BA Outsourcing bad deal

Rob W

Apparently BA sold Gate Gourmet for £ 60 million to cut costs...............

Last weeks strike cost them £ 40 million plus enough bad publicity to last a decade - and its not over yet either

:D:D:D

Edited by Rob W

Last weeks strike cost them £ 40 million plus enough bad publicity to last a decade - and its not over yet either

:D  :D  :D

13586[/snapback]

Companies seem to be doing this all the time now. Constantly cutting costs without realising that you can't keep getting the same quality of product with less, lower paid staff. Nice in a way to see BA getting their figures burnt, althogh it's shame for everyone whose holidays were knacked up as a result.

Not by a long way. I'm a bit worried for the BA workers who downed tools and took part in the wildcat strikes, I'm sure the top brass will get them for that in the future.

13593[/snapback]

They really should have worked something out with the union first, unofficial action leaves them with little protection. Maybe they are a little pampered, they should try working for someone like Ryanair!

:D  :D  :D

13586[/snapback]

Companies seem to be doing this all the time now. Constantly cutting costs without realising that you can't keep getting the same quality of product with less, lower paid staff. Nice in a way to see BA getting their figures burnt, althogh it's shame for everyone whose holidays were knacked up as a result.

13605[/snapback]

Yes, and how do the consumers respond? By accepting a lower quality with little complaint! And when they do complain what do you do? Lower the quality of the customer service. More profit for the company.

Gotta love capitalism - fuck the customer, fuck the employee, hail the almighty dollar.

Not by a long way. I'm a bit worried for the BA workers who downed tools and took part in the wildcat strikes, I'm sure the top brass will get them for that in the future.

13593[/snapback]

They really should have worked something out with the union first, unofficial action leaves them with little protection. Maybe they are a little pampered, they should try working for someone like Ryanair!

13645[/snapback]

You're right, worry for them when even their union said they shouldn't have walked out.

13593[/snapback]

13645[/snapback]

I don't think BA could do much - an airline is so vunerable to strike action/work to rule/"sickness" - even the HINT of any action will see potential customers fleeing to the alternatives......................................

there's not much brand loyalty in travel................

I have some sympathy for Gate Gourmet. OK, their handling of the lay-offs was horrendous, but they are in an awful situation. BA obviously didnt see the catering operations as efficient of profitable so they get someone else to do it, offer them even less money (otherwise they'd be doing it themselves) and expect service to continue as normal. A lot of these outsource/sell-off's are simply a bankruptcy waiting to happen.

Regardless of the union talks, it looks like every Gate Gourmet employee will be out of a job before long, without any kind of severance package either.

I have some sympathy for Gate Gourmet. OK, their handling of the lay-offs was horrendous, but they are in an awful situation. BA obviously didnt see the catering operations as efficient of profitable so they get someone else to do it, offer them even less money (otherwise they'd be doing it themselves) and expect service to continue as normal. A lot of these outsource/sell-off's are simply a bankruptcy waiting to happen.

Regardless of the union talks, it looks like every Gate Gourmet employee will be out of a job before long, without any kind of severance package either.

13661[/snapback]

of course they were planning this for months - they had a plan to gradually screw the wages and condiitons of the current work force and slip in E Europeans

"that was the previous managment" they claim........................