Poker question

MattM4

just choosing my project, came across this gem:

Flexible Strategy Computer Player for Texas Hold’em Poker

Principal goal of the project: To construct an automated Poker Player that captures poker playing strategies explicitly. This player is aware of those strategies available to it and is also aware of other player’s strategies at run time, so can change its strategies accordingly at run time.

Description of the project: Poker playing has recently become very popular in the real life. It is also a game that can be suitably modelled and played using AI techniques. Automating game players using AI techniques is not new. However, traditional AI techniques have concentrated on board games, such as chess, checkers, Othello, backgammon and go, and have done very well. In such games, except future steps of the opponent, all information is available on the board and open to all participants, this is called perfect information game. A poker game, however, is very different, as only partial information is available, i.e. each player only knows their own hands and cards available on the table – they do not know their opponent’s cards. This is called an imperfect information game that it requires the players to cope with uncertainty, taking risk and deploy meaningful strategies. Representational works in this area are from Koller and Pfeffer [1] and Billings, etc [2].

The computational states for a complete game-theoretic solution for a full-scale 2-player Texas Hold'em poker game is quintillion (i.e. 10 to the 18th power). It is therefore important to apply representational techniques and computational strategies to cut down search space and seek near-optimal solutions. The goal of this project is to study reference [1] and implement a (simplier) system based on similar principles that is suitable for a 2-player Texas Hold’em poker game.

This project develops a knowledge representational language that captures the essence of a Texas Hold’em poker game that is developed on top of a previous project [6]. In addition, it captures game-playing strategies using explicit rules and implement them in a system. It is also important to log and analyse opponent’s behaviours and thus produce justifiable betting strategies in the game at run time.

This system will be analysed and evaluated regarding its performance by human as well as specifically designed computer players to test its targeted behaviours.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not read all of this thread but if there are beginners wanting to start off playing hold 'em then drop me a PM with an email address and I'll send you an 'ebook' which will keep you out of trouble whilst you are learning the game at lower limits.

Following the strategies outlined should enable you to make a steady profit at low limit but beware you will need to rethink your play once you graduate much above 5$/10$ and the play becomes a little tighter.

money for nothing sensation

I logged on to Party last night, and saw a notice that you can convert Partypoints to cash 1 cent per point. I have 25000 of those beauties, 250 dollars tyvm

Nice one. I only played on Party for about a month until Bush passed that bill and I moved to Stars, so I've got knack all in the way of those points.

Is there still loads of yanks playing on there? If so, how are they getting their cash on?

Just started playing this on the 360. Never thought it could be so addictive like. Tbh there doesn't seem like alot you have to learn. Saying that i've been mauled a fair few times like.

'Minutes to learn; a lifetime to master.'

Edited by Nate

I logged on to Party last night, and saw a notice that you can convert Partypoints to cash 1 cent per point. I have 25000 of those beauties, 250 dollars tyvm

Nice one. I only played on Party for about a month until Bush passed that bill and I moved to Stars, so I've got knack all in the way of those points.

Is there still loads of yanks playing on there? If so, how are they getting their cash on?

No Americans at all, at least none that are admitting it. There are a lot less players than before but at least I am not getting up at four in the morning anymore to catch the weakest players.

No Americans at all, at least none that are admitting it. There are a lot less players than before but at least I am not getting up at four in the morning anymore to catch the weakest players.

Seriously? Were you getting up that early to catch the mongs? Finally a winning session tonight after a ropey run in the SNGs. Mongfest on Stars tonight. One lad all-in first hand with 72o, probably thought he was being very clever until someone called him with AA. <_<

Is there a site i can use to play a mate using endless play money? I'm using www.poker.com software and it gives you 500 credits in play money. Problem is as soon as you run out you have to wait until the next day to get 500 more, seems shite to me like. I just need somewhere that lets you have lots of play money and the function so you can play a mate on the same table.

Just realised you dont have to wait 24 hours to get another 500 chips, you have to buy play money. What's the point in that?

Edited by Jellikit

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a site i can use to play a mate using endless play money? I'm using www.poker.com software and it gives you 500 credits in play money. Problem is as soon as you run out you have to wait until the next day to get 500 more, seems shite to me like. I just need somewhere that lets you have lots of play money and the function so you can play a mate on the same table.

Just realised you dont have to wait 24 hours to get another 500 chips, you have to buy play money. What's the point in that?

whats the point in infinite money?

kinda robs the whole "gamble" element from the game?

whats the point in infinite money?

kinda robs the whole "gamble" element from the game?

Getting familiar with the game.

So when he plays for real he's suitably prepared?

because we all know that when you play poker for real money you've an infinite stash.

The 500 a day is the best idea imo, means you "value" your fake money.

otherwise you'll keep making stupid bets, because who cares? you'll just go and get another two thousand chips.

So when he plays for real he's suitably prepared?

because we all know that when you play poker for real money you've an infinite stash.

The 500 a day is the best idea imo, means you "value" your fake money.

otherwise you'll keep making stupid bets, because who cares? you'll just go and get another two thousand chips.

Yeah, I see your point but some people may have no idea about the game, and want to learn to play, and might just want to practice betting ect, and discovering how big to bet etc.

Any sites to recommend for a "total beginner" ?? A few people in my area have been talking about setting up a poker night and I fancy joining in. Purely to be social of course ;)

Any sites to recommend for a "total beginner" ?? A few people in my area have been talking about setting up a poker night and I fancy joining in. Purely to be social of course ;)

Probably party poker, and do the poker trainer thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Emailed Party asking them if they'd like to offer me a reload bonus to tempt me back from Poker Stars. They duly obliged. Worth a shot for anyone not playing regularly on Stars. Did the same with Full Tilt and Pokerroom, but neither wanted to play.

27% rakeback on Full Tilt too, if you sign up through The Hendon Mob.