Heading for desperation?

Isegrim

I actually don't understand Newcastle's tranfer policy at all. Of course the transfer period only closes at the last day of August, but I can't understand why every season we leave it so late. Shouldn't the transfer deal normally at the best should be done before pre-season training starts and not when the season already has begun? Why did we have to wait until the end of the world cup when already knew for more than a year that we would at least one striker to replace Alan Shearer at the end of the season.

We are now again in the position to look really desperate. And I am increasingly worried about the lack of substanciated transfer rumours. Everything goes quiet and .com don't come up with anything at all. The only thing we get is the the mince-faced clown telling us which players we don't sign.

I see us aiming for overpriced panic buys again as club can held us for ransom.

:lol:

One possible reason Id been told is that nufc's financial year ends 31/7. So, if we had a poor year 05/06 then any spending would be better if taken over into 06/07, and from 1st aug. this said, I'm not sure how they enter the purchases into the books. If its all in one go or if they can stagger the entry over mroe than one period.

Could be nowt of the sort as well like ..

One possible reason Id been told is that nufc's financial year ends 31/7.  So, if we had a poor year 05/06 then any spending would be better if taken over into 06/07, and from 1st aug.  this said, I'm not sure how they enter the purchases into the books.  If its all in one go or if they can stagger the entry over mroe than one period.

168669[/snapback]

Well, that would make business sense (and maybe not touch some people's dividends) but would be footballing suicide. Though, I even don't know if it would be a good calculation businesswise. We of course would have a bad looking balance sheet. But on the other hand next year's one would look better, and not investing in the squad at the right time would also probably effect next season's league position. And another poor season would also be terrible for the share price and the dividents.

One possible reason Id been told is that nufc's financial year ends 31/7.  So, if we had a poor year 05/06 then any spending would be better if taken over into 06/07, and from 1st aug.  this said, I'm not sure how they enter the purchases into the books.  If its all in one go or if they can stagger the entry over mroe than one period.

168669[/snapback]

That actually would seem to make sense, new spending won't effect profit and therefore dividend from this last year.

Where's the Strawberry Blonde accountant when you need him :lol:

Too early to panic, I'd rather we didn't have the ideal start to the season and got the right players in. As important as pre-season is, it's not as important as not blowing more money on the wrong players.

Am I getting slightly nervous that the excellent bit of business that was Duff was a once off? Yes..

That actually would seem to make sense, new spending won't effect profit and therefore dividend from this last year.

Where's the Strawberry Blonde accountant when you need him  :lol:

168675[/snapback]

It's very short-termist, either we take a big hit to the 06-07 accounts by essentially having 2 summer's spending, or we now buy players a week before the season starts from now on. Still it is all about balancing...as long as things get considerably better this year, it would make a degree of sense.

Too early to panic, I'd rather we didn't have the ideal start to the season and got the right players in.  As important as pre-season is, it's not as important as not blowing more money on the wrong players.

Am I getting slightly nervous that the excellent bit of business that was Duff was a once off?  Yes..

168680[/snapback]

I disagree to a certain extent. In my opinion the planning should have started months ago and the assessment who are the right players. Roeder was more or less appointed at some point in April and that is when the planning should have started. Everybody going on holidays was the most strange thing I could think of. When we are heading into the season with only Amoebi and Un-Luque we are in danger of throwing away points in some games that look easy on the paper which could haunt us all season as we really have the chance of a good start into the season this time (fixture list wise).

And what is if plans A, B and C fail again and we are getting rejected by clubs and players. Or clubs just making us to pay stupid money because they know we are desperate for strikers.

Not quite. Last year the signings came late, so in the 05/06 accounts. Maybe they wanted to put this years off so they wouldnt have two years spending in one years accounts.

Or, they could be genuinely being "careful" in who they bring in.

Or, they could be getting knocked back.

etc

NUFC's financial year ended 31/6 this time round, results will be stated as an 11-month period. Future financial reports will refect this change.

Something to do with IFRS. I left my accounting job before we got to that bit at college so I'll leave it in the trusty hands of our representative from local firm Gingehom & Manbags LLP.

NUFC's financial year ended 31/6 this time round, results will be stated as an 11-month period. Future financial reports will refect this change.

Something to do with IFRS. I left my accounting job before we got to that bit at college so I'll leave it in the trusty hands of our representative from local firm Gingehom & Manbags LLP.

