Martins requests transfer

Emre

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would trying to get Martins on a loan deal (they've just got Crespo on one) possibly be the best solution for all parties? Not ideal for us long-term but we're desperate now.

172436[/snapback]

Wasn't our last loan signing Michael Bridges? :blush:

172482[/snapback]

And? :unsure:

172518[/snapback]

It was eons ago, baldy heed! :icon_lol:

Some folk, on here as well as on other boards, seem to think Chewsee will get him. What the fuck would he want to go there for?? He wants to leave Inter as he is down the pecking order - which is exactly the same situation he would be in at 'The Bridge'.

Did we have anyone at the game last night? If we bothered to send someone to Holland to watch surely we could've pushed the boat out and sent them to the Watford game as well if we were interested.

I don't think we'll get him tbh. I get more and more disillusioned every day with our transfer situation. Three weeks tomorrow the window closes, and so far we've signed one player - a player who I doubt was on Roeder's original list, but who was all of a sudden available for a good price.

As for Wayne Bridge, Mourinho's comments in the press today are that they currently only have one true left back at the club and that they can't go through the season with just Wayne Bridge. So if they sign Ashley Cole, I don't see Wayne Bridge all of a sudden becoming available either.

I just don't see who we're really after that we have any real chance of getting, apart from Gravesen.

I don't think we'll get him tbh.  I get more and more disillusioned every day with our transfer situation.  Three weeks tomorrow the window closes, and so far we've signed one player - a player who I doubt was on Roeder's original list, but who was all of a sudden available for a good price.

As for Wayne Bridge, Mourinho's comments in the press today are that they currently only have one true left back at the club and that they can't go through the season with just Wayne Bridge.  So if they sign Ashley Cole, I don't see Wayne Bridge all of a sudden becoming available either.

I just don't see who we're really after that we have any real chance of getting, apart from Gravesen.

173134[/snapback]

That's cheered me up no end.

Magpies in Martins bidAug 9 2006

By Paul Gilder, The Journal

Glenn Roeder will step up his bid to bring Obafemi Martins to St James's Park after the disillusioned Inter Milan striker last night demanded to leave the San Siro.

But that does not signal the end of Newcastle's interest in Dirk Kuyt, with the United boss admitting the Dutch international remains an active target who will be watched again by the club's scouts.

The Magpies squad landed in Latvia yesterday to finalise preparations for tomorrow's Uefa Cup second qualifying round tie against FK Ventspils and although Roeder is confident a shortage of firepower will not damage his team's European prospects, he knows he must strengthen his strikeforce ahead of the new Premiership campaign.

Roeder has spent all summer monitoring Kuyt's performances but has yet to make up his mind about the £10m-rated Feyenoord frontman.

And having received a glowing report on Martins from assistant manager Kevin Bond at the weekend, the 50-year-old has earmarked the African as an alternative target as he strives to finally make a breakthrough in his long search for Alan Shearer's successor.

Indeed, the Nigerian's agent, Patrick Bastianelli, claimed yesterday Newcastle had made an offer for his client - who last night played in Inter's 1-1 friendly draw with Watford at Vicarage Road - along with Tottenham Hotspur, Portsmouth and Valencia.

While leaving the door open for a move, Bastianelli added: "At the moment Martins is not on the market" but rumours surrounding Hernan Crespo's arrival from Chelsea on Monday triggered Martins to handing in a transfer request.

"He's a very good player - a bit different, very quick and strong," said Roeder. "I don't like to talk about other club's players too much but he is one who has been mentioned, as has Kuyt, and I can see no reason not to continue with the possibilities that exist with both players."

Having signed Crespo, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Luca Toni this summer, Inter are understood to be willing to sell Martins for £8.5m and, with the Nigerian international actively seeking a transfer, he has emerged as an attractive alternative to Kuyt to a coach fast running out of time.

Newcastle's ambitious manager is preparing to make his interest in the 21-year-old official. But although Kuyt has been pushed down the pecking order following an indifferent World Cup, he remains on Roeder's radar.

"I saw him play (against Middlesbrough) on Sunday and have no reason to remove him from my list," he said last night. "We will study him again at the weekend - as we will two or three others - but I wouldn't like to say which one ends up at Newcastle.

"Kuyt played well the other day and there's no reason why we shouldn't watch him again but that doesn't mean we will be bidding for him."

Martins's availability has seen him rise to the top of the Roeder's wishlist. Having beaten Martin Jol to the signature of Damien Duff already this summer, Tottenham's interest will not concern the Magpies boss. Bond watched the striker score twice against Ajax in the Amsterdam Tournament last week and his endorsement of Martins has given Roeder an intriguing new option.

A manager pursuing several players in various positions is also keeping tabs on Wayne Bridge's situation at Chelsea. A more immediate target, though, is Thomas Gravesen. The troubled Danish international has not travelled with Real Madrid on a pre-season tour of the US and, with Amdy Faye's switch to Charlton finalised last night, an official approach appears imminent.

