Magpies make signings progress...!

Geordie Boyo

From http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=40...gnings+progress

Magpies make signings progress

Glenn Roeder has revealed Newcastle United are making progress in their quest to secure new signings.

The Magpies are looking to bolster their squad before the transfer deadline at the end of August and have been linked with a string of players on the continent.

Over the weekend, Roeder and his scouting team took in several games in Holland, with the likes of Tim de Cler, Joris Mathijsen, Dirk Kuyt and Obafemi Martins under the microscope.

Real Madrid midfielder Thomas Gravesen is also a target for Newcastle, with the club edging nearer to bringing in new recruits.

"I think slowly we're making progress," Roeder told Sky Sports News.

"I can't honestly say we are a day, a day-and-a-half away from making another signing.

"We are making progress, even if it is slow.

"If we get the players I have in mind in the next two weeks, or by the time the 31st of August comes along, I will be very happy to go into the season with that squad."

Newcastle play Latvian side Ventspils in the Uefa Cup qualifying round on Thursday and Roeder is looking forward to a competitive game for his players.

He added: "We're into the real thing now, a Uefa Cup tie on Thursday. The players, being what they are, are happy pre-season is over.

"Training will alter now. I feel we've got a tank of stamina through absolutely working very, very hard and we need to change the training slightly to bring the speed and sharpness back in the legs which we haven't had in the last two friendlies. It will be there on Thursday.

"You can only get to the final if you are in it. We will give it our absolute best shot.

"If we're going to be in four competitions, which we are this year, you need to be lucky with injuries and you need a squad big enough to cope with being in four competitions and we are working on that now, as you know."

The Magpies chief is also confident that the errors which have littered the pre-season campaign will quickly be driven out of his players.

"The mistakes that have been made, and they have been mistakes, they can be ironed out very easily," continued Roeder.

"They are mistakes that lads of this quality shouldn't be making. Although there's not such a thing as a friendly, all games are competitive, the lads know there isn't actually anything on the games.

"If you want, they have been a little too relaxed when they have been defending, they haven't concentrated hard enough or they haven't made a tackle when they should have made a tackle and they have let Shay be exposed.

"Let's get those out of the way now and hopefully they will be eradicated and we won't see them for the rest of the season."

Edited by Geordie Boyo

I reckon it will be Graveson after Faye goes to Charlton.

Good signing, gives more quality in depth to the centre.

Not the forward we all crave, but Im sure that will come before the window closes.

Aye the next signing will be Tommy G...and it won't be in a day and a half as it says

"I can't honestly say we are a day, a day-and-a-half away from making another signing."

Edited by Shido

Wel probably have graveson by the end of the week which gives me no optimism going into the season whatsoever. We let 6 goals in in 2 games and struggle up front, so lets buy a similar midfielder to parker and butt. Cracking tactics from NUFC!

Wel probably have graveson by the end of the week which gives me no optimism going into the season whatsoever. We let 6 goals in in 2 games and struggle up front, so lets buy a similar midfielder to parker and butt. Cracking tactics from NUFC!

172634[/snapback]

More like Emre than those two tbh.

not really. He rarely scores or provides assists, he doesnt take on players or dribble too well. He breaks up attacks and lays the ball off for someone else to counter. Real madrid bought him to plug the gap left by makelele and he couldnt manage it.

not really. He rarely scores or provides assists, he doesnt take on players or dribble too well. He breaks up attacks and lays the ball off for someone else to counter. Real madrid bought him to plug the gap left by makelele and he couldnt manage it.

172672[/snapback]

Couldn't manage it because he's not that sort of player, he was successful at Everton in a free role with Carsley sitting in and he can't tackle. Nothing like Butt or Parker.

Guest Psyrinix
Got me hair like his in anticipation on his arrival tbh.

172704[/snapback]

fucking hell, imagine that? like when we unveiled Gullit there was thousands of knackers wearing Gullit wigs. Except, we have a bald wig, for Gravesen.

on second thoughts, can I fuck imagine that.

Guest Psyrinix
who else has their black & white face paints ready and their jesters hat for when we sign Gravesen?

172688[/snapback]

Hmmm, thought Villa were interested as well??

172729[/snapback]

they just dont have the same pulling power as Newcastle United. we are Newcastle United, the one, the only, Mighty Magpies!

Right?

who else has their black & white face paints ready and their jesters hat for when we sign Gravesen?

172688[/snapback]

Hmmm, thought Villa were interested as well??

172729[/snapback]

they just dont have the same pulling power as Newcastle United. we are Newcastle United, the one, the only, Mighty Magpies!

Right?

172735[/snapback]

Right. So Villa it is then!!!