168693[/snapback]

:lol:;)

It's just that I have a look at some Jorman clubs and only can think that they are acting much more wisely. Take Bayern for example. They always try to make sure that the core of next season's squad is put together before they head of into the summer break. This time it meant they were finalising deals with Podolski and van Buyten ahead of the World Cup. HSV immidiately made sure they signed Kompany as a replacement for van Buyten. Though, they were also unsuccesful in their search for a striker, but were really in the market since the end of May. Bremen signed Diego when they became aware that Micoud was looking to leave the club.

This approach just makes much more sense to me.

We're probably working our arses off trying to get bodies in man, it's hardly Roeder delibratly taking his time now, is it?

168697[/snapback]

That's the point. Why leave it till now? The Duff transfer took all of three days; Roeder has been in his job for 4 months now.

We've been linked with every man and his dog, and then un-linked with them all again. Players who were likely to be of interest and would have come are seemingly ruled out every day.

Every day Roeder/Fred/Anal come out and mention we're in talks to sign people, then a week goes by and nothing has happend.

Season starts soon - I for one would like to see the new players at least train with us, and maybe play a couple of friendlies. Not gonna happen though.

(and no, It's not Roeder's fault IMO)

We're probably working our arses off trying to get bodies in man, it's hardly Roeder delibratly taking his time now, is it?

168697[/snapback]

Well, first he said he wouldn't take off any time at all because too many things would have to be arranged before pre-season, then a couple of weeks later he says, that he is heading of for Turkey and transfer deals will be looked at when he is back and the World Cup is over.

I said on N-O earlier, if we do what we did last season and basically forfeit the first five games for the sake of 'patience' or some bollocks, arses want kicking

168701[/snapback]

We'll splash out £15m on a "name" which will get us nowhere, like every year.

From a profit and therefore dividend point of view, signing someone in July or August makes fuck all difference really, depending on their depreciation policy. It would affect balance sheet more than anything else. The only thing I can think is that if we're having to take on more debt to finance signings, we might be trying to keep our debt ratios low for this year's statements so as not to affect the share price - investors look at these kind of ratios and if the analysts start pointing the finger at our debt, the price would fall. If there's any truth in these stories of someone coming in to buy the Halls' shares, the last thing they'll be wanting is a dramatic fall in the share price.

That's the only reason I can think for the delay. And it's pretty astute thinking on my part, even if I do say so myself. :lol:

You just know as well, we'll see a Kluivert/Butt/Luque/Owen situation somewhere along the line - hamstring goes, club says "it's a shame but what can you do? He hasn't had a full pre-season, wait and see what he does next season".

Edited by Wullie

From a profit and therefore dividend point of view, signing someone in July or August makes fuck all difference really, depending on their depreciation policy.  It would affect balance sheet more than anything else.  The only thing I can think is that if we're having to take on more debt to finance signings, we might be trying to keep our debt ratios low for this year's statements so as not to affect the share price - investors look at these kind of ratios and if the analysts start pointing the finger at our debt, the price would fall.  If there's any truth in these stories of someone coming in to buy the Halls' shares, the last thing they'll be wanting is a dramatic fall in the share price.

That's the only reason I can think for the delay.  And it's pretty astute thinking on my part, even if I do say so myself. :lol:

168703[/snapback]

Seriously though, this is the answer. Fucking EUREKA! I've cracked it tbh.

Seriously though, this is the answer.  Fucking EUREKA!  I've cracked it tbh.

168706[/snapback]

168693[/snapback]

168697[/snapback]

That's the point. Why leave it till now? The Duff transfer took all of three days; Roeder has been in his job for 4 months now.

We've been linked with every man and his dog, and then un-linked with them all again. Players who were likely to be of interest and would have come are seemingly ruled out every day.

Every day Roeder/Fred/Anal come out and mention we're in talks to sign people, then a week goes by and nothing has happend.

Season starts soon - I for one would like to see the new players at least train with us, and maybe play a couple of friendlies. Not gonna happen though.

(and no, It's not Roeder's fault IMO)

168699[/snapback]

Did Duff not say he had a week to think about it at some point? :lol:

Seriously though, this is the answer.  Fucking EUREKA!  I've cracked it tbh.

168706[/snapback]

168693[/snapback]

168715[/snapback]

There IS no 31/6. Maybe that's the answer. :lol: