Given hopeful over injury

Scottish Mag

Shay Given is hopeful of shaking off a back complaint in time for Newcastle's Premiership opener against Wigan.

The Irishman is a cornerstone of Glenn Roeder's side and he has proved himself to be one of the top keepers in The Premiership over the last few seasons.

Given played a key role in ensuring Newcastle kept a clean sheet in their 1-0 win over Ventspils in Uefa Cup qualifying, with an early save from Igors Slesarcuks particularly impressive.

He did, though, tweak his back shortly before the interval and required painkillers to aid him in the second half.

Given is hopeful the injury is nothing serious and will not prevent him from taking on Wigan next weekend.

"Just before half time I felt a sharp pain in my back and I think it is a muscle strain," said the Irish star. "I took some painkillers but still had a problem kicking long balls.

"Hopefully it will settle down in the next few days."

Guest Patrokles

Let's hope our centre-backs also strain their backs enough to enable them to play otherwise unhindered, but unable to play long balls and having to play it short instead.

As Steve Harper knows only too well, Given always recovers in time from injuries to play!

But we need Harper because the second he leaves the club Given will get a big injury, its the way things go at NUFC!

Edited by Papa Lazaru

As Steve Harper knows only too well, Given always recovers in time from injuries to play!

But we need Harper because the second he leaves the club Given will get a big injury, its the way things go at NUFC!

175800[/snapback]

:D

Its funny because its true.