How long should the Preddie brothers get?

Happy Face

Difficult to put a price on justice like. I'm pretty sure they didn't intend to kill him but what they did was still very wrong. It's worth noting though that had he simply been stabbed in the leg with a broken bottle and survived, absolutely nowt would have been done.

shows how fucked up the world is when a court case can cost £16 million

175224[/snapback]

It was more than one though, although I take your point, it's a hell of a lot of money. I think 4 other lads have been acquitted in two other trials.

They sound like right little shits. If they'd been done at the time I think it would have been a lot better for them, a few years off the streets in a secure childrens unit might have turned them around.

Now they're old enough to go to prison I guess it'll be 3 years of training to come out worse than they went in.

shows how fucked up the world is when a court case can cost £16 million

175224[/snapback]

It was more than one though, although I take your point, it's a hell of a lot of money. I think 4 other lads have been acquitted in two other trials.

175229[/snapback]

It's a hard one. 7 years would be my judgement. I would imagine the family would be looking for life.

The cost should not affect the sentence, but it should be looked into.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...don/5252570.stm

After 6 years, 3 trials and £16M court costs the killers of Damilola Taylor have been found guilty of manslaughter.

How long do you think they'll get and how long should they get?  Is it money well spent?

175215[/snapback]

Lock up every politician and judge for that offence tbh.

I'm assuming these lads have robbed at knife point over age 15, they show no remorse for their crimes. I would lock them up indefintely with a yearly review by a hard-nosed parole board. If they don't reform, they can die inside.

After 6 years, 3 trials and £16M court costs the killers of Damilola Taylor have been found guilty of manslaughter.

How long do you think they'll get and how long should they get?  Is it money well spent?

175215[/snapback]

I'm assuming these lads have robbed at knife point over age 15, they show no remorse for their crimes. I would lock them up indefintely with a yearly review by a hard-nosed parole board. If they don't reform, they can die inside.

175245[/snapback]

They were 12 and 13 at the time and at least one of them was under a 24 hour supervision order :D

175215[/snapback]

175245[/snapback]

They were 12 and 13 at the time and at least one of them was under a 24 hour supervision order :D

175249[/snapback]

Weren't they just in children's homes though (iirc)? The places can't even lock their doors through the day have no locks though and if the kids fuck off all the people that work there can do is report them to the police as missing persons (there was a debate about this on 5Live the other night).

175215[/snapback]

175245[/snapback]

175249[/snapback]

That would be key to me coming down so hard on them, unless you think they deserve it for what they did by the time they were 12&13? It's a shame they weren't dealt with at the time, they really needed to be taken out of the environment they were in...

I hope this doesn't sound bad, and I apologise if anyone gets the wrong idea, but I was relieved that these two arseholes were black.

I feel that if these two had been white, the press would have had a field day fanning the flames of racism, when racism was obviously not a factor, further pissing of disenchanted people.

As I said, I hope no-one gets the wrong idea of my thoughts.

They will probably get 8 to 10 years, which is about right I reckon.

I hope this doesn't sound bad, and I apologise if anyone gets the wrong idea, but I was relieved that these two arseholes were black.

I feel that if these two had been white, the press would have had a field day fanning the flames of racism, when racism was obviously not a factor, further pissing of disenchanted people.

175262[/snapback]

In a similar sort of way, I was pleased that Menenzes (sp?) geezer the Met shot by mistake wasn't a Muslim. Does that sound bad?

175262[/snapback]

For the sake of argument, black vs black can still be racist. Caribbean vs African, for example. I have no idea if that's the case here.

Of course, the media doesn't bother to sensationalise that, so I can totally understand your point.

Either death by hanging or a slap on the wrist, I can't decide.

Joke, obviously. At times like this I'm glad it's not me making the decision, but that doesn't stop me getting pissed off at some of the insanely lenient sentences that seem to be given out.

175262[/snapback]

In a similar sort of way, I was pleased that Menenzes (sp?) geezer the Met shot by mistake wasn't a Muslim. Does that sound bad?

175265[/snapback]

Made me more nervous that they were willing to shoot anyone with a suntan.

Mind, this does raise the point - Are racist attacks really worse than random attacks? And should we always assume a racist element if the victim and attacker are different colours?

I think the cost of the case and the time taken to prosecute is irrelevant in terms of having any influence on the sentence, as both are purely down to police incompetence.

As for intent, thats a difficult one, I hardly think either of the two scrotes have enough knowledge of anatomy to have delivered the injury with the intent to kill.

However, I'd still say the world would be a better place without them on the streets, so the longer inside the better, lets just hope they get proper treatment rather than just slung in an adult prison and come out worse than they went in.

Mind, this does raise the point - Are racist attacks really worse than random attacks? And should we always assume a racist element if the victim and attacker are different colours?

175288[/snapback]

But clear racist attacks run the risk of a group of people feeling threatened and seeking possible retribution as opposed to a random attack not.

The collective group of a murdered member of that group would certainly (?) feel that racism was a factor, if the murderer was of different colour.

175288[/snapback]

But clear racist attacks run the risk of a group of people feeling threatened and seeking possible retribution as opposed to a random attack not.

The collective group of a murdered member of that group would certainly (?) feel that racism was a factor, if the murderer was of different colour.

175298[/snapback]

True, but for the individual victim is there a difference. If someone randomly kicks the shit out of me, should I feel good that it wasn't because I was white?

only that i cant remember the last time, i saw on the news a report of a white person attacked in a racist attack

175297[/snapback]

Maybe it doesn't happen then. How would we know - by personal anecdote? Any crime figures available?

175262[/snapback]

175265[/snapback]

175288[/snapback]

My point was, the racial tension it would have inflamed would have been really bad and would have potentially led to other attacks. Also, it would not also further damaged links between the police and Muslims communities at a time when these links have to be strengthened if other attacks are to have much chance of being prevented.