Ben Haim: Wanted by Toon and Pompey

Scottish Mag

Portsmouth will lock horns with Newcastle in a bid to prise Bolton centre-back Tal Ben Haim from the Reebok Stadium in a £2million deal.

Pompey boss Harry Redknapp is desperate to bolster his defensive options having told Andy O'Brien he has no future at Fratton Park.

And although Redknapp is expected to complete the capture of England centre-back Sol Campbell this week, he is also keen to land hardman Ben Haim - who can also play in the full-back positions.

If the Trotters agree to do business, though, Redknapp will face stiff competition from Glenn Roeder's Magpies for his signature.

Jean-Alain Boumsong is out of favour at St James' Park, and Roeder watched his side ship in three goals against Villarreal on Saturday.

Craig Moore and Titus Bramble are currently Newcastle's first-choice centre-backs, with Steven Taylor pushing them hard for a place.

Only thing I know about him is he dived against Man U.

Anyone know if he's any good? He is a CB and has premiership experience...but he wasn't on the fringes at Bolton was he?

Ah well, we wont sign him anyway.

Footballtransfers.net have his contract as expiring at the end of 06/07 which could mean one of two things-

-We're interested because Bolton could be forced to sell.

-His agent has made this up to get a cushy new contract.

Anyone else wondering why moore is ahead of taylor as centre back? (if this is true...)

171536[/snapback]

It's more a case of why is Bumble ahead of Taylor?

I'd really like to hear your case on why RoMoreeio would be third choice, with the current playing staff, after his performances when he was chosen?

Edited by sammynb

Anyone else wondering why moore is ahead of taylor as centre back? (if this is true...)

171536[/snapback]

It's more a case of why is Bumble ahead of Taylor?

I'd rellay like to hear your case on why RoMoreeio would be third choice, with the current playing staff, after his performances when he was chosen?

171537[/snapback]

Nothing against Moore, he has played quite well for us so far. I just think he is a bit limited compared to Taylor and Bramble, even if Titus can occasionally be a bit boumesque at times.

Maybe I just want Bramble to be a success more, he has had to take alot of stick over the years. Under Sir Bobby (Get well soon...) he was an important player that helped get us two years in the top four. With the right manager and coaching I think he still warrants a place..

Edited by JohnB

Bramble is currently a better defender than Taylor, Taylor and Bramble is an awful pairing, Boumsong is a ballerina we signed by accident.

FACTS!

Bramble is currently a better defender than Taylor, Taylor and Bramble is an awful pairing, Boumsong is a ballerina we signed by accident.

FACTS!

171570[/snapback]

Where does the useless aussie drunk sit in that list dot?

FACTS!

171570[/snapback]

Where does the useless aussie drunk sit in that list dot?

171574[/snapback]

Sorry, I was implying that he had to be in the first choice pairing, I prefer to think of things in terms of partnerships when it comes to to central defenders, but I've been impressed with him. Not world-class, but quality nonetheless, comfortable on the ball, good positioning, calming influence etc; he looks prone to the odd shocker, though.

He'd probably move to third/fourth choice if we signed a Campbell.

FACTS!

171570[/snapback]

Was that not Lua Lua? :lol:

171597[/snapback]

You don't think the fat man would give his left nut to have that ballerina in the squad now?

FACTS!

171570[/snapback]

Was that not Lua Lua? :lol:

171597[/snapback]

You don't think the fat man would give his left nut to have that ballerina in the squad now?

171609[/snapback]

Correct.