Terry named new England skipper

khay

Terry named new England skipper 

John Terry has been named as the new captain of the England football team.

The 25-year-old was confirmed on Thursday as the successor to David Beckham, who stepped down as England captain after the World Cup.

Terry begins his reign as captain in Steve McClaren's first match in charge, a friendly against Greece on 16 August.

McClaren told the Football Association's website: "I'm convinced he will prove to be one of the best captains England has ever had."

England's new coach confirmed that Liverpool's Steven Gerrard, who had been tipped by some to be named as captain, would be vice-captain.

McClaren said that the respect Terry commanded among his fellow professionals was behind his decision.

"John has all the attributes an international captain needs - leadership, authority, courage, ability, tactical awareness and a total refusal to accept second-best," he said.

"He has been an inspiration for Chelsea and is at his best in adversity.

"Over the five years I've been involved with the England coaching set-up I've seen first hand the respect that John has among his fellow players.

"There are a number of strong leaders in the squad and he will not lack support on and off the pitch."

Chelsea skipper Terry has won 29 caps since making his debut against Serbia and Montenegro on 3 June 2003.

Beckham stepped down as England captain one day after his team were knocked out of the World Cup quarter-finals by Portugal.

The midfielder had been skipper for six years after being handed the armband by stand-in coach Peter Taylor in 2000.

Central defender Terry was the bookmakers' odds-on favourite to follow Beckham, although many tipped Liverpool's Steven Gerrard to take the role.

A poll commissioned by the BBC Sport website and Radio Five Live had revealed that England fans were divided over who should be the new national captain.

Terry gained 51% of the votes, Gerrard polled 46% and Gary Neville got 2%.

Where's Wacky and his 'pointless thread' labels??? ;)

Honestly though, does anyone give a flying fuck about this????

174653[/snapback]

;) Nope....but I do care that somehow I lost my "Simon" trophy here.....even though the new person scored less than me (I got 50 :razz: )

:lol:

Yep, the right man got the job.

However as was said on Talksport this evening, Gerrard doesn't need an armband to have an influence on the pitch and the same would have been said had it been the other way around.

Thank god it wasn't Gary Neville IMO

BTW, am I the only one who thinks the FA is fucking nuts for arranging a friendly just 3 days before the football season starts?

I'd imagine that the clubs of any player who may pick up a serious injury in a pointless game ruling them out of the start of the season will be seriously pissed off!

BTW, am I the only one who thinks the FA is fucking nuts for arranging a friendly just 3 days before the football season starts?

I'd imagine that the clubs of any player who may pick up a serious injury in a pointless game ruling them out of the start of the season will be seriously pissed off!

175092[/snapback]

Silence. The FA never makes mistakes. NEVER.

Speculation about Beckham being dropped from the squad permanently. Might not be a bad idea. Don't see any point in giving him the odd appearance here and there just so he can get to 100 caps if he isn't really part of McLaren's plans.

It's about time though we had an England manager who's not going to cater for the soap opera that is Beckham, at least it gives a statement of intent to the other underperforming goons.

Speculation about Beckham being dropped from the squad permanently. Might not be a bad idea. Don't see any point in giving him the odd appearance here and there just so he can get to 100 caps if he isn't really part of McLaren's plans.

175184[/snapback]

Lennon in the side ahead of him :D

I don't mind him being in the squad if the manager thinks he'll still be in the sqaud come Euro 2008. If not though I think it would be a good time to make a clean break. In Gerrard, Lennon and Wright-Phillips we have other players who can play well there.

175184[/snapback]

175199[/snapback]

Rather play Gerrard there.

175184[/snapback]

175199[/snapback]

175216[/snapback]

Who in the middle? Lampard & Parker??

175184[/snapback]

175199[/snapback]

175216[/snapback]

Who in the middle? Lampard & Parker??

175218[/snapback]

Lampard and Carrick/Hargreaves/Parker (one of those three, not all of them)

.............Rooney........Ashton

J.Cole......Parker.......Gerrard.....Lennon

A.Cole...Woodgate......Terry......G.Neville

....................Robinson

.......................tbh...!

If all were fit! :D

Crouch

Defoe

Harewood

Downing

Lampard

Carrick

Hargreaves

Reo-Coker

Wright-Phillips

Bridge

Ferdinand

King

Carragher

Carson

Edited by Geordie Boyo

Aside from the world cup, Lampard was our top scorer in qualifying, voted England player of the year two years running (voted by the fans) and touted as the best goalscoring midfielder in the world by many top managers.

Ok, let's drop him because he didn't score one of his 21 shots in the world cup.

I simply rate Gerrard as a better all-rounded player. Scott Parker would be a great addition to play alongside Gerrad rather than an attack minded midfielder like Lampard. They both work really hard, one more attacking and the other more defensive. Makes sense to me!

Aside from the world cup, Lampard was our top scorer in qualifying, voted England player of the year two years running (voted by the fans) and touted as the best goalscoring midfielder in the world by many top managers.

Ok, let's drop him because he didn't score one of his 21 shots in the world cup.

175246[/snapback]

I think that now though, with a new manager and new ideas, we'll drop the Lampard/Gerrard partnership. It doesn't work and has been proved. Both good players, personally I think Gerrard is far better, but I think Lampard will be on the bench with a more defensive player in his place.

Not because of his World Cup, just because Gerrard is a better player.

If this is the end of Beckham's international career I think Mc Claren has handled it poorly. He must've known at the end of the WC that he wouldn't have been selecting him and should've let him "retire" with a bit of dignity deserving of an England captain rather than using it as an opportunity to "stamp his authority" on the squad.

175246[/snapback]

I think that now though, with a new manager and new ideas, we'll drop the Lampard/Gerrard partnership. It doesn't work and has been proved. Both good players, personally I think Gerrard is far better, but I think Lampard will be on the bench with a more defensive player in his place.

Not because of his World Cup, just because Gerrard is a better player.

175289[/snapback]

Better on the right, yes.

fuck beckham, great player as he was his indulgent behaviour cost us going further in the 98 and 2002 world cups. with lennon and swp we'll have 2 of the fastest and best right midfielders/ wingers in the world out there. i have only praise for steve mclaren in this role ( and also for graciously losing the uefa cup...)

Edited by canofbeans

fuck beckham, great player as he was his indulgent behaviour cost us going further in the 98 and 2002 world cups. with lennon and swp we'll have 2 of the fastest and best right midfielders/ wingers in the world out there. i have only praise for steve mclaren in this role ( and also for graciously losing the uefa cup...)

175978[/snapback]

Whilst they are both good players, to describe them as amongst the "best in the world" is surely over rating them ever so slightly..