Kuyt Might Be Worth Another Look

Scottish Mag

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...~879077,00.html

GLENN Roeder has revealed he still has an interest in Dirk Kuyt - and other strikers from his shopping list - as his search for new blood continues.

Roeder spent last weekend in Holland watching two games in the Amsterdam Tournament, and Feyenoord's friendly win over Middlesbrough in which Dutch international Kuyt scored.

Roeder was asked by press ahead of Thursday's UEFA Cup qualifier with FK Ventspils in Latvia about his recent scouting trips, and he said: "I saw Dirk Kuyt on Sunday.

"I would have no reason to remove him, or a couple of my other targets, from my list.

"We will be studying him again at the weekend, like we are two or three other strikers.

"Which ends up at Newcastle I would not like to say at the moment. There is no certainty about any of the strikers we are looking at ending up coming here.

"He (Kuyt) played well and I didn't see any reason why we should not go and watch him again. But that dosn't mean we are going to be bidding for him, or that he is coming here.

"But certainly he did well enough for us to remain interested as we are in two or three other strikers I have seen recently."

One of the teams Roeder saw at the Amsterdam Tournament was Inter Milan, and he has been linked with their Nigerian front-runner Obefami Martins.

Roeder added: "He is another very good player, different. He is very, very quick and strong.

"I don't like talking about other club's players too much, but he is another one who has been mentioned the same as Kuyt has and I would not see any reason not to continue looking at the possibilities about both players.

"There are a couple of others I saw at the Ajax tournament that I also liked.

"There is still enough time to get the players in I want to. It's not just strikers, there will be one or two other positions we look to fill as well."

Reports have suggested that one of those areas would be midfield, as Real Madrid midfielder Thomas Gravesen continues to be linked with a switch to Gallowgate.

Having already proved his Premiership pedigree with Everton, United wouldn't be the only club interested in bringing the shaven-headed schemer back to England.

Roeder added: "Other managers have expressed they would be interested in Thomas Gravesen.

"I don't mind being in competition with other clubs for players that I want. That would suggest they are highly valued.

"Damien Duff came here and he chose us in front of Tottenham and Liverpool, and that's absolute fact as Martin Jol reminded me when I saw him the other day.

By which point there'll be 2.5 weeks of the transfer window left, and STILL we haven't made our mind up whether to even make a bid.  Brilliant.

173161[/snapback]

Settle boy, settle.

How is this any different to the transfer windows of the last 4 seasons?

By which point there'll be 2.5 weeks of the transfer window left, and STILL we haven't made our mind up whether to even make a bid.  Brilliant.

173161[/snapback]

Settle boy, settle.

173164[/snapback]

All of which were a roaring success. :)

173161[/snapback]

Settle boy, settle.

173164[/snapback]

All of which were a roaring success. :razz:

173166[/snapback]

You don't say? :)

It's more your whining that's different this season. :lol:

Fuck ever offering Roeder a Quality Street at Christmas - it would be fuckin' Easter before he made his mind up which one he wanted and you got the tin back!!

'Oohh that looks a nice one. But, that looks lovely as well. Oh, hang on, I like the look of that one. WAIT, that looks really tatsty'

Fully behind Roeder for numerous reasons.

173268[/snapback]

One of which is because you like being behind him??? :)

Seriously though, I know what you mean but he and Portly Freddie aint half making us sweat!!

Guest Patrokles
Fully behind Roeder for numerous reasons.

173268[/snapback]

One of which is because you like being behind him??? :)

Seriously though, I know what you mean but he and Portly Freddie aint half making us sweat!!

173272[/snapback]

I agree completely, and if the end of the window comes around without us having signed anyone, I will be as disappointed as anyone. But I'm keeping faith in him, and if it means us having to wait a bit longer to get someone of real quality, who has been well and truly assessed properly, rather than another Luque/Kluivert/Marcelino, then I'll go along with that.

If you think about it, had we blown, say, £15 million on Ashton/Defoe the first week of the window, we probably wouldn't have got Duff, we wouldn't have had the chance to get Martins (because he wasn't available), etc. Roeder has said himself that we haven't really missed out on anyone we really wanted, and it's not as though Kuyt was signed up weeks ago by West Ham.

I'm still confident in Roeder; it seems clear he knows exactly what we need, and is trying very hard to make sure that when we make a signing, it's not just going to be another waste of money/ leave us treading water/ for the sake of it.

There's nothing wrong in taking a little time, making sure we get the right man...whoever we get is going to cost us and we've already spent £10m on someone who, to be fair, looks like he doesn't care. At the same time though, our options are becoming limited and the clock is ticking. We've supposedly been tracking Kuyt for months, I don't see how watching him in some half arsed pre-season friendlies is going to help.

Guest Patrokles
There's nothing wrong in taking a little time, making sure we get the right man...whoever we get is going to cost us and we've already spent £10m on someone who, to be fair, looks like he doesn't care. At the same time though, our options are becoming limited and the clock is ticking. We've supposedly been tracking Kuyt for months, I don't see how watching him in some half arsed pre-season friendlies is going to help.

173354[/snapback]

I think it's more a case of this being the first time Roeder himself has gone to watch him, rather than his scouts.

173354[/snapback]

I think it's more a case of this being the first time Roeder himself has gone to watch him, rather than his scouts.

173356[/snapback]

That's even worse! We've been interested in the lad since April and Roeder's going to watch him play for the first time 2.5 weeks before the window closes. :)

Seems to be the last transefer we'll make before the deadline. If so I hope we do get the likes of Bridge and Gravesen now...! Obviously we'll have to wait on Cole going to Chel$ki, but he doesn't seem to be in any rush either...!

Seems to be the last transefer we'll make before the deadline. If so I hope we do get the likes of Bridge and Gravesen now...! Obviously we'll have to wait on Cole going to Chel$ki, but he doesn't seem to be in any rush either...!

173399[/snapback]

Jose's given Arsenal an end of week deadline for the Cole transfer according to the mail.

If we start next season with Kuyt and Martins as our pair up front along with a couple of new defenders, we are looking at a top 4 finish.

Unfortunately I cannot see this happening. How long left in the transfer window? Seems to be cutting it a bit fine!

Guest Patrokles
If we start next season with Kuyt and Martins as our pair up front along with a couple of new defenders, we are looking at a top 4 finish.

Unfortunately I cannot see this happening. How long left in the transfer window? Seems to be cutting it a bit fine!

173493[/snapback]

I think it's either/or, rather than both.

173354[/snapback]

173356[/snapback]

That's even worse! We've been interested in the lad since April and Roeder's going to watch him play for the first time 2.5 weeks before the window closes. :)

173361[/snapback]

In friendlies as well. Not exactly watching him in a competitive game.