The Luque Situation

aimaad22

Im very annoyed about the Luque situation. To me, whenever he's played he's been useful but he keeps getting left out. People say he was poor last season, but he started 6 games for heavens sake!!! He's had a torrid time with injuries. He score a good goal towards the end of last season on his return, and he's looked good this pre-season now that he's getting his fitness back. So why he wasnt in the line-up yesterday is completely beyond me. Englishmen have always had this thing against foreigners, calling them lazy and all that. To many people Bowyer was a great player for us, but in truth he was pathetic and a liability with hardly any skill on the ball. But people liked him because he ran around like a mad chicken all the time. So what if he hardly did anything else in a match?? Now Luque's a player with great skill, and he's started to show it for us but just because he doesnt ran around like a madman and put in crazy tackles he's a lazy player. So what if he's a match winner?

We need to give him a good run in the side, so he can get to proper match fitness. But what we do is play him now and again, then declare him a lazy good for nothing foreigner(despite the fact he seems to score goals), and then put him on the bench. The cycle goes on until the player finally gets fed up and asks for a move. Then we can raid him with the 'you greedy lazy money collecting doing nothing foreigner' taunts. Fantastic stuff :D

Luque hasnt done anything brilliant for us so far, but we seem intent on not giving him a chance. One cant expect him to perform miracles when he plays once in ten games.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He deserves a chance in my opinion, I think he's clearly a very skillfull player, I just question his motivation, not sure what can be read into him not playing last night, maybe the club do not plan to sell him but didn't want to cup-tie him just in case a bid comes in for him.

I'd like to see him play more, I don't think playing a lone striker will work, we need to play him and Shola together to see if a partnership can develop, if not, get rid.

I take some of your points without totally agreeing but the xenophobia argument is bollocks in this instance. Who do you think Newcastle fans prefer - Solano or Milner? Loads of foreign players have been liked up here, it's only the ones that have took the piss that have gotten stick in general.

I wasn't aware anyone had mentioned Luque for quite a while.

It's www.newcastle-online.com/forum that you want.

175554[/snapback]

Here a week, and setting door policy already.

Aimaad - I'd like to think I give players a fair shot (probably too much, honestly) but I'm glad Luque wasn't played yesterday. I'm far from convinced he'll settle at Newcastle despite his obvious talent, and if we have to sell it's best he's not cup-tied. How did you think he fared against Villareal?

I think the lazy good-for-nothing foreigner thing stems more from Luque's fans assuming that anyone that doesn't think he's great doesn't like him because he's foreign, more than anyone actually disliking him because he's foreign. That's laziness on your part aimaad, and an easy get-out clause for you in your defence of Luque.

Personally I dislike him because he has no heart and has done nothing like enough in a black and white shirt to convince me. The fact that Shola is keeping him out of the team is an indictment of Luque, not Roeder.

He reminds me of me when I go to work - full of good intentions, but invariably putting no effort in and getting nothing done.

I think the lazy good-for-nothing foreigner thing stems more from Luque's fans assuming that anyone that doesn't think he's great doesn't like him because he's foreign, more than anyone actually disliking him because he's foreign.  That's laziness on your part aimaad, and an easy get-out clause for you in your defence of Luque.

Personally I dislike him because he has no heart and has done nothing like enough in a black and white shirt to convince me.  The fact that Shola is keeping him out of the team is an indictment of Luque, not Roeder.

He reminds me of me when I go to work - full of good intentions, but invariably putting no effort in and getting nothing done.

175560[/snapback]

GREAT post.

Whoop! Whoop!

It seems to me that Luque has skill but doesn't suit the physical side of English football. Because of this, his commitment is found wanting.

As with all footballers we either like or dislike, let's just leave it to the people who actually do know about real football, and that's the manager and coaches (which doesn't apply to Souness and his cronies obviously!).

Guest Patrokles

No one particularly rated Bowyer. The fans love(d) P. Albert, Asprilla, Srnicek, Solano, N'Zogbia. They consistently slate Shola, Dyer, Butt, Bramble.

Laurent Robert was a lazy foreigner too, but I and many others, loved his time here, because when he could be arsed he was incredible.

