Roeder confirms Gravesen talks

Geordie Boyo

From http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=40...+Gravesen+talks

Newcastle United boss Glenn Roeder has confirmed the club are in talks with Real Madrid regarding Thomas Gravesen.

The former West Ham United manager is keen to boost his midfield by signing the Denmark international, who seems keen to leave El Santiago Bernabeu.

Gravesen's agent John Sivebaek confirmed his client's interest in a move to the North East giants, with the former Hamburg and Everton player having been omitted from Real's pre-season tour of America.

The arrival of Brazilian Emerson from Juventus has put Gravesen's Real future in doubt and a recent bust-up with Robinho during the club's pre-season training camp in Austria will not have helped the midfielder's situation.

Roeder confirmed that developments over a move for Gravesen were ongoing.

"Our interest has been confirmed and there are things going on behind the scenes," Roeder said in the Daily Mirror.

Meanwhile, Roeder has called on fellow midfielder Nicky Butt to resurrect his Newcastle career.

The former Manchester United player has struggled to make an impact on Tyneside, having endured a difficult loan spell at Birmingham City last season.

He was the subject of jeers from the Toon Army this pre-season, but Roeder believes Butt can overcome his critics.

"He came on against Villarreal without having a good reception," Roeder added.

"It has been water off a ducks back and he turned a few jeers into cheers by the end of the match by scoring a couple of goals.

"I have no desire to see him leave the club. He is highly motivated. Everyone starts a new season with the slate wiped clear.

"He has a drawer full of caps, championship medals and cup-winning medals - more winning medals than anyone in our side. His performances in the friendlies have been excellent.

"He has a fire in him still and he is focused. He has not sulked, not had his head down, that is why he won so many medals."

Great! So that's Gravesen in the bag hopefully tomorrow afternoon with Bridge closely to follow and HOPEFULLY one or two strikers next week!

Good news also on Nicky Butt staying, IMO. We should have a strong squad this season with more options which makes a change rather than just a handful of key players to rely on.

If by the end of the summer we've signed:

* Duff

* Gravesen

* Martins

* Bridge

I'll be a happy man :lol:

174315[/snapback]

i'd agree with you there. is it likely that we can find any cash for martins though. i'd rather get a decent left back than a very fast but inconsistent striker.

midfield is our strongest area currently as well, i mean do we need gravesen really?

Guest Patrokles
What do you think!  :D

-----------Shola------Martins

---Duff----------Dyer------Milner

Zoggy----------Parker--------Nobby

-------Gravesen------Butt---------

----------------Given---------------

175723[/snapback]

EMRE.

What do you think!  :D

-----------Shola------Martins

---Duff----------Dyer------Milner

Zoggy----------Parker--------Nobby

-------Gravesen------Butt---------

----------------Given---------------

175723[/snapback]

EMRE.

175759[/snapback]

Is shit. :D

I still cannot grasp our transfer policy. People seem far too confident by recent talk to me. What happens if Martins knocks us back and opts for another club (because he doesn't like the English weather, wants to stay in Italy, gets offers from better clubs). And even if we signed Martins I am not convinced by him. He is just another prospect from a southern European league (probably) signed far too late. He would get thrown into English football without any time to adapt. I already can hear the excuses: "Needs time to gel with his team mates", "has to adapt to the English style of football"etc.

* Duff

* Gravesen

* Martins

* Bridge

I'll be a happy man :D

174315[/snapback]

me too, but im not sure how any of them fit in with the ''desperate to impress, wouldnt see us as a move down'' bill that Roeder was spouting earlier.

Guest Patrokles

* Duff

* Gravesen

* Martins

* Bridge

174315[/snapback]

me too, but im not sure how any of them fit in with the ''desperate to impress, wouldnt see us as a move down'' bill that Roeder was spouting earlier.

175828[/snapback]

Well, because they're all second or third choice at their current clubs, despite their quality?

I'd prefer Kuyt to Martins if I'm being honest. Either way I'll be watching him later.

175921[/snapback]

How much have you seen of either of them?

* Duff

* Gravesen

* Martins

* Bridge

174315[/snapback]

175828[/snapback]

Well, because they're all second or third choice at their current clubs, despite their quality?

175870[/snapback]

Yeah, but they are only leaving cos the clubs dont want them anymore. Bridge, Graveson and Martins all have trophys, established internationals, plenty of money and im guessing they will be choosing us over other teams because we will pay the most.

Duff is different because it is obvious he wanted to come here, he turned down other clubs and has already made more positive noises about us in a week than Owen has in a year.

The likes of Graveson, Bridge and Martins are dragging their feet until the end of the week, seeing who else may come in for them.

They are 3 quality players, and id be happy to have them here, but they totally contradict what Roeder said previously .

Guest Patrokles

* Duff

* Gravesen

* Martins

* Bridge

174315[/snapback]

175828[/snapback]

175870[/snapback]

Yeah, but they are only leaving cos the clubs dont want them anymore. Bridge, Graveson and Martins all have trophys, established internationals, plenty of money and im guessing they will be choosing us over other teams because we will pay the most.

Duff is different because it is obvious he wanted to come here, he turned down other clubs and has already made more positive noises about us in a week than Owen has in a year.

The likes of Graveson, Bridge and Martins are dragging their feet until the end of the week, seeing who else may come in for them.

They are 3 quality players, and id be happy to have them here, but they totally contradict what Roeder said previously .

175927[/snapback]

Not sure about that.

* Duff

* Gravesen

* Martins

* Bridge

174315[/snapback]

175828[/snapback]

175870[/snapback]

175927[/snapback]

What trophies has Gravesen won like?