Duo close to joining Toon?

menace13

Double Toon swoop close

2006-08-10 13:36

Newcastle are reportedly on the verge of a double transfer breakthrough - with Wayne Bridge and Thomas Gravesen set to join the Toon.

The Sun claims that Chelsea left-back Bridge is locked in talks with United and will join in a £3million deal.

The England international wants to leave Stamford Bridge as he fears another season of being frozen out of the first-team picture in west London, especially if the Blues are successful in prising Ashley Cole away from Arsenal.

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has already confirmed his interest in Real midfielder Gravesen, who is being offloaded by the La Liga giants.

The Newcastle Chronicle reports that a deal for the Danish ace will be sealed by the beginning of next week.

Source: Clubcall

I know it's clubcall but I hope this is true.

Edited by menace13

"If you pay them, they will come"

Seriously though, when are we going to buy a striker?

We have known for a year that shearer would be retiring, we should have had someone in mind right from the start of the transfer window and it should have been done. Quickly.

Premiership starts in 9 days. Tonights display shows we need at least one more quality striker and we need him quickly. It will be too late by the end of the transfer window, as the season will have already started and they will need some time to gel into the squad. I'm getting nervous tbh. :D

Edited by Jigsaw's Juggernaut

Doesn't seem too outlandish. Would be happy to see both players here. My only worry is that the Cole deal wont happen so Bridge may decide to stay at Chelsea.

Also wish there were 2 strikers on that list as well. :D

175008[/snapback]

Even if the Cole deal doesn't go through, Chelsea will still be after another left back. Or you'd presume so anyway with the Gallas situation, that just leaves Bridge. But then you have a possible scenario of Chelsea refusing to let Bridge go as they would have no recognised back-up.

Sorry if I've complicated things there :D

Strikers will come.

175011[/snapback]

Jimbo shirley?? :D

175045[/snapback]

Come not Cum ffs

:D

175049[/snapback]

Howay man, play on wordz! :icon_lol:

"If you pay them, they will come"

Seriously though, when are we going to buy a striker?

We have known for a year that shearer would be retiring, we should have had someone in mind right from the start of the transfer window and it should have been done. Quickly.

Premiership starts in 9 days. Tonights display shows we need at least one more quality striker and we need him quickly. It will be too late by the end of the transfer window, as the season will have already started and they will need some time to gel into the squad. I'm getting nervous tbh. :D

175015[/snapback]

I think me and Gemmil have mentioned this once or twice too!

I reckon this thing with the 4-5-1 is a clear sign that we're only getting one new striker in (if that!), and we'll be playing him up front by himself.  Shola to be dropped.

175085[/snapback]

Judging on last night. I thought we did have the 5 midfielders but they did not seem to be astute enough or good enough to form an attacking edge.

I reckon this thing with the 4-5-1 is a clear sign that we're only getting one new striker in (if that!), and we'll be playing him up front by himself.  Shola to be dropped.

175085[/snapback]

That would be Peter Gabriel's new single wouldn't it?

Drop the donkey :D

:D

Thought Shola did as well as anyone yesterday. Led the line well. I assume most others thought he did okay as I cant spot a "Shola is shit" thread anywhere!  :D

175122[/snapback]

I thought he held the ball up ok, but he doesn't make the runs you would want from a top-class striker. I definitely think he looks a much better player than he did this time last season though.

Thought Shola did as well as anyone yesterday. Led the line well. I assume most others thought he did okay as I cant spot a "Shola is shit" thread anywhere!  :D

175122[/snapback]

I'm usually one of his supporters but looking at last night's display, he just does not attack the ball in the box. Shearer's retired now, so he can't be blamed for taking up the space, it doesn't look to me that at his age he's suddenly going to get that right. The players are obviously set up to deliver the ball to that kind of player, so there's really no place for Shola in the starting lineup.

Also, judging by how people have rated Emre, I must be on my own for feeling that he breaks up Newcastle moves more than any opposing defensive midfielder could. Yes he pulled the strings well last night (particularly second half) against the cream of Latvia, but he gives the ball away more than anyone else and puts pressure on our weak defence. I hope that's just preseason, and that he'll adapt better to the Premiership, but as things stand the bad outweighs the good for me.

Our midfield need someone up front stretching opposition defences and as we saw last night Shola clearly cannot do that (for all that he was ok).

If we can bring in some good forwards to do that I think you will see a hell of a lot more from Emre, Parker, Nobby and Duff. At the minute there just isn't any space for them.

Guest Patrokles

175122[/snapback]

I'm usually one of his supporters but looking at last night's display, he just does not attack the ball in the box. Shearer's retired now, so he can't be blamed for taking up the space, it doesn't look to me that at his age he's suddenly going to get that right. The players are obviously set up to deliver the ball to that kind of player, so there's really no place for Shola in the starting lineup.

Also, judging by how people have rated Emre, I must be on my own for feeling that he breaks up Newcastle moves more than any opposing defensive midfielder could. Yes he pulled the strings well last night (particularly second half) against the cream of Latvia, but he gives the ball away more than anyone else and puts pressure on our weak defence. I hope that's just preseason, and that he'll adapt better to the Premiership, but as things stand the bad outweighs the good for me.

175142[/snapback]

Emre is my hero, so DON'T EVEN.

Second half he did very well, first half he must have given the ball away 10 times. No one else saw this? He's been doing it all pre-season, percentage balls, fair enough, but the most noteworthy thing pre-season has been his constant misplacement of balls.

ASTON MARTIN IN CHASE FOR STARS

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill is planning a £7m double swoop to land Real Madrid midfielder Thomas Gravesen and Celtic star Stilian Petrov, according to the Daily Star.

O'Neill was caught up in the chaos at Britain's airports yesterday after flying back to discuss terms with one of his targets, believed to be Petrov.

The Bulgaria captain would cost around £5m, and is keen to link back up with O'Neill after their time together at Celtic.

But WGS insists no-one will be leaving Parkhead until he can bring in players of his own.

Gravesen is a different matter. Madrid are happy to let the former Everton player leave for as little as £2m - a price O'Neill regards as a steal.

ASTON MARTIN IN CHASE FOR STARS

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill is planning a £7m double swoop to land Real Madrid midfielder Thomas Gravesen and Celtic star Stilian Petrov, according to the Daily Star.

O'Neill was caught up in the chaos at Britain's airports yesterday after flying back to discuss terms with one of his targets, believed to be Petrov.

The Bulgaria captain would cost around £5m, and is keen to link back up with O'Neill after their time together at Celtic.

But WGS insists no-one will be leaving Parkhead until he can bring in players of his own.

Gravesen is a different matter. Madrid are happy to let the former Everton player leave for as little as £2m - a price O'Neill regards as a steal.

175398[/snapback]

Wee Gordon Strachan? :D