Heat's on in striker bid

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder admits the heat is on Newcastle United in their bid to find a new striker before their Premiership season kicks off against Wigan in 12 days time.

And he insisted today: "We have got to make it happen and make a decision soon - and it has to be the right decision."

Ironically, Roeder was bowled over by the heat when he ran the rule over Feyenoord striker Dirk Kuyt in yesterday's 2-0 win over Middlesbrough in Rotterdam yesterday afternoon.

As revealed in The Chronicle on Friday night, Roeder and his No 2 Kevin Bond travelled to Holland on Friday night, flew back to Tyneside on Saturday morning and jetted back on the 6am plane on Sunday morning.

Roeder and Bond had another look at Kuyt, who has been made skipper of Feyenoord, and the Dutch striker scored the second Feyenoord goal.

However, Roeder told me today: "The temperature must have been 100 degrees in Rotterdam yesterday and it was a low-key, paceless game. As a result it would be unfair and unwise to make any judgement on any player.

"I am still glad I went to Rotterdam yesterday but you just could not get a fair reflection on any player."

Feyenoord do not have to cash in on Kuyt after banking £8m at the end of May when they sold their young Ivory Coast striker Salamon Kalou to Chelsea.

And my reading of the situation is that United's valuation of Kuyt is way below the £10m Feyenoord are talking about.

On Friday night the United pair watched Manchester United and Porto in the Amsterdam Tournament followed by Inter Milan and Ajax, while chief scout David Mills took in the AZ Alkmaar friendly with Arsenal.

And in between, if there were any doubts that United were desperately in need of a new striker - or two - Albert Luque's lacklustre performance against his fellow countrymen in the 3-3 draw with Villarreal confirmed it.

I believe Roeder's main interest on Friday night was Inter Milan's Nigerian striker Obafemi Martins, who is rated in the £10m bracket by the Italians.

And he has something in abundance which United are lacking so badly up front at the moment - pace.

In an ideal world I gather Roeder wanted to bring in a top striker for decent money and get another one on the cheap.

The latter was destined to be Juan Pablo Angel, who cost Aston Villa £13m but who, I understand, might have been available for less than £2m and would have been worth a gamble at this price to link up with Nobby Solano again.

But United's interest has not materialised and Angel will not be arriving at St James' Park.

On the two flying visits to Amsterdam, Roeder added: "I have to say it was all very interesting and I saw some players who have gone in my notebook for the future."

Apart from Roeder, Bond and Mills, United sent Lee Clark to look at another name for the future, Hartlepool's promising young striker James Brown, on Saturday.

And Terry McDermott took in Derby County's 2-2 draw with Southampton yesterday, while Mills watched Thursday's UEFA Cup opponents Ventspils go out of the Latvian League Cup to Skonto Riga yesterday.

Guest Patrokles
Someone should really teach Oliver the meaning of irony.  He's an utter retard.

172145[/snapback]

Well, he was kinda right there. The heat is on Roeder to find a new striker, Kuyt being a major target, but because of the other kind of heat he was unable to assess Dirky Dirk properly. I think you should email him and apologise for the slur. Then you can add 'but you're still a cunt.'

Hartelpools James Brown

There's something about this that pleases me, I don't know what it is...just.. I dunno

I feel good, I knew that I would....

Someone should really teach Oliver the meaning of irony.  He's an utter retard.

172145[/snapback]

Well, he was kinda right there. The heat is on Roeder to find a new striker, Kuyt being a major target, but because of the other kind of heat he was unable to assess Dirky Dirk properly. I think you should email him and apologise for the slur. Then you can add 'but you're still a cunt.'

172147[/snapback]

:icon_lol::unsure::(:blush::( Dirky Dirk :(:icon_lol: From Dirkistan??

Team America :slap: