Joris Mathijsen?

Nobby

Saturdays Daily Telegraph says that Roeder will be having a look at Kuyt as our new number 9. Now I think most people had already assumed that that's why Roeder was off to Holland anyway.

But it goes on to say that he is also there to have a look at Dutch internationl centre half Joris Mathijsen who plays for AZ Alkmaar. Anyone seen him play ?

Here's the link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...05/sfnnew05.xml

The Guardian run with this too and also link De Cler with us...

Newcastle's manager was returning only this morning to the north-east after taking in the friendly in the Netherlands last night between AZ Alkmaar and Arsenal, where he planned to watch Joris Mathijsen, a defender who made three starts for Holland in the World Cup.

AZ's full-back Tim De Cler, also a Dutch squad member, is another who has the credentials to handle the Premiership, in a position where Newcastle lack competition for Celestine Babayaro.

Newcastle's manager was returning only this morning to the north-east after taking in the friendly in the Netherlands last night between AZ Alkmaar and Arsenal, where he planned to watch Joris Mathijsen, a defender who made three starts for Holland in the World Cup.

AZ's full-back Tim De Cler, also a Dutch squad member, is another who has the credentials to handle the Premiership, in a position where Newcastle lack competition for Celestine Babayaro.

170889[/snapback]

I read that thinking of Cilla Black. :blush:

170889[/snapback]

I don't think he was at the AZ v Arsenal game to be honest, I'm told we had someone there but Roeder and Bond were pictured in the crown towards the end of the Man United v Porto game by Sky Sports.

De Cler would be a good buy if he didn't cost too much. Personally I can't say I've ever heard of Mathijsen before, but that isn't saying much. They are both dutch internationals though, so they cannot be too bad. In the current situation, I'd prefer De Cler to Mathijsen, purely because we need a left back and at the minute, we can get by on what we have for centre halfs, as our main priority is strikers.

170889[/snapback]

I don't think he was at the AZ v Arsenal game to be honest, I'm told we had someone there but Roeder and Bond were pictured in the crown towards the end of the Man United v Porto game by Sky Sports.

170894[/snapback]

Man thats stupid....why go to Man Utd porto when he could have seen AZ....actually its not stupid if perhaps he's looking at someone from Porto.....I have no idea whose on mr. Roeders list....

I'll just go sit in the corner shall I...yeah... :lol:

Guest Patrokles

170889[/snapback]

170894[/snapback]

Man thats stupid....why go to Man Utd porto when he could have seen AZ....actually its not stupid if perhaps he's looking at someone from Porto.....I have no idea whose on mr. Roeders list....

I'll just go sit in the corner shall I...yeah... :lol:

171027[/snapback]

It's because the Inter game followed immediately after.

De Cler would be a good buy if he didn't cost too much. Personally I can't say I've ever heard of Mathijsen before, but that isn't saying much. They are both dutch internationals though, so they cannot be too bad. In the current situation, I'd prefer De Cler to Mathijsen, purely because we need a left back and at the minute, we can get by on what we have for centre halfs, as our main priority is strikers.

170949[/snapback]

I take it all back. Having watched tonights display, we need defenders and strikers equally urgently.