres are spot on, book the test online yourself, otherwise your instructor will have going on for months, not learning shit all.

Part of the problem with the learning-to-drive experience is that examiners can be highly erratic. I don't move my head when checking the rear view mirror, largely because I don't need to, but a mechanic friend told me beforehand that the frame of my glasses would probably obscure the examiner's line of vision to my eyes, so it'd be worth making exaggerated movements just to make sure that he knew I was checking my mirrors properly. I had no intention of making a twat of myself like that, but within the first 10 minutes of my test I could see he'd already given me a few minor marks for mirror use when I'd been doing everything right, so I started jerking my head back like Joey fucking Deacon every time and voilà - no more minor marks. :lol:

took me three attempts - been driving about 2 and a half years now.

once youve got confidence in yourself (ie not shitting yourself) and confidence in the car your driving (how it responds to what your doing) your sorted.

you can then concentrate on your decision making (ie how and when to manoeuvre the car) and anticipating others (ie their manoeuvres).

Dont get too disheartened if it seems to take ages to pick up the simple things.

don't hang on to the wheel like its a lifebelt - the car will steer straight for quite a while without any hands on the wheel and it only needs SMALL changes to get it to change direction

I think I'm going to attempt to learn soon, I really should've got it out of the way when I was 17 but all my friends learned and my family can drive so I've always got away with not having to. Regret it now though as I'm totally unmotivated.

My main problems are that a) from the 1 lesson I have had and a brief drive in my cousin's car I KNOW I will be shit (yes I realise everyone is when they start but I'll be particularly terrible) and :lol: I hate learning things that I can't practice independently.

Part of the problem with the learning-to-drive experience is that examiners can be highly erratic. I don't move my head when checking the rear view mirror, largely because I don't need to, but a mechanic friend told me beforehand that the frame of my glasses would probably obscure the examiner's line of vision to my eyes, so it'd be worth making exaggerated movements just to make sure that he knew I was checking my mirrors properly. I had no intention of making a twat of myself like that, but within the first 10 minutes of my test I could see he'd already given me a few minor marks for mirror use when I'd been doing everything right, so I started jerking my head back like Joey fucking Deacon every time and voilà - no more minor marks.  :lol:

168282[/snapback]

True. My instructor told me to not have my mirrors perfectly lined up so the examiner could see the head movement.

don't hang on to the wheel like its a lifebelt - the car will steer straight for quite a while without any hands on the wheel and it only needs SMALL changes to get  it to change direction

168293[/snapback]

My car doesn't :lol:

I passed 2nd time of asking after about 40 lessons. My first test was a disaster and I failed on pretty much everything I could be second time round I drove with aplomb. I couldn't reverse round a corner to save my life before the day of the test but it just clicked on the morning. There's a corner that examiners from miles around drag you to in the middle of Gateshead which is notorious for fails. I nailed that then made a little bit of a hash of parking in a bay (I was right on the line) but he passed me and told me he'd overlook the dodgy parking for the superb job I did round the corner. I danced around Team Valley afterwards I was that extatic.

Part of the problem with the learning-to-drive experience is that examiners can be highly erratic. I don't move my head when checking the rear view mirror, largely because I don't need to, but a mechanic friend told me beforehand that the frame of my glasses would probably obscure the examiner's line of vision to my eyes, so it'd be worth making exaggerated movements just to make sure that he knew I was checking my mirrors properly. I had no intention of making a twat of myself like that, but within the first 10 minutes of my test I could see he'd already given me a few minor marks for mirror use when I'd been doing everything right, so I started jerking my head back like Joey fucking Deacon every time and voilà - no more minor marks.  :lol:

168282[/snapback]

True. My instructor told me to not have my mirrors perfectly lined up so the examiner could see the head movement.

168333[/snapback]

Completely unnecessary, if the tester is doing his job properly. I was told to set up properly and don't make big movements to look in the mirrors. My minors came from lack of progress at a junction (not getting out in front of a milk float which was at the other side of the junction, i.e. a road width away from me).

FUCK OFF LEARNERS

168276[/snapback]

Didn't do too well then Sima? :lol:

168286[/snapback]

Err...passed first time.

Back in yer box tbh

168343[/snapback]

Not at all - there's just no need for that kind of comment tbh