Pro's and Con's

JawD

of Hitchiking..

No, Im not asking for them (though an experience I had in the early 90's up the west coast of scotland definately goes down as a con.)

No, Ive had a hell of a week, head in bits and needed a serious chill. So, Roger Waters - Pro's and Con's of hitchiking. Seriously a class album. Not listened to it for aaages.

:D

Even though you're not asking, I'll contribute one of my hitching stories..

I once picked up this nutter who was travelling around the country sleeping on park benches and handing out badly hand-written flyers offering his services. He looked a bit like the comedian in Mancmags avatar.

As I'd given him a ride he was kind enough to give me one (oo-er), it went something like this;

'Paynting, gardning, rubish remoofals, genrel od jobs, cheap. Have own tools' There was a phone number on there which was his home number in Bristol - back in the day before mobile phones. Nutter.

I made the mistake of asking what tools he was carrying, and lo and behold he pulled this beastly curved 16 inch rusty blade out of his bag and maniacally grinned, 'I have this, but that's mostly for sleeping rough.'

I was happy to drop him at the next junction.

Still pick them up though, I've hitched round half of Australia and know the pain of waiting for hours and hours in the baking heat with no water, no hope and no dope.

Actually when I come to think of it I have picked up a collection of freaks in my time. Just lucky, I guess.

Edited by walkinthedog

of Hitchiking..

No, Im not asking for them (though an experience I had in the early 90's up the west coast of scotland definately goes down as a con.)

No, Ive had a hell of a week, head in bits and needed a serious chill.  So, Roger Waters - Pro's and Con's of hitchiking.  Seriously a class album.  Not listened to it for aaages.

:D

175687[/snapback]

Amen. Class album...one that's severly underrated. Not as good as Amused to Death though.

I've got a bootleg of one of the live Pro's and Con's shows with Eric Clapton if you're intrested like JawD.

Oh aye, that would be canny. Stick me a pm.

On the hitchy thing. I picke done up a month or so ago. I was coming up the M6 and he asked while I was at one of the services. I ended up taking him from Preston up to the services after the A66 junction.

Turned out he was a bit slow and had been looked after by his mother who had just died. He was with the salvation army but they had to send him on his way. He had just done some course on waiting and was trying to get work. But could as he didnt have a permanent home. He found a place, but couldnt get it without a deposit which he needed the job for. I ended up buying him a meal at the services.

Wouldnt suprise me if he seen me coming like and he does that all day :D

One night when my friend and I were walking back to his house after Paleo Festival, we stuck to our usual routine of yelling various football chants and waving our shirts above our heads as cars drove past. If we got a beep or a wave then we'd give them a cheer. :D

Anyways, some bloke stopped and got out, asking if we wanted a lift. Nearly pissed ourselves laughing. :D