High hopes

Holden McGroin

When we had a big batch of young players coming through. Who did you initially think was going to be great.

- Neilson

- Watson

- Elliott

- Appelby (M)

- Howey

- Clark

- Roche

- Thompson

I alwasys rated Allan Neilson. Had a great footballing brain. Just lacked a bit of physical presence to be a top centre back

Also thought Robbie E would play for England. Never recovered from a few bad injuries.

When we had a big batch of young players coming through. Who did you initially think was going to be great.

- Neilson

- Watson

- Elliott

- Appelby (M)

- Howey

- Clark

- Roche

- Thompson

I alwasys rated Allan Neilson. Had a great footballing brain. Just lacked a bit of physical presence to be a top centre back

Also thought Robbie E would play for England. Never recovered from a few bad injuries.

168338[/snapback]

People forget how good Elliott was in his first spell at the club. He did have shocking luck with injuries though (even getting a badly broken leg on his Bolton debut). I think he was at least as good as Beresford but I think KK preferred the latter as he was better going forward. Probably had his best spell playing in a midfield 3 under Daglish when we came second for the second season running. Daglish repaid him for this by getting rid and buying Pistone!

At a £1.5m loss as well IIRC !

Edit: or was it a £3m loss?

168355[/snapback]

Aye, Pistone was £4.5m-ish and Elliott was £3m-ish I think.

Stevie Watson was outstanding when he first broke into the and given that he did this younger than any of the rest of them he was the one for me that looked like he would be the real star.

Howey looked shite when he first came through (as a striker) and it wasn't until he was moved to centreback at the start of the promotion season that he finally looked like a footballer. When he did play there though he started off absolutely superb and stayed that way until he made the England squad. It all went tits up after that!

Howey looked shite when he first came through (as a striker) and it wasn't until he was moved to centreback at the start of the promotion season that he finally looked like a footballer.  When he did play there though he started off absolutely superb and stayed that way until he made the England squad.  It all went tits up after that!

168360[/snapback]

Another one that had a few bad injuries. Lost his pace completely. Wonder where he is now?

Howey looked shite when he first came through (as a striker) and it wasn't until he was moved to centreback at the start of the promotion season that he finally looked like a footballer.  When he did play there though he started off absolutely superb and stayed that way until he made the England squad.  It all went tits up after that!

168360[/snapback]

Another one that had a few bad injuries. Lost his pace completely. Wonder where he is now?

168373[/snapback]

I'm sure he'd gone to shite before that tbh. After he was with England he just seemed to think he was some kind of sweeper.