Shola or Luque

adios

Who would you rather succeeded?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The latest of many articles in the Chronicle today about Shola and Luque meeting their potential. We all want these players who have shown nothing but potential to make it, but statistically few of them ever do. So, who do you think will make it, if either, and who would you rather prove their doubters wrong?

I've gone 50 cent myself as I think Shola deserves it more for his commitment, but a successful Luque could have a massive impact on Newcastle's season.

I've gone 50 cent myself as I think Shola deserves it more for his commitment, but a successful Luque could have a massive impact on Newcastle's season.

170923[/snapback]

I`ve gone with Luque. I think Shola has peaked to his best ability, back end of last season and pre-season. Luque has alot to offer. Luque needs to make it as we will lose too much money.

170923[/snapback]

I`ve gone with Luque. I think Shola has peaked to his best ability, back end of last season and pre-season. Luque has alot to offer. Luque needs to make it as we will lose too much money.

170929[/snapback]

Aye.

Guest Patrokles

It's hard because I don't want either to do badly, and for one to continue over the other, that would probably have to happen. If that makes sense.

It's hard because I don't want either to do badly, and for one to continue over the other, that would probably have to happen. If that makes sense.

170944[/snapback]

I know where you're coming from, it's a hypothetical, statistically we'll be lucky if one makes it - so if you had to pick one, who would it be. Don't worry we won't be physically maiming the one that loses the poll, or anything like that. :lol:

Luque has a classy touch to him, the fact Barca and Valencia keep sniffing round should tell us something, I'd give him a chance... Ameobi's all round play makes me want to cry.

Any other striker (in the world!) would have scored twice the goals shola did for us last year, not that i can fault his effort...

Based on their highlights reels :lol: Luque looks the more accomplished player of the two, so if had to choose one to come good it would be Luque. Not because I want Shola to fail, but because I think Luque's best is probably better than Shola's.

I read the question to mean "Who would you like to see be a success", rather than just "Who would youlike to reach his peak"

so I voted Shola, I'd love to see a local lad hit 20 odd goals a season.

but iof the question is who would I like to max his potential at Newcastle then it'd be Luque, because I think his potential is greater than Ameobi's

unfortunately

Fair point. We'd all love to see a local lad do well (like chops for instance), and that is what the question asks, but I would like Ameobi to be a better footballer if he was to spend his entire career with us.

I dont think he can get much better from what I've seen, after all he's not exactly young anymore.. Hope he proves me wrong like :lol:

Obviously i hope both hit fantastic form as it helps out NUFC which is all that matters.

But in terms of ability at their best then Luque is going to be the better player so you would hope he recahes his best and adapts to the prem if only one of them was to do well.

But to be fair to Shola if you judge him under Roeder alone he's looked a better player and has pretty much got a ratio of 1 in 2 so if he can keep that up he wouldn't go far wrong.

But ideally we will have signed at least 1 striker who is better than both of them and walks into the team.

On today's performance I'm not convinced Luque will ever adapt. I'd like to see him along side a top class striker, but he doesn't look like he's working the channels and he's not a centre-forward. He's not a winger, either. Shame, he's obviously got talent, but I'm not sure where he would fit in and be a success at Newcastle. There's also the crowd to think about, he's never going to work hard and he's always going to have bad games where he just looks lazy - can't see that being accepted.

Well done Shola, took that header about as well as he could have.

Id pretty much agree there. I thought Shola had a good game overall. Held the ball up well and took the header really well. Luque though still seemed a bit lost. Had a couple of canny runs but kept being caught offside.

I think we've seen the best we're ever going to see of Shola - however I don't think we can say the same of Luque and for that I've gone for the Spaniard.

If Luque can recapture the performances he was putting in for Deportivo, we'll be laughing...

I also think Shola has met his potential. However, if you look at stats alone since Roeder took over, he's scored 11 in 23, which like Papa said, is 1 in 2. That is good going for a striker. He just needs to keep that ratio for the rest of his career.

I still voted for fiddy though...

Guest Patrokles

I think, though, if you look at the small handful of 'great' Shola performances- Barcelona & Arsenal spring to mind- then maybe he hasn't necessarily reached his potential. I also believe that both of these games, and 80% of his good record under Roeder, were when he was playing without Shearer in the side. So maybe there's mileage in Ferdinand's idea.