Lard Lad rules out panic buy

Toon rule out panic buying

Chairman Freddie Shepherd believes it is important that Newcastle United wait for the right centre forward to emerge rather than rushing out and panic buying.

The Magpies are yet to bring a striker in to replace their retired legendary frontman Alan Shearer, although they did pull off a coup with the signing of Chelsea winger Damien Duff for £5 million earlier in the summer.

But with Michael Owen set to be out for the season following his serious injury sustained with England at the World Cup, the St James' faithful have been anxious to see the team's attacking line bolstered further.

Shepherd though has backed boss Glenn Roeder to root out the right man for the job, just as he did with the Republic of Ireland international.

"We've always been linked with all the top players, but Glenn's not going to get anybody that'll not suit Newcastle," Shepherd told Sky Sports News.

"He's been very careful, like when he got Duff. Glenn wanted the left wing position filled and Duff filled the box, so he isn't going to hurry he's going to get the right guy and I don't disagree with that.

"This is Newcastle and we're many things, but we're never boring so let's see what happens."

United kick-off the new campaign on August 19 against Wigan Athletic at home, and Shepherd is excited to see Duff in action as The Magpies look to end their continuing trophy drought.

"He's so quick and the fans appreciate a good winger here. It's been a couple of years since we've played with wingers really and I think he's going to be a bit special," the chairman enthused.

"I think every season we're going to win something, so I'm no different from every other season I've been in.

"I always say we're going to win something and lets hope it's this season."

© Sky Sports

Sounds like we'll be waiting until January :blush:

Guest Patrokles
I reckon its either Trezegeut or ibrahimovic (whichever one Inter dont buy).  :blush:

170801[/snapback]

That's why Roeder's in Holland, he's drawing lots with Mancini to see who gets which.

"He's been very careful, like when he got Duff. Glenn wanted the left wing position filled and Duff filled the box.

Bollocks, we bought Duff because he happened to be cheap and available, we had no pressing need for a LW.

"This is Newcastle and we're many things, but we're never boring so let's see what happens."

:blush: Oh ffs, shut the fuck up Freddy, never being boring does not justify never winning anything. Would it be so terrible to have all our transfer targets identified and signed before the last minute you slovenly buffoon.

Edited by ewerk

Every time they say someting like that or grow protective over fringe players being sold you know we're having fuck all luck at getting the kind of players we want in. One more big name should be all it takes before we can convince other players to come here, but that big name player has to be a striker!

all hail the ambassador, he has something spectacular up his sleeve I feel

171223[/snapback]

A royal flush maybe?

-----

As for when we sign players, there is no rule saying you MUST sign them three weeks before the window closes? We still have three weeks to sign players and while it does get alarming, you cant judge whats came in until its closed. Its like when we signed duff and people said "but we need forwards ffs". There is also no rule about what order you bring your signings in. Would be nice to have a forward before the season starts like, but I'll keep my thought on how his first batch of signings has gone until the window has closed.

The sooner the better really as you want to have them mixing with the players in training so they know one-another’s game before the season kicks off.

Easier said than done when you’re probably talking about maybe four more new faces before the deadline, but I do stand by what I said in terms of Roader sticking by the likes of Luque & Milner where as a club we're very much capable of bringing in better replacements for the two. He might just be playing it safe, but he sounds very final on sticking with those two when as I said we could possibly swap or sell them on to bring better players into the squad.

Ideally we need at least one new striker. If we can get two that would be great, but I think realistically if it were Kuyt I doubt we'd be able to afford someone else of his caliber when we need other players of his quality in the squad at left-back, centre-half and possibly on the right-wing. Hopefully we’ll find out tomorrow who those two players are.