Your TV Series Recommendations

Gemmill

Obviously this won't be on the scale of the Films you recently watched thread, but just wondering if people have any TV series recommendations, cos I tend to get them out on DVD from time to time

I got Arrested Development out from Screenselect and reckon it's worth a watch if people want a decent American sitcom. It's no Curb Your Enthusiasm, but it's canny enough. I've only watched the first three episodes like.

Oz is absolutely class and should be downloaded by everyone at once.

Six Feet Under is superb although a bit of an obvious one.

I got Murder One out recently having not watched it the first time around, but it seemed really dated so I didn't bother after the first disc.

Any more for any more? You're not allowed to say 24 or Lost btw - too obvious. :D

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's Oz and where would you download it from?

175091[/snapback]

It's an HBO prison drama. I think "graphic" would be the best word to describe it. They don't hold back with anything. Really good storylines as well though. It's class, you won't be disappointed.

Torrents for download.

What's Oz and where would you download it from?

175091[/snapback]

It's an HBO prison drama. I think "graphic" would be the best word to describe it. They don't hold back with anything. Really good storylines as well though. It's class, you won't be disappointed.

Torrents for download.

175098[/snapback]

Cheers, I might check it out.

Tour of Duty.

If you liked band of brothers - this came before it and is much better.

175099[/snapback]

Nice one. Thought Band of Brothers was class so might give this a go. Is this the one that used to be on in the middle of the night?

Murder One - the first series anyway - is top quality. I remember watching that when it was shown on telly and loved it. If you've read Death by Hollywood (Steven Bochco) and like that then you're bound to enjoy this.

So, at the risk of being ridiculed for the rest of my life, here's my TV show recommendations:

- Smallville

- One Tree Hill

- The 4400

- Tru Calling

- Charmed (the earlier series'ss's's)

- Nip / Tuck

- Jake 2.0

- Threshold

- Point Pleasant

As for comedies:

- Two and a Half Men

- My Name Is Earl

- Two Guys | and a Girl (or Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place)

[gratuitous plug]Or you could take a look here.[/gratuitous plug]

Edited by MrBass

Without a Trace. US series about the FBI missing persons department. Canny good. My mate keeps telling me to watch Cold Case, about a female detective who reopens and solves old cases.

175104[/snapback]

Re Cold Case, it's alright for the odd episode, but I got bored about two thirds into the first series. It started off as a really good idea and now and again the stories are good, but it's let down by weak plots in most of the episodes - they rely too much on the cutting backwards and forwards between then (when the crime was committed) and now (when they're trying to solve it), and not enough on a decent story.

Good use of old music/fashions though in the flashback scenes.

Without a Trace is good, but I always forget it's on. Anthony La Paglia is nails.

Cold Case is canny. I thought that it would get repetative with them investigating old cases all the time but they manage to keep it quite fresh.

If you like those sort of detective things then Bones (with him out of Angel), Law & Order - Criminal Intent (with the excellent Vincent D'Nofrio) and Criminal Minds (with him out of The Princess Bride) are all worth a watch. Without A Trace is good too.

Babylon 5 is perhaps the best series ever though if you like sci fi!

Tour of Duty.

If you liked band of brothers - this came before it and is much better.

175099[/snapback]

Nice one. Thought Band of Brothers was class so might give this a go. Is this the one that used to be on in the middle of the night?

175103[/snapback]

aye. First series is the best. Second series became a bit more of a soap with the introduction female characters, romance, melodrama etc etc but still excellent and the third tried to strike a balance between the 1st two.

Murder One - the first series anyway - is top quality. I remember watching that when it was shown on telly and loved it.  If you've read Death by Hollywood (Steven Bochco) and like that then you're bound to enjoy this.

175106[/snapback]

That's what I'd heard, and it was supposed to be ground-breaking, but if you watch it now, after things like 24, it looks tired. Wish I'd watched it first time around, but I think telly's moved on a bit since.

Nip/Tuck is class though - first series was by far the best.

Repeat on Arrested Development though - defo worth a watch.

Without a Trace. US series about the FBI missing persons department. Canny good. My mate keeps telling me to watch Cold Case, about a female detective who reopens and solves old cases.

175104[/snapback]

Re Cold Case, it's alright for the odd episode, but I got bored about two thirds into the first series. It started off as a really good idea and now and again the stories are good, but it's let down by weak plots in most of the episodes - they rely too much on the cutting backwards and forwards between then (when the crime was committed) and now (when they're trying to solve it), and not enough on a decent story.

Without a Trace is good, but I always forget it's on. Anthony La Paglia is nails.

175108[/snapback]

Did you know he's the chairman and part owner of Sydney FC?

Boston Legal is good if you like something quirky.

Can anyone tell me what Green Wing is like?

175104[/snapback]

175108[/snapback]

Cold Case did a good episode in the second series which was was based arround the Rock Horror and had the same sort of acting and the bloke off the Rocky Horror was in it (him who plays the Mayor in Spin City). It was really good.

Criminals in tents is easily the best of the Law and Order series.  D'Onofrio is quality.

175113[/snapback]

Wor lass calls it the same thing. New series just started on Hallmark btw.

Tbh it's the only one of the law and orders I can regularly watch. They're all canny but I get a bit bored of the rest.

I second Arrested Development, the only problem is the BBC fart about with the times with it so it's difficult to catch. Seemed to get later and later each week which when you look at them putting on My Family at prime time is a farce.

175104[/snapback]

175108[/snapback]

Did you know he's the chairman and part owner of Sydney FC?

Boston Legal is good if you like something quirky.

175119[/snapback]

He was the half-time analyst on US TV for the Champions League Final. :D

Agree on Boston Legal btw. Shatner and Spader are class together.

DK, I saw that episode of Cold Case an'all. It was one of the better ones, I thought.

bump

175133[/snapback]

Brilliant, the best British comedy for years. I think of it as cross between Python, Friends & Scrubbs.

175136[/snapback]

Thanks