It's nothing to do with Luque being foreign. There is absolutely no evidence to justify that assumption; in fact, the weight of evidence contradicts it. He's foreign, so the average neanderthal is going to use that appellation when shouting abuse at him, just as people will shout 'Bramble, you fat sack of shit' at Titus, because he's a chunky monkey, or 'Milner, you ugly useless fucker,' because Milner is ugly. 'Luque, you lazy spanish sot!' is no different at all.

I've said it before and I'll say it again (although Wullie told me off for it :D ) the fact he's barely had a look in under Roeder is, for me, a damning indictment. Especially given the striker crisis.

No one particularly rated Bowyer. The fans love(d) P. Albert, Asprilla, Srnicek, Solano, N'Zogbia. They consistently slate Shola, Dyer, Butt, Bramble.

Laurent Robert was a lazy foreigner too, but I and many others, loved his time here, because when he could be arsed he was incredible.

It's nothing to do with Luque being foreign. There is absolutely no evidence to justify that assumption; in fact, the weight of evidence contradicts it. He's foreign, so the average neanderthal is going to use that appellation when shouting abuse at him, just as people will shout 'Bramble, you fat sack of shit' at Titus, because he's a chunky monkey, or 'Milner, you ugly useless fucker,' because Milner is ugly. 'Luque, you lazy spanish sot!' is no different at all.

175572[/snapback]

3 blacks and a red. :D

It's also not xenophobic to recognise the strengths and weaknesses of various cultures, Spanish players are generally more technically gifted but show less commitment.

I do think a local lad will be given more time to do well, though, and obviously there are varying acceptances as you move further away from the Geordie Nation.

Also, Emre's a muslim :D for God's sake, and he had injury problems in his first year, my impression is that he's very popular.

Edited by DotBum

175572[/snapback]

Is 'Ameobi, you useless black cunt!' alright then?

[/PC overdrive]

175572[/snapback]

[/PC overdrive]

175579[/snapback]

No :D

Guest Patrokles

175572[/snapback]

[/PC overdrive]

175579[/snapback]

Without wanting to get in a PC war, the implications behind the two are entirely different. In theory, it's almost the same (though nationality and skin colour are different issues). In practice, we all know it's a very different thing entirely.

Not much in the way of resistance from aimaad, it has to be said. :D

175594[/snapback]

Half the forum went logical on his ass tbf.

The lad seems to have bags of talent, no doubt, but his attitude has been piss poor. Maybe the price and the fact Souness 'bought' him (he didn't like imo, but I'm not getting into this debate again) has made him a scapegoat, but I was always willing to give him a chance and to me he looks like he'd rather be back in La Liga swigging San Miguel and eyeing up latino fanny.

I stopped reading after your first line

Im very annoyed about the Luque situation. To me, whenever he's played he's been useful but he keeps getting left out.

He has been terrible. Granted he has been injured etc but he obviously isnt bothering to buck up his ideas. If Roeder could sell him...he'd be gone.

Im very annoyed about the Luque situation. To me, whenever he's played he's been useful but he keeps getting left out.

He has been terrible. Granted he has been injured etc but he obviously isnt bothering to buck up his ideas. If Roeder could sell him...he'd be gone.

175645[/snapback]

Could not give a fuck if he was red n white striped. If he is good enough he's a geordie.

If he is shite he is a useless .......................... bastard just fill in the missing word to suit

Not much in the way of resistance from aimaad, it has to be said. :D

175594[/snapback]

Half the forum went logical on his ass tbf.

175596[/snapback]

Maybe you should have considered the time difference in our parts of the world, and also the fact that I dont plan on spending my entire day on the site.

And dotbum, if i hadnt been looking for a logical argument i would have posted this on NO :D

In luque's case, the criticism started well before the end of last season when he had hardly started a game. I accept he has been poor in parts, but then who hasnt been? And he has also shown flashes of brilliance. So while he continues to show a bit of both worlds, i think we should give him a chance. He needs a decent 10-12 games run to get into the heart of things and adjust himself properly. Crticize him once he's had a fair run in the team.