"Other managers have expressed an interest in Gravesen but I don't mind competition because that suggests they are highly-valued players," added Roeder. "There's no progress to report but transfers are not concluded in 24 hours. There are always things that need to be tidied up and deals to be done and that can take more than a week."

I don't think we'll get him tbh.  I get more and more disillusioned every day with our transfer situation.  Three weeks tomorrow the window closes, and so far we've signed one player - a player who I doubt was on Roeder's original list, but who was all of a sudden available for a good price.

As for Wayne Bridge, Mourinho's comments in the press today are that they currently only have one true left back at the club and that they can't go through the season with just Wayne Bridge.  So if they sign Ashley Cole, I don't see Wayne Bridge all of a sudden becoming available either.

173134[/snapback]

173139[/snapback]

:) I don't mean to put a downer on things, but if the Kuyt and Martins deals fall through (which is perfectly feasible), we're back to square one with three weeks of the window left to go. All of this should have been sorted out ages ago, and we should have just been putting Gravesen as a finishing touch to the squad. Instead we've brought in ONE of the 5 or 6 players Roeder said we needed. I think we're in trouble.

"He's a very good player - a bit different, very quick and strong," said Roeder. "I don't like to talk about other club's players too much but he is one who has been mentioned, as has Kuyt, and I can see no reason not to continue with the possibilities that exist with both players.

173147[/snapback]

Buy one, loan the other for fuck sake.

That will give us two strikers and donkey.

Edited by sammynb

173134[/snapback]

173139[/snapback]

:) I don't mean to put a downer on things, but if the Kuyt and Martins deals fall through (which is perfectly feasible), we're back to square one with three weeks of the window left to go. All of this should have been sorted out ages ago, and we should have just been putting Gravesen as a finishing touch to the squad. Instead we've brought in ONE of the 5 or 6 players Roeder said we needed. I think we're in trouble.

173151[/snapback]

your posts are becoming increasingly Rentonesque. That worries me more than any transfer tbh

Edited by luckypierre

173134[/snapback]

173139[/snapback]

173151[/snapback]

your posts are becoming increasingly Rentonesque. That worries me more than any transfer tbh

173176[/snapback]

There's not a lot to be positive about tbh. We are 2 weeks away from Shepherd having to start splashing out silly money that we can't afford on panic buys. It should never have got to this stage, but unfortunately, when you rule out making any signings until after the World Cup has finished (reducing the 3-month transfer window by a third, and the pre-season transfer window (the bit where clubs actually can afford to lose players and have time to replace them) to 6 weeks), you create problems for yourself.

2 weeks is a long time, it's been an odd summer, World Cup, Italian fiasco, relax! :)

173191[/snapback]

We're in the midst of another Newcastle fiasco tbh. If only me and Renton can recognise that fact, then so be it. :razz:

Soz and that, but I've always been upbeat in the past, but I just think we're once again going about things the wrong way here. :lol:

2 weeks is a long time, it's been an odd summer, World Cup, Italian fiasco, relax! :)

173191[/snapback]

We're in the midst of another Newcastle fiasco tbh. If only me and Renton can recognise that fact, then so be it. :razz:

Soz and that, but I've always been upbeat in the past, but I just think we're once again going about things the wrong way here. :lol:

173194[/snapback]

Aye, that's why it's so noticable, if it was Rantin' I'd probably just ignore it. I still believe we'll bring in a left back, Gravesen and 1/2 strikers*. I'd usually be an optimist, but Souness knocked the shit out of me, while I believe the Roedster will get it right in the transfer market I'm still far from convinced about his long-term prospects.

*I'm very concerned we won't bring in another centre-back!

Having signed Crespo, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Luca Toni this summer, Inter are understood to be willing to sell Martins for £8.5m and, with the Nigerian international actively seeking a transfer, he has emerged as an attractive alternative to Kuyt to a coach fast running out of time.

173147[/snapback]

Errr.....pardon?

Seriously, who employs these fuckwits?

Edited by Sima

173191[/snapback]

173194[/snapback]

I do still think we will bring in some players and at least one will be a striker but I totally agree that we have completly fucked up the way we have gone about doing it to the degree that we are now dangerously close to panic stations (if we aren't there already).

The point of preseason is to prepare for the coming season. How can you do this when you still don't have a team put together?

I've said it elsewhere, but we haven't adjusted yet to the concept of a transfer window. We don't know how to operate in one. The idea is NOT to take all 3 months up and then do all your business in the last week, as Shepherd seems to think it is. He's like a kid at school who gets given 3 month to do an assignment and leaves it all to the last minute to get it sorted.

We should be looking to get all of our transfer dealings completed BEFORE we start pre-season training, and where that isn't possible we should be making the finishing touches to the squad during pre-season. We should NOT be doing all of our business this late. It's stupid, it's unprofessional and it prevents us from preparing properly for the season ahead.