Wednesday's gossip column

khay

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Manchester United will bid to seal a £4m deal for Villarreal midfielder Marcos Senna after unveiling their new £18.6m signing from Tottenham Michael Carrick. (Daily Telegraph)

Blackburn midfielder Brett Emerton looks set to join Middlesbrough. (The Guardian)

Sunderland manager Niall Quinn has been told he must be patient if he is to lure Aston Villa striker Kevin Phillips back to the Black Cats fold. (Daily Express)

Crystal Palace boss Peter Taylor expects to make several signings before the transfer window closes on 31 August. (Daily Telegraph)

Dundee defender Lee Wilkie is poised for a switch to Dundee United on a month's trial - once he agrees a pay-off settlement from his current club. (Daily Record)

Newcastle are ready to splash out £15m on three new signings - Thomas Gravesen and Jonathan Woodgate from Real Madrid as well as a new striker. (Daily Express)

Blackburn want to hijack Wigan's bid to sign defender Andy Webster from Hearts. (The Sun)

Birmingham will make a final £1.2m offer for Fulham striker Brian McBride. (Daily Mirror)

West Ham will not receive a penny from Michael Carrick's £18.6m move from Tottenham to Manchester United because Spurs refused to include a sell-on clause when they signed him from the Hammers. (The Sun)

Tottenham midfielder Danny Murphy is being lined up for a £2m switch to Bolton. (The Sun)

OTHER GOSSIP

Arsenal defender Ashley Cole, who is expected to join Chelsea, has been banned from using official Gunners photos for his controversial new book. (The Sun)

Aston Villa are confident of unveiling Martin O'Neill as their new manager within 48 hours. (Daily Mirror)

England defender Gary Neville gave Portugal winger Cristiano Ronaldo the cold shoulder on his return to training with Manchester United. (The Sun)

Ex-Everton star Thomas Gravesen was thrown out of a Real Madrid pre-season training session in Austria after brawling with Brazilian winger Robinho. (Daily Star)

Liverpool striker Peter Crouch says Liverpool's players do not want to set foot in Israel to play their Champions League qualifier with Maccabi Haifa because of the crisis in the Middle East. (Various)

Ex-England coach Terry Venables has agreed in principle to join new national boss Steve McClaren's staff and talks have started over his salary and title. (The Independent)

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has written off Liverpool Premiership title chances. (Various)

Celtic chairman Brian Quinn wants the fans to banish sectarian chants at games - or risk Uefa punishment. (Daily Record)

Wigan goalkeeper Mike Pollitt needed stitches to a head wound after crashing into the post when warming up for the friendly with Barnsley. (Various)

FUNNIES

England midfielder Frank Lampard topped a Yahoo! poll of sports flops following his country's disappointing World Cup campaign, despite having more shots than anyone else. Ex-England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson and striker Wayne Rooney were second and third. (Daily Express)

From BBC ©

Woody better not cost any more than 1million pounds!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re-signing Woodgate when he's spent pretty much every moment he's been away from us injured is completely stupid IMO. Yes we all know he's great when he's fit, but I really can't be arsed with Dyer, Owen and now Woodgate constantly filling the Chronicle with stories of how this time it'll be different, the injury's gone for good etc etc.

If you want a centre half sign one that can actually play ffs.

Graveson and Woodgate surely wouldn't cost more than £5m tops for the two of them so this would mean we would be spending £10m on a striker.

That's a hell of a lot for Harewood!

168922[/snapback]

It's Ronaldo man. Real Madrid triple swoop. ;)

Re-signing Woodgate when he's spent pretty much every moment he's been away from us injured is completely stupid IMO.  Yes we all know he's great when he's fit, but I really can't be arsed with Dyer, Owen and now Woodgate constantly filling the Chronicle with stories of how this time it'll be different, the injury's gone for good etc etc.

168921[/snapback]

On the other hand, Real Madrid have been excellent with Woodgate concerning the injury (they've never rushed him back once, they've sent him to USA for operations, he's had a lot of rehabilitation), could be a very small chance that with him having an injury-free pre-season this year, it might have cleared over. (I should have maybe put the "very small" in bold).

Graveson and Woodgate surely wouldn't cost more than £5m tops for the two of them so this would mean we would be spending £10m on a striker.

168922[/snapback]

168924[/snapback]

See Graveson allegedly smacked Robinho in pre-season training!

So a triple swoop of a proper player, a crock and a new shareholder in greggs.

168922[/snapback]

168924[/snapback]

See Graveson allegedly smacked Robinho in pre-season training!

So a triple swoop of a proper player, a crock and a new shareholder in greggs.

168932[/snapback]

Quadruple swoop tbh, you forgot Beckham.. ;)

Re-signing Woodgate when he's spent pretty much every moment he's been away from us injured is completely stupid IMO.  Yes we all know he's great when he's fit, but I really can't be arsed with Dyer, Owen and now Woodgate constantly filling the Chronicle with stories of how this time it'll be different, the injury's gone for good etc etc.

168921[/snapback]

On the other hand, Real Madrid have been excellent with Woodgate concerning the injury (they've never rushed him back once, they've sent him to USA for operations, he's had a lot of rehabilitation), could be a very small chance that with him having an injury-free pre-season this year, it might have cleared over. (I should have maybe put the "very small" in bold).

168931[/snapback]

Only if his rehab has cleared all his problems ;)

168921[/snapback]

168931[/snapback]

He's barely played since he left us though. Whether that's because they haven't rushed him back or because he's a complete crock, who knows, but the fact that they'd be willing to cash in on him suggests they wouldn't be expecting to get too much return on their medical investment by keeping him.

168921[/snapback]

168931[/snapback]

He's barely played since he left us though. Whether that's because they haven't rushed him back or because he's a complete crock, who knows, but the fact that they'd be willing to cash in on him suggests they wouldn't be expecting to get too much return on their medical investment by keeping him.

168945[/snapback]

Exactly, if Madrid thought for a minute he was ever going to be fully fit, I fail to see why they would want to release him. The thought of a fit Woodgate and Cannavaro playing at centre half would surely fix Reals defensive problems.

Unless they know hes never going to be fit I fail to see why they would let a player of that quality go...

168921[/snapback]

168931[/snapback]

168945[/snapback]

They have changed manager about fourteen times since he signed for them though. Maybe the new regime just aren't interested in him.

Not saying your wrong like just giving looking on the bright side a go. It feels funny though!

We don't want woodgate back, just another drinking partner for dyer to kill time with whilst collecting their massive wages.

168970[/snapback]

Freddy would have him back though.

168979[/snapback]

That's second on Shepherd's misguided "What the fans really really want" list, behind Alan Shearer as manager.

168921[/snapback]

168931[/snapback]

And if this is the case, so what? He'll just break down with another different injury after less than 10 games. Guarenteed.

Do we really need another centre mid when we have high earners we can't get sho of in that position already?  ;)

169089[/snapback]

Yes, because outside of what's in the first team, you're taking a big step down. We need quality cover, not just well-paid cover. Besides, I think we'll get rid of Faye before the window closes.

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Newcastle are ready to splash out £15m on three new signings - Thomas Gravesen and Jonathan Woodgate from Real Madrid as well as a striker. (Daily Express)

I like how they think they know how much he is going to spend then are so vague on who the striker is.

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Newcastle are ready to splash out £15m on three new signings - Thomas Gravesen and Jonathan Woodgate from Real Madrid as well as a striker. (Daily Express)

I like how they think they know how much he is going to spend then are so vague on who the striker is.

169106[/snapback]

Good point ;)

Oliver's comment in the Ronnie today is classic:

My lasting impression of Gravesen is the way he took Olivier Bernard out of the game with a crunching tackle at Goodison Park a couple of years ago and set off the move which saw Everton wrap up the game.

Just when you think he can't be any more of an utter fucking mong, he pulls one out of the hat.