Remember this is a lad who's come from a league where they play a very different style of football and he's had a major injury problem. So to completely write him off on the pretext of a few absent minded moments(and those in friendlies) is a bit silly in my opinion. He's not had the chance to settle into the team yet, I dont think a player should be criticised when he hasnt been given the chance to prove himself. When a player comes from a completely different style of football he needs time plus faith shown in him by the team. Luque's had none.

I dont take any of the 'he doesnt bother too much' stuff. He's payed to score goals, which he has been doing recently. Plus the last few games have been friendlies, and the attitude of the team in general was very lathargic in the psv and villareal games. It isnt fair to single out luque. Besides, is it fair to chick him out because of one bad performance? I didnt see any problems with his committment in any of the league matches last season, though he never looked match fit and thus not running as well as he could have.

175645[/snapback]

Sorry I dont read any of your posts, happened to cast an eye over your sig once.

I dont take any of the 'he doesnt bother too much' stuff. He's payed to score goals, which he has been doing recently. Plus the last few games have been friendlies, and the attitude of the team in general was very lathargic in the psv and villareal games. It isnt fair to single out luque. Besides, is it fair to chick him out because of one bad performance? I didnt see any problems with his committment in any of the league matches last season, though he never looked match fit and thus not running as well as he could have.

175724[/snapback]

So work rate doesn't concern you? I would say if Shearer had "only" scored the goals he scored for Newcastle, and done nothing else, he would have been half the player he was. Looking interested and working hard is part of what every player has to do, how long would you imagine it will take him to "adapt" to that?

There's a lot of people who've voiced their concerns and shown they're quite obviously nothing to do with his nationality, do you now accept you were wrong about that?

Do you accept that Luque's future is still in doubt, and that it is therefore a bad idea to cup-tie him?

Im very annoyed about the Luque situation. To me, whenever he's played he's been useful but he keeps getting left out. People say he was poor last season, but he started 6 games for heavens sake!!! He's had a torrid time with injuries. He score a good goal towards the end of last season on his return, and he's looked good this pre-season now that he's getting his fitness back. So why he wasnt in the line-up yesterday is completely beyond me. Englishmen have always had this thing against foreigners, calling them lazy and all that. To many people Bowyer was a great player for us, but in truth he was pathetic and a liability with hardly any skill on the ball. But people liked him because he ran around like a mad chicken all the time. So what if he hardly did anything else in a match?? Now Luque's a player with great skill, and he's started to show it for us but just because he doesnt ran around like a madman and put in crazy tackles he's a lazy player. So what if he's a match winner?

We need to give him a good run in the side, so he can get to proper match fitness. But what we do is play him now and again, then declare him a lazy good for nothing foreigner(despite the fact he seems to score goals), and then put him on the bench. The cycle goes on until the player finally gets fed up and asks for a move. Then we can raid him with the 'you greedy lazy money collecting doing nothing foreigner' taunts. Fantastic stuff :D

Luque hasnt done anything brilliant for us so far, but we seem intent on not giving him a chance. One cant expect him to perform miracles when he plays once in ten games.

175553[/snapback]

I agree with what you're saying about Bowyer - I Said this before he arrived and loads of people seemed to think he was a steal. Poor touch, no control, and an average passer. He was a grafter but couldn't tackle.... point of that ?!

As for Luque though, I think he has played the games he's put the effort in for. I was looking forward to seeing him shortly after we signed him, but he has been unlucky with injury and when he HAS played seemed uninterested and only slightly above average. Don't think he's the sort of player that suits the premiership imo.

Do we have a choice though?! He has scored recently and seemed OK in pre-season. Assuming we make no major signings up front he will be given a shot, it's upto him to show he wants it.

Oh, and...

Maybe you should have considered the time difference in our parts of the world, and also the fact that I dont plan on spending my entire day on the site.

175724[/snapback]

You started a conversation and then buggered off, I think that's the point people were making tbh. :D

175645[/snapback]

Sorry I dont read any of your posts, happened to cast an eye over your sig once.

175725[/snapback]

you bitch. :D

:D