Spanish eyes are on goals

Scottish Mag

Albert Luque insists he is champing at the bit to get on the scoresheet against Villarreal tonight.

The Newcastle United forward has netted four goals in his last four games and is set to start the clash against the La Liga outfit alongside Shola Ameobi in attack.

However, the former Deportivo La Coruna man is not guaranteed a place in the starting line-up against Wigan when the Premiership kicks off in two weeks' time, leaving him determined to keep his fine form going against last season's Champions League semi-finalists.

Luque, who will be a familiar face to many of today's visitors, said: "I know all about Villarreal because they are a Spanish side, and it would be great to score.

"They were a big team last year because they got to the last four of the Champions League.

"They were knocked out of the InterToto Cup this year, but they have signed more players and are a better team than last season.

"I think they have a strong side and it will be a very difficult match."

Luque has been impressed by United's pre-season build-up, which has so far yielded nine goals in four games despite the lack of strikers.

The Spaniard has bagged twice while Shola Ameobi has three goals to his name following strikes against Lillestrom and PSV.

Luque, though, is braced for a tough encounter against the side from El Madrigal.

He added: "Newcastle are a strong team and so are Villarreal, so it will be a good match.

"It is an excellent way to prepare for the Wigan game and the UEFA Cup second qualifying round."

Luque came back with a bang from his summer in Spain after netting the equaliser in the clash with Lillestrom in the InterToto Cup, but missed the return leg in Norway due to a back injury.

However, the Spaniard came off the bench for last week's clash with PSV Eindhoven and tucked home a penalty.

Luque scored against Villarreal in one of his final appearances for Depor in 2005 and underlined his determination to do the same again tonight.

He said: "I have scored 56 goals in La Liga and one of those was against Villarreal.

"I want to use this game to get my legs ready for the new season and also it is vital for me to score more goals.

"It is more important to me than most games because it is against a Spanish side.

"And if I do score my name will be in the Spanish newspapers."

Guest Patrokles
i really hope this lad makes it, i hope he proves his doubters wrong

170917[/snapback]

Unfortunately, the only way I can really see it happening is an injury to Shola, because I think that if they both keep scoring in Pre-season, it'll be Shola and whoever we bring in. Not to say I agree with that necessarily, but it's how it seems to be.

Depends who we bring in though. With all the transfer talk that gone on over the summer regarding strikers, and the fact we haven't got one in yet suggests that we may only bring in squad player strikers, with Roeder being forced to start Luque and Ameobi. Personally I cannot see us getting Kyut or Robbie Keane or any other big name striker.

Would love it if we could though.

Guest Patrokles
Depends who we bring in though. With all the transfer talk that gone on over the summer regarding strikers, and the fact we haven't got one in yet suggests that we may only bring in squad player strikers, with Roeder being forced to start Luque and Ameobi. Personally I cannot see us getting Kyut or Robbie Keane or any other big name striker.

170940[/snapback]

I disagree; I don't think Roeder is looking to bring in squad anythings, especially strikers.

170940[/snapback]

From what's been said, we obviously have money to spend on a striker (Roeder has said 2 ideally), the class of striker we're after means it's probably about 10 million, that should be enough to secure one of those 2 and both would probably be willing to join for different reasons. So why the negative feelings?

I think its just pre-season jitters that everything will go wrong at the last minute. I think the fact that we have been linked with pretty much every decent and half-decent striker going since the end of last season, and the fact we haven't bought one yet is just making me nervous, especially as the season starts in a fortnight.

I felt more like that at the end of last season, when I felt we obviously had no money for more players and had a truly decimated squad...and then Owen got injured.

Recent events have showed that we have money to spend, Roeder's still after FIVE players that we need if we are to go forwards rather than further backwards. I just hope the spending is with reasonably little risk.

Edited by DotBum

I felt more like that at the end of last season, when I felt we obviously had no money for more players and had a truly decimated squad...and then Owen got injured.

Recent events have showed that we have money to spend, Roeder's still after FIVE players that we need if we are to go forwards rather than further backwards.  I just hope the spending is with reasonably little risk.

170987[/snapback]

I agree, I would be happier if we spent no more than £15 - 20m in total this summer. No point spending big just to please the fans (like whoness) Roeder is looking after the best interests of this club not just for this season but future seasons as well.

with Owen and luque still at the club but not fulfilling their potential, we might have to accept we will be a little short up front this season until the little man's return. Or else risk streching this club financially to an extent that would be alot worse in the long run than another season finishing 7th or so...

I agree with you. We shouldn't go out and get expensive panic buys. I'm just thinking from a practical point of view. The quicker we get players into the squad, the sooner they will get to know the other players games etc. and will be better gelled when the season starts. I just don't want the same situation as last year when we got quite a few players a few days before deadline day so it was a couple of weeks before they go themselves into the squad properly. By then we had alredy played 4 games and not won a single one, and (cliche stand-by) they all count.

It's pretty much guaranteed that Roeder will do a better job without any more signings, than Souness did at the start of last season, but point taken.