Sol Campbell set to sign for Pompey

Scottish Mag

Portsmouth are closing in on a deal with England defender Sol Campbell.

Campbell underwent a medical at Fratton Park on Monday prior to signing what BBC Sport understands is a one-year contract with a further year's option.

The 31-year-old was released by Arsenal following his desire to seek a new challenge after five years at the club.

In a double swoop by boss Harry Redknapp, Pompey are also closing in on Manchester City defender Sylvain Distin - for a reported £4m.

With no transfer fee involved for the England defender, Portsmouth will be easier able to meet Campbell's salary, believed to be in the region of £60,000 a week.

Campbell marks the first big summer signing for Redknapp who had been struggling to put new owner Sasha Gaydamak's wallet to work.

Redknapp is keen to make Campbell and Distin, who is in the last year of his contract at Manchester City, his new defensive pairing.

The Pompey boss has also made an approach to Manchester City for England keeper David James.

Campbell announced at the end of last season that he was leaving the Gunners to seek "a new challenge" after five years with the London club.

He made 197 appearances for the Gunners and won five major trophies after joining the club from arch rivals Tottenham in 2001.

Manchester City are understood to have made a late bid to snatch Sol Campbell from Portsmouth's clutches.

City know that Sylvain Distin's future is uncertain and because of this manager Stuart Pearce wants additional cover in central defence.

Campbell, who is leaving Arsenal on a free transfer, is now believed to have received a late call from City - despite the fact he has already undergone a medical at Fratton Park.

City will hope they can persuade Campbell to make the move north, while Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp will be frantic to try and complete a deal.

Despite making a host of bids for players this summer, Redknapp is yet to spend any of Pompey's new found wealth following Alexandre Gaydamak's buy-out of the club.

Thus far only David Thompson (free) and Glen Johnson (loan) have arrived and Redknapp's summer transfer scheme is not going to plan.

Ironically should Campbell make the move to Eastlands, then Portsmouth could very well intensify their own interest in Distin.

Pompey and Middlesbrough have both shown a keen interest in the French defender who has so far refused to extend his contract at City and his departure from the club could be signalled by Campbell's arrival.

Aye..I doubt there is anyone better to teach Stevie Taylor how to be a big bad motherfunker at the heart of defense than Big Sol...except maybe Tony Adams :unsure:

Would definately make me feel a little more confident than I do now with our defense...everytime we get attacked its like oh shit is bramble gonna mess up ....

Edited by Shido

We should be in for Campbell like.  Roeder talks a lot of sense a lot of the time, but passing up on Hasselbaink and now Campbell so far this transfer window has been pretty stupid IMO.

172373[/snapback]

Aye, even if they were on a lot of money we could have got them on short-term deals to minimise the risk of us getting stuck with them if it goes pear-shaped. Reckon both would have come here too.

Personally I think we should be in for Distin too.

172467[/snapback]

Frustrates the fuck out of me and I've mentioned this before but Robson should have signed Distin and Upson as they were available for roughly what we spent on Bramble.

I thought we were in for Distin but he turned us down because City offered him more money?

172500[/snapback]

Aye but we had numerous opportunities to sign him when he was on loan here. We fannied about and KK stole in and got him.

Campbell to Man City now?

172505[/snapback]

Heard that this morning too.

172516[/snapback]

Travelled back down to Pompey for more talks allegedly.