Anyone know much about Greece?

Zathras

Coworker and her hubbie and planning a trip to Greece next summer and have asked for advice as to where to go/what to see. I've never been but thought some of you lot might have. Any suggestions?

It would depend on whether they wanted to just stay on the mainland or do some island-hopping. If they're into history and sightseeing then the mainland would probably be better with ancient sites such as Delphi, the Acroplis in Athens and numerous other historical attractions. For relaxation and spectacular scenery then the islands might be more appropriate, with Kefalonia and Santorini being reputedly breathtaking. Santorini is on my list of to-do places, I just haven't done it yet..

Santorini is on my list of to-do places, I just haven't done it yet..

168820[/snapback]

Well if you had done it, it wouldn't be on the to do list now would it. :lol:

Santorini is fabulous ...done that...been to Kefalonia, kardemena, Poros( a tiny island run bry a monastry but has bars an sights nonetheless) Athens ( a smog filled shithole) Askeli, would highly recommend all, the greeks are really friendly people :lol:

Ask RobW, he's no doubt worked for the British embassy in Athens between being in the SAS and running a cake shop in Harrogate.

Ask RobW, he's no doubt worked for the British embassy in Athens between being in the SAS and running a cake shop in Harrogate.

168831[/snapback]

Not to mention helping build The Acropolis...

Not the mainland like, but Rhodes has been one of my favourite holidays. No, not the chavtastic part, but the old town and Lindos.

Coworker

:);) USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

Been to Greece once to Halkidiki with an ex girlfriend, it was where the infamous immac fanny (minge to you my American buddy) waxing took place.

Greece is a shitole in my experience, I was obviously in the wrong place. Lots of hairy women too. ;)

Edited by Smooth Operator

I've always had excellent holidays in Greece. Been to Kefalonia (beautiful place), Aegina and Zante and the Mrs has also been to Corfut and Crete. Went to Athens on a day trip, and it is indeed a shithole. The Acropolis is madness, you can't move for Americans with camcorders, really was the greatest example of how tourism can spoil a place. Couldn't get near owt for people filming and taking photos (despite the fact you were banned from doing this in the museum, there were still hundreds of ignorant fuckers doing it).

Been to a few places there - Corfu is beautiful but some of the resorts are charva-tastic - would recommend Paleokastritsa, Santorini is stunning - not just because of the scenery but the white churches with the blue domed roofs are everywhere and it often features on Greek Calendars, I went to Mykonos for the day and that was nice too (Gemmill would love it ;) ). Also been to Rhodes which, like Corfu, has some crappy resorts but has fantastic history (as JawD mentioned) such as castles dating back to the Crusades, the Old Town, i.e. Rhodes Town, which is also Medieval and looks amazing (used as location for several films I think) and Lindos with its acropolis. The Acropolis at Athens is also well worth seeing but it's absolutely packed and Athens itself is a bit of a dump I thought.

I love going and I've always found the Greeks to be dead friendly people. Your friends may find the accommodation a bit more basic than what they are used to in the US though and not all places have air conditioning which can be a bit uncomfortable at night.

I had a really crap holiday in Corfu many years ago too...

168904[/snapback]

Ditto. I went to Sidari in the last week of the season and it was freezing. There were rabid dogs everywhere too. Also, I'm sorry, I refuse to ever again go anywhere where you have to put used toilet paper in a bin rather than flush it.

168904[/snapback]

Ditto. I went to Sidari in the last week of the season and it was freezing. There were rabid dogs everywhere too. Also, I'm sorry, I refuse to ever again go anywhere where you have to put used toilet paper in a bin rather than flush it.

169040[/snapback]

Urgh, what is WRONG with those people? That's minging!

Went to Sidari years ago, nice beach but way too 'British'. Greek sewerage leaves a bit to be desired but you soon get used to it.

168904[/snapback]

169040[/snapback]

We ended up in cockroach-ridden apartments and the bloke in the apartment upstairs left his bath taps running which ended up flooding ours. There was an ants nest in the wall of the bathroom and all the 'crockery' was nastily stained plastic. Ugh ;)

168904[/snapback]

169040[/snapback]

We were told that you shouldn't really complain about the sewerage system in Corfu as it was designed and installed by a British company. ;)