Carr in Ireland U-turn

khay

Newcastle United defender Stephen Carr has come out of international retirement and been recalled to Republic of Ireland's squad.

Carr, who hung up his international boots after the team failed to qualify for the 2006 World Cup, has had a dramatic change of heart.

The former Spurs defender had been quoted as saying: "I've made my decision, and there's no going back for me now," back in October 2005.

However, Carr is keen to add his 39 caps and has the chance after being called up by Steve Staunton for Ireland's clash against Holland on August 16.

"I'm delighted to have the opportunity to name Stephen Carr in my squad for the game next week against The Netherlands," said Staunton.

"Stephen has vast experience on the international scene and it's great to see him back. I feel he still has something to offer."

Full Republic of Ireland squad to face Holland:

Given (Newcastle), Kenny (Sheff Utd), Henderson (Brighton), Andy O'Brien (Portsmouth), Dunne (Man City), O'Shea (Man Utd), Harte (Levante), Finnan (Liverpool), Carr (Newcastle), Kelly (Birmingham), Miller (Man Utd), Reid (Blackburn), Kavanagh (Wigan), Ireland (Man City), Kilbane (Everton), Alan O'Brien (Newcastle), McGeady (Celtic), Dixon (Tottenham), Duff (Newcastle), Doyle (Reading), Morrison (Crystal Palace), Lee (Ipswich), Elliott (Sunderland), Keane (Tottenham).

Guest Patrokles
How O'Brien can get in without ever starting a game is beyond me.  Almost like taking a kid who's never played in the premiership to the world cup!

172789[/snapback]

Because it's a friendly and he must have impressed for the U-21s.

Guest Patrokles
Any chance he can do a U-turn back to Spurs?

178406[/snapback]

At least he'll make Kuyt look good if Dirky Dirk plays out wide left.