Martins requests transfer

Emre

I've said it elsewhere, but we haven't adjusted yet to the concept of a transfer window.  We don't know how to operate in one.  The idea is NOT to take all 3 months up and then do all your business in the last week, as Shepherd seems to think it is.  He's like a kid at school who gets given 3 month to do an assignment and leaves it all to the last minute to get it sorted.

We should be looking to get all of our transfer dealings completed BEFORE we start pre-season training, and where that isn't possible we should be making the finishing touches to the squad during pre-season.  We should NOT be doing all of our business this late.  It's stupid, it's unprofessional and it prevents us from preparing properly for the season ahead.

173219[/snapback]

This is the wonderful world of Newcastle United. Have many other teams signed a significant amount or class player? Like Gemmill says transfers should be done all year round and the business end, signings done in the window (transfer)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it elsewhere, but we haven't adjusted yet to the concept of a transfer window.  We don't know how to operate in one.  The idea is NOT to take all 3 months up and then do all your business in the last week, as Shepherd seems to think it is.  He's like a kid at school who gets given 3 month to do an assignment and leaves it all to the last minute to get it sorted.

We should be looking to get all of our transfer dealings completed BEFORE we start pre-season training, and where that isn't possible we should be making the finishing touches to the squad during pre-season.  We should NOT be doing all of our business this late.  It's stupid, it's unprofessional and it prevents us from preparing properly for the season ahead.

173219[/snapback]

Spot on.

173219[/snapback]

I think that's unfair on Shepherd; the reality is, from a business perspective, you have to use the full extent of the window as a negotiating tool. I'm not sure Owen would ever have signed for us if signings weren't restricted to a window. He's signed Luque from a chairman that other chairman just refuse to deal with because he's so bad, and whatever people say, he seems to form very solid relationships with other chairman. I think you have to give both Roeder and Shepherd credit for the balls it takes to wait for the right man, when the fans are screaming for signings and it can't be comfortable for them. Looking at the way Shperherd behaves, there's probably an element of machoism to his negotiations, but that doesn't make the tactic a bad one.

How detrimental the is to pre-season is another argument, but from a business point of view, I think he's got it spot on. Ultimately I'd rather have the right players lacking a pre-season than the wrong ones early.

173219[/snapback]

I think that's unfair on Shepherd; the reality is, from a business perspective, you have to use the full extent of the window as a negotiating tool. I'm not sure Owen would ever have signed for us if signings weren't restricted to a window. He's signed Luque from a chairman that other chairman just refuse to deal with because he's so bad, and whatever people say, he seems to form very solid relationships with other chairman. I think you have to give both Roeder and Shepherd credit for the balls it takes to wait for the right man, when the fans are screaming for signings and it can't be comfortable for them. Looking at the way Shperherd behaves, there's probably an element of machoism to his negotiations, but that doesn't make the tactic a bad one.

How detrimental the is to pre-season is another argument, but from a business point of view, I think he's got it spot on. Ultimately I'd rather have the right players lacking a pre-season than the wrong ones early.

173249[/snapback]

We could always get the right player in AND give them a full pre-season, you know? :) It's what proper clubs do. Or at least get them in as early as they can.

That Roeder STILL can't make his mind up between Kuyt and Martins is pretty damning tbh - it's not like they're even similar players or anything as far as I can see. I understand that he's trying to get the decision right, but I don't understand the willingness to toss aside half of the transfer window to do it. Ashton and Defoe could have been pursued earlier and real pressure put on their clubs during the World Cup to sell them. Instead we left it to the point where we had to turn our attentions elsewhere without really putting that pressure on them, because we couldn't afford to waste any more time pursuing them. Instead we've turned our attention back to Kuyt and onto a player we'd never even considered prior to the last week in July or so.

Of course, earlier in the summer, Martins wasn't even available.

173277[/snapback]

So? He wasn't even on our Roeder's radar (the Ro-dar) until we failed in our attempts for other players (by dilly-dallying IMO) and started to get desperate.

And by the way, we SHOULD have signed Hasselbaink. He lived in the area, he guaranteed goals, he would have taken a short term contract, and he was free. It had common sense signing written all over it. No surprises then that we passed up on it.

And by the way, we SHOULD have signed Hasselbaink.  He lived in the area, he guaranteed goals, he would have taken a short term contract, and he was free.  It had common sense signing written all over it.  No surprises then that we passed up on it.

173285[/snapback]

Same with Sol. Although it could be argued that we have plenty of :) central defenders :razz:

Edited by Fat Boy

Guest Patrokles
Of course, earlier in the summer, Martins wasn't even available.

173277[/snapback]

So? He wasn't even on our Roeder's radar (the Ro-dar) until we failed in our attempts for other players (by dilly-dallying IMO) and started to get desperate.

173284[/snapback]

By all accounts, we DID attempt to sign strikers early in the window, but their clubs didn't want to sell for anything approaching a reasonable price. I also think it's unfair to suggest that Roeder wouldn't have been interested in a player of Martins' calibre earlier, nor that Kuyt has suddenly emerged from nowhere.

And by the way, we SHOULD have signed Hasselbaink.  He lived in the area, he guaranteed goals, he would have taken a short term contract, and he was free.  It had common sense signing written all over it.  No surprises then that we passed up on it.

173285[/snapback]

theres a lot of things we should have done. We should be looking to get Trabelsi and Sorin imo.. two new fullbacks for what? 3.5m?

We should have paid the extra mill or two to get Boa Morte and Anelka last year rather than an extra 10 to get Owen and Luque

Why is it we always pay over the odds and never get players on loan or for free?

because we're ran by fuckin amateurs.

And just to balance it all out

5th best in a decade

50000 seater stadium

signing england internationals etc etc

We could always get the right player in AND give them a full pre-season, you know? :)  It's what proper clubs do.  Or at least get them in as early as they can.

That Roeder STILL can't make his mind up between Kuyt and Martins is pretty damning tbh - it's not like they're even similar players or anything as far as I can see.  I understand that he's trying to get the decision right, but I don't understand the willingness to toss aside half of the transfer window to do it.  Ashton and Defoe could have been pursued earlier and real pressure put on their clubs during the World Cup to sell them.  Instead we left it to the point where we had to turn our attentions elsewhere without really putting that pressure on them, because we couldn't afford to waste any more time pursuing them.  Instead we've turned our attention back to Kuyt and onto a player we'd never even considered prior to the last week in July or so.

173281[/snapback]

You think hasn't made up his mind? I think if they were both on the table, right now, for a certain price he'd know. I assumed his sudden willingness to talk a little bit about players contracted to other clubs was mind games, much as I think the whole process is. We're not willing to buy Kuyt for £10-14m, and neither are 2 other well run clubs in the Premiership. He wants to come to the Premiership and a waiting game is being played. Gol says we bid for Gudjohnsen, so he'd have had full pre-season, as would Duff if we weren't back ridiculously early. Obviuously in an ideal world all 5/6 would be in before pre-season, but we can't let on that that's important, and we can't be held over a barrel.

EDIT: Don't forget the window works both ways, the selling club can be left with an unhappy striker and no cash, and we can always go elsewhere (another reason to say you haven't decided yet!)

Roeder mentioned this week that the players he was looking at would be integrated within 2 or 3 days, because they're not off in the Bahamas, they're in training with their current clubs. When there was no window, players regularly joined clubs mid-season, let's not overstate the importance of pre-season at their new club, highly beneficial, yes, but not crucial.

I fear I'm becoming Leazes in his absence.

Edited by DotBum

I think with Kuyt it's more of a re-emergance.

How wasn't Martins available earlier in the summer? Inter will have had plans in place and he either was or wasn't part of them. Signing Crespo won't have changed that. There is no reason why we couldn't have made an enquiry about him earlier if we were in fact interested.

We could always get the right player in AND give them a full pre-season, you know? :)  It's what proper clubs do.  Or at least get them in as early as they can.

That Roeder STILL can't make his mind up between Kuyt and Martins is pretty damning tbh - it's not like they're even similar players or anything as far as I can see.  I understand that he's trying to get the decision right, but I don't understand the willingness to toss aside half of the transfer window to do it.  Ashton and Defoe could have been pursued earlier and real pressure put on their clubs during the World Cup to sell them.  Instead we left it to the point where we had to turn our attentions elsewhere without really putting that pressure on them, because we couldn't afford to waste any more time pursuing them.  Instead we've turned our attention back to Kuyt and onto a player we'd never even considered prior to the last week in July or so.

173281[/snapback]

You think hasn't made up his mind? I think if they were both on the table, right now, for a certain price he'd know. I assumed his sudden willingness to talk a little bit about players contracted to other clubs was mind games, much as I think the whole process is. We're not willing to buy Kuyt for £10-14m, and neither are 2 other well run clubs in the Premiership. He wants to come to the Premiership and a waiting game is being played. Gol says we bid for Gudjohnsen, so he'd have had full pre-season, as would Duff if we weren't back ridiculously early. Obviuously in an ideal world all 5/6 would be in before pre-season, but we can't let on that that's important, and we can't be held over a barrel.

EDIT: Don't forget the window works both ways, the selling club can be left with an unhappy striker and no cash, and we can always go elsewhere (another reason to say you haven't decided yet!)

Roeder mentioned this week that the players he was looking at would be integrated within 2 or 3 days, because they're not off in the Bahamas, they're in training with their current clubs. When there was no window, players regularly joined clubs mid-season, let's not overstate the importance of pre-season at their new club, highly beneficial, yes, but not crucial.

173303[/snapback]

Integrating them fitness wise shouldn't be a problem but we all know players (especially ones bought from overseas) regularly fail to settle at a new club immediately. Giving them a full or near full pre season with friendly games is the best way to counter act this.

173281[/snapback]

173303[/snapback]

If he's made his mind up why is he wasting his time watching them in pre-season matches. I think he's terrified of making the wrong decision and doesn't know yet what the right one is. Which at this stage is not on.

I don't want to appear to be having a go at Roeder specifically btw, because I'm sure he's not doing this out of unprofessionalism or anything of the sort. Far from it, I think he wants to get this right, but it's getting REALLY late in the day for all of this.

The fact that the window works both ways is another problem if you ask me - the selling club can't afford to sell too late as it needs the cash to bring in a replacement. The more we wait and drag our heels, the more likely Feyenoord are to turn around and say "Sorry, too late. He's staying here."

Guest Patrokles
I think with Kuyt it's more of a re-emergance.

How wasn't Martins available earlier in the summer?  Inter will have had plans in place and he either was or wasn't part of them.  Signing Crespo won't have changed that.  There is no reason why we couldn't have made an enquiry about him earlier if we were in fact interested.

173306[/snapback]

Because presumably Martins didn't want to move earlier in the summer, but signing Crespo has made him ponder. Not to do with Inter's intentions.

If he's made his mind up why is he wasting his time watching them in pre-season matches.  I think he's terrified of making the wrong decision and doesn't know yet what the right one is.  Which at this stage is not on. 

I don't want to appear to be having a go at Roeder specifically btw, because I'm sure he's not doing this out of unprofessionalism or anything of the sort.  Far from it, I think he wants to get this right, but it's getting REALLY late in the day for all of this.

The fact that the window works both ways is another problem if you ask me - the selling club can't afford to sell too late as it needs the cash to bring in a replacement.  The more we wait and drag our heels, the more likely Feyenoord are to turn around and say "Sorry, too late.  He's staying here."

173312[/snapback]

:) Full combat with a brain tumour might but that in perspective, like. © Anal Oliver

This is why you lot count the beans while the real work is being done, no balls. An ice cream out of petty cash and it's a bed wetting extravaganza in the Accounts Dept, not to mention the cost of therapy for years afterwards. :razz:

If he's made his mind up why is he wasting his time watching them in pre-season matches.  I think he's terrified of making the wrong decision and doesn't know yet what the right one is.  Which at this stage is not on. 

I don't want to appear to be having a go at Roeder specifically btw, because I'm sure he's not doing this out of unprofessionalism or anything of the sort.  Far from it, I think he wants to get this right, but it's getting REALLY late in the day for all of this.

The fact that the window works both ways is another problem if you ask me - the selling club can't afford to sell too late as it needs the cash to bring in a replacement.  The more we wait and drag our heels, the more likely Feyenoord are to turn around and say "Sorry, too late.  He's staying here."

173312[/snapback]

:) Full combat with a brain tumour might but that in perspective, like. © Anal Oliver

This is why you lot count the beans while the real work is being done, no balls. An ice cream out of petty cash and it's a bed wetting extravaganza in the Accounts Dept, not to mention the cost of therapy for years afterwards. :razz:

173322[/snapback]

I'm right and you know it, paddy! :lol:

Guest Patrokles

To be fair, this 'well, we could go for Kuyt, we could go for Martins' could just be so we don't get held to ransom over either.

I'm right and you know it, paddy!  :)

173331[/snapback]

Shore, what would Oi know about them pounds and the loike tbs tbs. :razz:

Seriously, they've got it right, we're just fretting like bairns because we want some transfer news to fill out empty lives.

To be fair, this 'well, we could go for Kuyt, we could go for Martins' could just be so we don't get held to ransom over either.

173338[/snapback]

Then again were dealing with professional football clubs not teenagers. :)

theres a lot of things we should have done. We should be looking to get Trabelsi and Sorin imo.. two new fullbacks for what? 3.5m?

We should have paid the extra mill or two to get Boa Morte and Anelka last year rather than an extra 10 to get Owen and Luque

Why is it we always pay over the odds and never get players on loan or for free?

because we're ran by fuckin amateurs.

And just to balance it all out

5th best in a decade

50000 seater stadium

signing england internationals etc etc

173301[/snapback]

:lol::lol::):razz:

You can just sense LM positively itching to come in and post on this :lol:

Guest Patrokles

173338[/snapback]

Then again were dealing with professional football clubs not teenagers. :)

173343[/snapback]

maybe we should get our mate to tell Kuyt we quite like him. :razz: