Striker search dutch and go

Isegrim

Striker search dutch and go

Aug 4 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder has admitted he is finding it "tough" to bring in the strikers Newcastle United so desperately need for the start of their Premiership campaign in 15 days time.

But the United boss said it was not for the want of trying by himself, his assistant Kevin Bond and chairman Freddy Shepherd.

So much so that after supervising today's open day and training session in preparation for tomorrow's friendly with Villarreal at St James' Park, Roeder and Bond will dash to Newcastle Airport and fly to Holland to take in the two games in tonight's Amsterdam Tournament.

The United pair will fly back to Newcastle early tomorrow morning to take charge of the team for the Villarreal game - and jet out again to Holland at 6am on Sunday morning.

Roeder and Bond will watch Manchester United play Porto in Amsterdam tonight and then Ajax go in against Inter Milan at a time when, along with Spurs, they have been linked with an £8.5m move for the Italian outfit's striker Obafemi Martins.

Both Shepherd and Roeder accept and understand why the only question on Tyneside these days is just which strikers the club are going to bring to St James' Park.

And in his most frank interview yet on the transfer situation, Roeder told me today: "We understand where the fans are coming from but we have got to look at the situation logically and we are all trying to keep calm and hold our nerve.

"We are doing all we can. Both myself and Kevin Bond are on the phone all the time after we have finished training and so too is the chairman. We are in daily contact with the chairman and we are working closely together.

"We know we don't have any margin for errors but if we do make a mistake it will be an honest one.

"We also know what is going through the minds of our supporters, especially as Newcastle United have a history of buying players in the close season.

"However, the transfer deadline goes right to the end of this month and I can assure our supporters that the chairman, Kevin and myself, who have so many contacts in the game among us, will continue to work right to the end," added Roeder.

Apart from the big four of Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool there hasn't been that many big-money deals among the rest of the clubs in the Premiership.

Indeed, Roeder admits: "I can honestly say at this stage in the transfer deals that have been done, I do not feel we have missed out on anyone we wanted to bring to St James' Park.

"A lot of Premiership managers are in the same boat as I am. Yes Chelsea have got Michael Ballack and Shevchenko but which other clubs have made any good signings?

"I am not giving any secrets away when I say that some of the players we have targeted have not been allowed to go by their clubs.

"Just like the fact that we will not let most of our players leave Newcastle United."

United fans will not be surprised to hear that despite his agent Stefano Guercini saying he is in talks with Newcastle, Empoli striker Francesco Tavano will not be coming to St James' Park.

Roeder simply says: "We are not in any talks about this player."

Edited by Isegrim

:blush:

None of that fills me with any confidence.

We know we don't have any margin for errors but if we do make a mistake it will be an honest one.

Not what you want to hear as things stand.

"We are doing all we can. Both myself and Kevin Bond are on the phone all the time after we have finished training and so too is the chairman. We are in daily contact with the chairman and we are working closely together.

"

Translation. We are scrambling about trying to sign someone but we haven't really got a fucking clue what we're doing.

Who on earth are they ringing to be on the phone all the time like? Have they identified targets or are they just working their way through the phone book asking people if they can score goals and would fancy a game for Newcastle?

Who on earth are they ringing to be on the phone all the time like?  Have they identified targets or are they just working their way through the phone book asking people if they can score goals and would fancy a game for Newcastle?

170439[/snapback]

I'm Anderson, they haven't fucking rang me yet. :blush:

If I've not had the call by 2, I'm going out, stuff them, they had their chance.

especially as Newcastle United have a history of buying players in the close season.

Pardon?

which other clubs have made any good signings?

Which clubs are facing the start of the season with Luque and Ameobi upfront?

Oliver forgetting the fact that Spurs have spent £16m at least :lol:

170448[/snapback]

:blush: I know. He's a fucking embarassment isn't he?

It's just the way that he ignores (or forgot/didn't know about) the spending of one of our main rivals (probably) next year that amused me. A lot of poeople fucking read and take in his spin though, which isn't so funny.

Even Wigan have spent more than us ffs, but it was Hheskey :lol:

170459[/snapback]

The way things stand, I wish we'd signed him. That's how bad things are now.

170470[/snapback]

Mate, get up out of your chair. Walk across to the mirror and have a good word with yourself...! :blush:

I'm still hopefull of Kuyt, tbh. He seems to want to come here and play in the Premiership, but god knows what's being done whether we're in for him or not...!

Have faith people, Portly Freddie will deliver the goods.

Dirk Kuyt, Kyut, Kjut, Kyuit, Kuit will be here for £8m in a week or so, I'll tells ya.

After all, when have I ever been wrong???

170484[/snapback]

Hiddink :blush:

Dirk Kuyt, Kyut, Kjut, Kyuit, Kuit will be here for £8m in a week or so, I'll tells ya.

170484[/snapback]

Hiddink :blush:

170486[/snapback]

Shshshshshsh your big mouth! :lol::lol:

If the reports of Man United being in for Kuyt are true, we've got Buckley's, as they say on Neighbours.

170491[/snapback]

Have there been any Kuit: 'Playing for Manchester United would be a dream come true' which applied for both us and Liverpool??? :blush:

170484[/snapback]

Well Shakira clearly believes in you:

EUT00000000002903349-RGB_72_24_600x600_80.jpg

:blush::lol: