Non ipod MP3 player

Renton

Can anyone recommend or even suggest a non ipod MP3 player for me? I'm interested in something priced between 100 and 200 squids, that has an easy and intuitive OS (preferably drag and drop), will play all file types including WMA, looks decent and has a good battery life. I'm not that bothered if it has a HD or uses flash memory but it has to be small with a minimum capacity of 2 gigs.

I've had a look on the web but it's hard to see past the evil Macintosh monopoly.

Not getting an ipod will just serve as further proof that you're a gay boy, Renton.

172480[/snapback]

Thanks for that helpful advice. :unsure: My wife's got an iPod. It's shit and incompatible with a lot of my collection, hence I want a different brand.

I had a small Creative a while ago and it was fine, not many problems and was simple drag and drop.

My flat mate has the 20gig one at the moment and he has not had any problems yet.

I have the flash Sony one as it looks so dam good. :unsure:

Go out and get yourself a Sony Ericsson W810i and a seperate 4Gb Memory Stick Duo.

172511[/snapback]

I'm not a fan of phone/mp3 player combos. My current phone has an mp3 function but it's a bit shit really. The W800i did catch my eye, but I can't imagine it's as good as a dedicated player.

I was thinking of a Creative anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has one or a model to recommend.

Go out and get yourself a Sony Ericsson W810i and a seperate 4Gb Memory Stick Duo.

172511[/snapback]

Yeh, thats about the best thing to do these days. Does your music and your phone in 1 device.

Otherwise there are lots of USB flash drives that support mp3 and wma playback that go up to 2 gig and are cheap and is drag and drop. clicky here

172511[/snapback]

I'm not a fan of phone/mp3 player combos. My current phone has an mp3 function but it's a bit shit really. The W800i did catch my eye, but I can't imagine it's as good as a dedicated player.

I was thinking of a Creative anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has one or a model to recommend.

172526[/snapback]

ive got the w800i and the music on that is every bit as good as an ipod when played through the headphones, sounds shit on the speaker on the phone obviously though.

The problem with phone/mp3 combos is that you sit and listen to music on it for a few hours, then all of a sudden you want to phone someone.......aaaand the battery's on its way out. Or vice versa. Daft idea IMO.

172511[/snapback]

172526[/snapback]

To be honest, I think the sound quality is better than my iPod... and it has a much better battery life!

The Creative Zen is always the advice given by those that aren't cool enough for ipods, so that's probably what you're after.  Ask on Gen Chat on N-O tbh.

172514[/snapback]

:unsure:

Apologies for not following the crowd and buying an iPod, I tried to get one but was refused on the basis of my uncoolness.

A couple of my mate's have got iPods and i've found the sound quality to be lacking in comparison to my Zen Sleek Photo, so there.

The Creative Zen is always the advice given by those that aren't cool enough for ipods, so that's probably what you're after.  Ask on Gen Chat on N-O tbh.

172514[/snapback]

Apologies for not following the crowd and buying an iPod, I tried to get one but was refused on the basis of my uncoolness.

A couple of my mate's have got iPods and i've found the sound quality to be lacking in comparison to my Zen Sleek Photo, so there.

172551[/snapback]

Hey! No need to get shirty because you aren't cool enough to be an ipod owner!

http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zenvisionm/

prod14331_hdr_1_6_1.jpg

Smaller and better than ever before. The ZEN VISION:M does more than play your videos, photos and music. It displays them in their true glory on a vibrant, large full-color screen. Perfect for road trips long or short, carry your entertainment in the palmof your hand. Available in a light 30GB model, take your pick from 5 dazzling colors - blue, green, pink, black and white.

120 hours of movies

Big screen blockbusters, yesterday's picnic with your best friends, and even your favorite TV shows4. They now fit in your pocket and are perfect for sharing. ZEN VISION:M supports many video formats, such as DivX™ 4 & 55, XviD5, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG4-SP, WMV9 and Motion-JPEG, which simply means more choice and less restrictions on the types of video formats you can use.

Tens of thousands of photos 

View precious memories - tens of thousands of them - in 262,144 vivid colors at 320 x 240 resolution. Featuring a True Resolution image display, you can now view any photo you import without loss in quality or having to resize it. Take a closer look at your photos with the Zoom function, or scroll through your entire photo collection easily with the touchpad.

An amazing 15,000 songs

Perfect for taking with you on the road or around the house. Your music will sound as good as it looks, thanks to Creative's world-renowned audio clarity, custom equalizer and 8 preset EQ settings.

Movie and Photo Slideshows

Connect the ZEN VISION:M to a projector or TV with the video cable, and delight friends with big screen movie magic.

2.5" high-definition LCD screen

Watch movies and photos in their full glory on the large 2.5" LCD screen, even under bright lighting. Displaying up to 262,144 vibrant colors, get crisp, clear detail in every image in high-definition 320 x 240 resolution.

Vertical Touch Pad

Ergonomically designed, the innovative touch pad control enables quick, comfortable access to menus and settings.

Rechargeable Li-Ion battery

Enjoy up to 14 hours of music3, or 4 hours of movies with the rechargeable Li-Ion battery. Perfect for watching an entire movie non-stop anywhere you are.

FM radio & recorder

If 15,000 songs aren't enough, listen to more with the integrated FM radio. 32 station presets let you switch stations whenever you want.

Personal Organizer

Store and view all the information that's important to you - daily tasks, contact lists and even a calendar. ZEN VISION:M syncs easily with Microsoft Outlook, and lets you edit your information with Creative Media Explorer.

Voice recorder

Meetings, lectures, even voice memos to yourself - record them all with the integrated voice recorder, which stores hundreds of hours worth of recordings.

Full access to online music stores

Select from more than a million songs from a myriad of online music stores - Napster To Go, Yahoo! Music Unlimited, Rhapsody To Go, and so much more. With PlaysForSure support, you will always be able to play any digital music you purchase.

Fits your life perfectly

Select from an extensive line of accessories that make ZEN VISION:M the perfect companion. Pamper and protect your player with the chic leather case and LCD screen protector. Or choose from the wired remote, docking station, and car adaptor kit designed to make life easier.

It's pea-green ffs.

172560[/snapback]

Sorry Gemmill i only hope that one day i can be on your level of uber coolness. :unsure:

172570[/snapback]

The only way I would carry one of those things around is if I became Japanese overnight. That's a Japanese man's mp3 player if ever I saw one.

Guest Patrokles

I've got an Archos. It's small, it plays music, has a long battery life, can deal with being dropped on the pavement, and sounds good. I got one of the older Sonys for my friend, and that's decent. Also the new Sonys support every file format. The problem is, the sonicstage software that are obliged you use with it is a clunky unfriendly piece of shit. But it's tolerable.

Gemmil is right

if you don't want an iPod, You're clearly the type of fella that can pick out matching pastel shades at 100yds.

I have a Creative Zen Touch and it's lovely, a bit dated now like as it's a few years old. Also it's massive but I always have a bag so it's not a problem to me. Can't fault the model though, apart from the shite headphones that come with it.

so apart from the fact it's dated, huge and the earphones are shit.. it's ace....

well.. that's me sold.

Edited by The Fish