Newcastle identity

thenorthumbrian

I recently had nights out in both Jesmond and the Newcastle quayside and it was noticeable that there seemed to be virtually no Geordie accents to be heard in any of the bars we went to.

In fact hearing people talk it felt like we could have been in the Home Counties and not Tyneside.

I can’t help but think that the influx of southerners has resulted in Newcastle losing its Geordie identity.

The quayside has been colonised by wealthy people from down south, as they are practically the only people who can afford the property prices.

Many local people have been marginalised in their own city.

It seems to me that many of the southern incomers have an almost contemptuous attitude to local people.

I have no complaints about people coming to live in Newcastle from other parts of Britain and the rest of the world but its seems a great shame that while Newcastle was once a city known for having a strong identity it could now almost be seen as Essex on Tyne.

It's happening everywhere. How do you think the French feel about the English, Irish, Scottish, Dutch, Germans etc. driving up the prices in France so much they can't even afford to buy property in their own country. Fucking peasants! :lol:

Better Southern poshos than scummy charvers tbh. This would never have happened if we'd brought back the Lindisfarne Gospels. :lol:

By the way, in Jesmond even the locals put on posh accents, so they mightn't all have been southerners. Either that or they're probably students who'll fuck off as soon as they finish at uni.

Guest Toplass-101
I recently had nights out in both Jesmond and the Newcastle quayside and it was noticeable that there seemed to be virtually no Geordie accents to be heard in any of the bars we went to.

In fact hearing people talk it felt like we could have been in the Home Counties and not Tyneside.

I can’t help but think that the influx of southerners has resulted in Newcastle losing its Geordie identity.

The quayside has been colonised by wealthy people from down south, as they are practically the only people who can afford the property prices.

Many local people have been marginalised in their own city.

It seems to me that many of the southern incomers have an almost contemptuous attitude to local people.

I have no complaints about people coming to live in Newcastle from other parts of Britain and the rest of the world but its seems a great shame that while Newcastle was once a city known for having a strong identity it could now almost be seen as Essex on Tyne.

168730[/snapback]

aah that will have been me then, I was in Jesmond and on Quay Sat, I try to play down my poshness but somtimes it just shines through :lol:

To be honest there are a lot of posh people in newcastle if you look around.

Jesmond is full of students and in my option the influx of chavs in town and on the metro's is simply to do with underclass and lower working class trying to find themselves an identity against the posh cunts using petty crime and an overdone and in fact allmost new accent. These people could do well for themselves otherwise.

I mean chavs dont speak geordie.

And some people even working class who have earned themselves good livings adapt themselves cause of class issues.

They dont want to be the 'gritty, hard earned local lad' cause theyre surrounded by posh cunts

I suppose there are different levels of the accent as well. I know when Im at work I have to try and tone down when Im speaking, not the accent, just the use of local vocab. Then usually if Im with mates or on the drink, my speech speeds up etc - though maybe thats just the drink ;)

I dont think the area is loosing anything though, just some area's have a greater concentration of students etc so it may appear that way.

I suggest you go for a pint on Shields Rd, Byker, next time if you want to hear true geordie twang, I hear the Raby Hotel is particularly nice and friendly

168825[/snapback]

A classy establishment if ever there was one, mind the Stags Head in the Byker Wall isn't much better tbh. Full of arsehole Geordie wankers imo. Saying that you can get anything you want in that place if you know the right people! ;)

To be fair, most 'Geordies' avoid Jesmond and the Quayside. I was down the Quayside a few weeks ago and it was just full of Stag and Hen parties. Like the lads say, get down your lercal and you'll hear the accent loud and clear.

I suggest you go for a pint on Shields Rd, Byker, next time if you want to hear true geordie twang, I hear the Raby Hotel is particularly nice and friendly

168825[/snapback]

A classy establishment if ever there was one, mind the Stags Head in the Byker Wall isn't much better tbh. Full of arsehole Geordie wankers imo. Saying that you can get anything you want in that place if you know the right people! ;)

168901[/snapback]

The stags has been known to get the odd silver spooner in as well, ocassionally!

While since I drank down the Quay like. Its the new big market. While the big market *shudder* is more where the dregs of society hang out. In fact, no, its where what the dregs of society call the dregs of society hang out. Oh that and 14 year olds etc.

I think the decent place (depending on what kind of night you are after), is now around the central. Revolution, Acora (old Empress), 55', etc.

Mind, owld fogy that Im getting, I also like a drink in the Telegraph or up the top end. Aye... used to be the Farmers or the Doll (RIP). Mind, everything was black and white then like...

I suppose there are different levels of the accent as well.  I know when Im at work I have to try and tone down when Im speaking, not the accent, just the use of local vocab.  Then usually if Im with mates or on the drink, my speech speeds up etc - though maybe thats just the drink ;) 

I dont think the area is loosing anything though, just some area's have a greater concentration of students etc so it may appear that way.

168884[/snapback]

Agree - you don't have to say "Why aye man" every 2 minutes to be a geordie. My accent's pretty soft and I like it that way - but it becomes more pronounced with drink or so I'm told.

Personally I like hearing a scattering of accents when I'm out - not just Southern but Yorkshire, NW, Scottish, and other European accents too. People move around a lot nowadays and this also means you are more likely to hear a geordie accent in other cities. Not a bad thing imo.

One thing that does piss me off the guttural slurring of charver language - that is absolutely horrible.

obsessed tbh

168779[/snapback]

Beat me to it, the geezer has a massive chip on his shoulder about Southerners f or some strange reason.

obsessed tbh

168779[/snapback]

Beat me to it, the geezer has a massive chip on his shoulder about Southerners f or some strange reason.

168981[/snapback]

The bloke with 3 posts? Was he someone else before?

obsessed tbh

168779[/snapback]

168981[/snapback]

The bloke with 3 posts? Was he someone else before?

169108[/snapback]

Posts on N-O too.

obsessed tbh

168779[/snapback]

168981[/snapback]

Lives next door to AF and has to listen to his guitar all day tbh.

joke! ;)