Gravesen considers magpies option

Scottish Mag

Thomas Gravesen's agent has expressed his client's interest in a potential move to Newcastle.

Magpies manager Glenn Roeder confirmed this week that the club were monitoring the unsettled Real Madrid midfielder's status.

The former West Ham boss qualified that interest by suggesting that any one of a number of Premiership clubs would be keen to acquire the enforcer.

But Newcastle may have jumped to the head of the queue for the player, who will meet with Real sporting director Predrag Mijatovic in order to discuss his future.

The 30-year-old has long been linked with a switch from El Bernabeu, and his exit may have been facilitated by a training ground spat with Robinho.

The Dane's agent John Sivebaek underlined the £2 million-rated star's desire to return to The Premiership after a successful spell with Everton - the side he left for Real in January 2005.

"Thomas knows that Newcastle are a big club and we are only interested in talking to ambitious clubs," said Sivebaek.

"He had a good time in England and would prefer to go back there."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gravesen is already proved a class player. With £2 million it is a bargain IMO, assume we can sell Faye to Charlton for £1.5 or 2 million. But still, if the money is needed for a more important positions (striker or full-back) then better to allocate the money for that urgent position, as we also still have Butt

Guest Patrokles
Gravesen is already proved a class player. With £2 million it is a bargain IMO, assume we can sell Faye to Charlton for £1.5 or 2 million. But still, if the money is needed for a more important positions (striker or full-back) then better to allocate the money for that urgent position, as we also still have Butt

171468[/snapback]

For an extra 500k, I don't think there can be too many complaints about essentially swapping Gravesen for Faye. But he's not really a holding player.

He's not a holding player at all.

171498[/snapback]

He's a driving force, a tempo-setter, who just happens to look a reet hard bassa.

171500[/snapback]

Not as hard as his former teammate Stig Tofting:

_38049446_toftigafp.jpg

BBC © MMII | News Sources | Privacy

171498[/snapback]

He's a driving force, a tempo-setter, who just happens to look a reet hard bassa.

171500[/snapback]

_38049446_toftigafp.jpg

171532[/snapback]

daffygh5.jpg

(harsh I know, but I just wanted to use it..... :lol: )

171498[/snapback]

171500[/snapback]

_38049446_toftigafp.jpg

171532[/snapback]

daffygh5.jpg

(harsh I know, but I just wanted to use it..... :lol: )

171533[/snapback]

gaygaygaygay3ca5hipx6.gif

(Harsh I know, but Meenzer never gave me an opportunity..... :blink: )

171498[/snapback]

171500[/snapback]

_38049446_toftigafp.jpg

171532[/snapback]

daffygh5.jpg

(harsh I know, but I just wanted to use it..... :blink: )

171533[/snapback]

:lol:

Newcastle United defender Amady Faye was in London today talking over a £2m move to Charlton Athletic.

And if the Senegalese inter-national agrees to switch to South East London then the way would be clear for United to go to Real Madrid and talk about Thomas Gravesen.

The Chronicle reported on July 27 that Charlton's new boss Iain Dowie saw Faye as the type of midfielder he needs and the deal is likely to go through in the next 24 hours.

The only stumbling block could be personal terms as United pay tip top wages - and Charlton don't.

Yet if it does go through United will have done well to get their money back on a player who never really fitted in at St James' Park after Graeme Souness brought him from Portsmouth in January 2005.

But Gravesen is most definitely the type of player who would suit United for although they have some excellent midfielders on their books, none have the physical presence of the hard-tacking no-nonsene Danish international.

Now it remains to be seen whether United do move for Gravesen once the Faye deal goes through, especially as despite his two goals and fine showing against Villarreal, it is not 100% certain that Nicky Butt will be staying at St James' Park.

I can only guess there will be two schools of thought about United signing another midfielder.

First, that new strikers are a big, big priority and any other signings should wait.

Or the second that United should bring in as many quality players as they can regardless of their position - and Gravesen certainly fits this bill.

Newcastle United defender Amady Faye was in London today talking over a £2m move to Charlton Athletic.

And if the Senegalese inter-national agrees to switch to South East London then the way would be clear for United to go to Real Madrid and talk about Thomas Gravesen.

The Chronicle reported on July 27 that Charlton's new boss Iain Dowie saw Faye as the type of midfielder he needs and the deal is likely to go through in the next 24 hours.

The only stumbling block could be personal terms as United pay tip top wages - and Charlton don't.

Yet if it does go through United will have done well to get their money back on a player who never really fitted in at St James' Park after Graeme Souness brought him from Portsmouth in January 2005.

But Gravesen is most definitely the type of player who would suit United for although they have some excellent midfielders on their books, none have the physical presence of the hard-tacking no-nonsene Danish international.

Now it remains to be seen whether United do move for Gravesen once the Faye deal goes through, especially as despite his two goals and fine showing against Villarreal, it is not 100% certain that Nicky Butt will be staying at St James' Park.

I can only guess there will be two schools of thought about United signing another midfielder.

First, that new strikers are a big, big priority and any other signings should wait.

Or the second that United should bring in as many quality players as they can regardless of their position - and Gravesen certainly fits this bill.

171635[/snapback]

If we do get £2m+ for Faye, we should add that to the sum already waiting to be spent on a striker imo.

If we were to get Gravesen, who would make way is what I want to know??

Edited by snakehips

If we do get £2m+ for Faye, we should add that to the sum already waiting to be spent on a striker imo.

171881[/snapback]

Emre.

171881[/snapback]

Emre.

171886[/snapback]

Parker and Gravesen in the middle of the park?? Hmmm, I think that Emre gives us quite a bit of class in the midfield. What we need is a frikkin good striker to make use of his, Duff's and Nobby's skill/passing abilities imo.

171881[/snapback]

Emre.

171886[/snapback]

Parker and Gravesen in the middle of the park?? Hmmm, I think that Emre gives us quite a bit of class in the midfield. What we need is a frikkin good striker to make use of his, Duff's and Nobby's skill/passing abilities imo.

171914[/snapback]

They're totally different sorts of players though. There seems to be this myth that Gravesen is a defensive midfielder when he's nothing of the sort.

Guest Patrokles

171881[/snapback]

Emre.

171886[/snapback]

171914[/snapback]

They're totally different sorts of players though. There seems to be this myth that Gravesen is a defensive midfielder when he's nothing of the sort.

171917[/snapback]

Same could be said about Parker, to be fair.

I would say they are both box-to-box players, I've seen the best of Parker recently when he's been allowed to come forward more late in matches when certain substitutions have been made.

2 players covering each other when the other player moves forward.

171881[/snapback]

Emre.

171886[/snapback]

171914[/snapback]

171917[/snapback]

Same could be said about Parker, to be fair.

171918[/snapback]

Aye but Parker can play there whereas Gravesen can't tackle to save his life.