Best Basslines!

Tom

Mr Big - Free. Andy Fraser plays a bass lead over the top of Kossoff and the style in which the bass line is played is lovely - not particularly complicated (although the solo's a bit more taxing) but it's how you play it that sets this one apart. The live version on the 'Best of Free' is a good example.

There are loads of Zep ones you should get into as John Paul Jones was class - but then I think you already know that ;)

Some of Mani's bass lines on the first Stone Roses album are canny as well - again it's down to how you play them, not how complicated they are. V melodic.

However, if you fancy something something that will make your fingers bleed - listen to Billy Sheehan. He plays with Steve Vai now, I think he used to play with King Crimson and a band called Mr Big IIRC (crap 80's rock). I've got a live Vai DVD and he's jamming with the band on his guitar, fret w**king. What ever he plays, Sheehan plays back to him on his bass. Not for mere mortals....

Mr Big - Free. Andy Fraser plays a bass lead over the top of Kossoff and the style in which the bass line is played is lovely - not particularly complicated (although the solo's a bit more taxing) but it's how you play it that sets this one apart. The live version on the 'Best of Free' is a good example.

There are loads of Zep ones you should get into as John Paul Jones was class - but then I think you already know that ;)

Some of Mani's bass lines on the first Stone Roses album are canny as well - again it's down to how you play them, not how complicated they are. V melodic.

However, if you fancy something something that will make your fingers bleed - listen to Billy Sheehan. He plays with Steve Vai now, I think he used to play with King Crimson and a band called Mr Big IIRC (crap 80's rock). I've got a live Vai DVD and he's jamming with the band on his guitar, fret w**king. What ever he plays, Sheehan plays back to him on his bass. Not for mere mortals....

176781[/snapback]

yeh at the moment im going purely for melody having a lot of fun like.

Best one so far is ' I wanna be adored by the stone roses and The same mistakes by the cooper temple clause

176781[/snapback]

Seen Vai live about 6 or 7 times now and Sheehan has been with him the last 2 or 3. Ridiculously talented.

176781[/snapback]

yeh at the moment im going purely for melody having a lot of fun like.

Best one so far is ' I wanna be adored by the stone roses and The same mistakes by the cooper temple clause

176885[/snapback]

Try 'Shoot You Down'. Pure class if you're drummer is any good.

176781[/snapback]

Seen Vai live about 6 or 7 times now and Sheehan has been with him the last 2 or 3. Ridiculously talented.

176920[/snapback]

Aye, seen him once at the Apollo in Manchester - he had another guitarist who looked like he was in his early 20's at best. They were insanely good. At one point all three were playing 'bits' of each others instruments whilst they were still wearing them - i.e Vai strums Sheehans bass whilst working the frets of the other guitarist and Sheehan is strumming Vais etc.... Makes you want to leave your guitar in it's case out of shame......

eighties by killing joke.

it was so good kobain ripped it off.

176241[/snapback]

'tis very similar to 'Come As You Are' isn't it?

176400[/snapback]

Similar?

Yeah if you call a note for note rip off similar?

176781[/snapback]

176920[/snapback]

Aye, seen him once at the Apollo in Manchester - he had another guitarist who looked like he was in his early 20's at best. They were insanely good. At one point all three were playing 'bits' of each others instruments whilst they were still wearing them - i.e Vai strums Sheehans bass whilst working the frets of the other guitarist and Sheehan is strumming Vais etc.... Makes you want to leave your guitar in it's case out of shame......

176979[/snapback]

;)

Tony Macalpine was the young lad I think. Does an impressive solo bit on his acoustic iirc.

Mike Keneally was used before him and was outstanding too. short fat bald bloke with stubby fingers.

176781[/snapback]

176920[/snapback]

176979[/snapback]

:)

Tony Macalpine was the young lad I think. Does an impressive solo bit on his acoustic iirc.

Mike Keneally was used before him and was outstanding too. short fat bald bloke with stubby fingers.

176991[/snapback]

If you ignore the 'bald' bit, the short, fat bloke with stubby fingers could also describe Yngvie Malmsteen - who plays with them on the DVD I have. He's wearing tight black leather strides with his shirt undone most of the way down (complete with flouncy cuffs) - he looks like 80's Dad rocker who still thinks he's 25..... not pretty ;)

Is that the live in Denver dvd?

Irs pretty good, Plus malm is the best on it :D

177010[/snapback]

Yeah, I think it is IIRC. I really struggle with a fair amount of the YM stuff as I find him a bit of a one trick pony ;)

No accounting for taste eh?

Is that the live in Denver dvd?

Irs pretty good, Plus malm is the best on it :D

177010[/snapback]

Yeah, I think it is IIRC. I really struggle with a fair amount of the YM stuff as I find him a bit of a one trick pony ;)

No accounting for taste eh?

177310[/snapback]

Yeh hes a one trick pony like.

Neo-Classical Sweep Picked arpeggios and a shit voice ;)

I agree with newcastlerocker. Its gotta be maxwell murder by rancid! I bought that CD on my 15th birthday just before I went to see Independence Day at the Cinema. 9 Fucking years ago!!!

177440[/snapback]

Old skool :D

I agree with newcastlerocker. Its gotta be maxwell murder by rancid! I bought that CD on my 15th birthday just before I went to see Independence Day at the Cinema. 9 Fucking years ago!!!

177440[/snapback]

Old skool ;)

177508[/snapback]

:D

Well we cant all be as old as you sammy you know!

178207[/snapback]

I think the term straight edge soldier/committed to the cause is what you are looking for, not old, you young (avril lavigne styled) punk.