Outlook Express

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Something's up with my Outlook Express: When I go online it starts up as normal says "receiving mail..." then does nothing for a couple of minute before displaying this:

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

or, if I try again, this:

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your User Name was rejected. Account: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91

What's up with it? I can still send messages which seems odd and can read incoming via tiscali's site. :)

Guest Patrokles
Something's up with my Outlook Express: When I go online it starts up as normal says "receiving mail..." then does nothing for a couple of minute before displaying this:

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

or, if I try again, this:

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your User Name was rejected. Account: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91

What's up with it? I can still send messages which seems odd and can read incoming via tiscali's site. :)

173015[/snapback]

Check on tiscali's website and see if they've made any changes to their POP3 server, which you'd then have to reconfigure in OE.

On the subject of email software, does anyone use mozilla thunderbird and would they recommend it? I've been using firefox as my browser for over a year and have thought a couple of times of trying thunderbird as well.

173769[/snapback]

Yes, absolutely. We've used it for over a year on 2 computers without any problems and would be intensive email users, we'd have hundreds of thousands of mails stored on each computer.

I think it's possibly the first mail program that hasn't completely freaked out on me at some point.

I tried it for a while, but preferred Mac Mail. I also tried Entourage - Microsoft's mac version of Outlook and it's an absolute shambles of a programme. Keeps downloading emails 5 and 6 times, so my inbox on my computer is just jammed with duplicate copies of the same email.

Eudora is always very good.

174345[/snapback]

Do you still have to put up with ads for the free version?

It completely freaks out under heavy usage.

Guest Patrokles
Eudora is always very good.

174345[/snapback]

Do you still have to put up with ads for the free version?

It completely freaks out under heavy usage.

174390[/snapback]

I'm not sure, to be honest. I haven't used it in a while, but it was my client of choice when I did. I just use webmail nowadays.