Jesus wept.

sammynb

There seems to be a belief by a few posters on this forum and on newcastle-online that if someone says something you don't agree with or something that annoys you, that it is a great comeback to write:

Jesus wept!

Well I don't know about you but it fucking shits me, not because I'm religious because I'm not. But because the people that use it think they are being all mighty when actual fact they don't even know what it truely means.

From wikipedia:

The phrase occurs on the death of Lazarus, a friend of Jesus. Lazarus' sisters Mary and Martha sent word to Jesus of their brother's condition. Jesus purposely arrived late in order to have his disciples learn a lesson concerning the power of God over death. Jesus, seeing her and the Jews weeping, was grieved by their lack of faith and wept in front of Lazarus' tomb. He then ordered the people to remove the stone covering his tomb, prayed aloud to God (for the benefit of the people), and ordered Lazarus to come out.

The resurrection of Lazarus and subsequent growth in the number of Jewish followers of Jesus' teachings came to the attention of the Jewish priests. According to the Gospel of John, this, along with fear of retribution from the Romans, led to the Jewish leadership's decision to turn Jesus over to Pontius Pilate for execution (John 11:45-53, 18:31).

It is a metaphor for a lack of faith not because someone disagrees with you.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be a belief by a few posters on this forum and on newcastle-online that if someone says something you don't agree with or something that annoys you, that it is a great comeback to write:

Jesus wept!

Well I don't know about you but it fucking shits me, not because I'm religious because I'm not. But because the people that use it think they are being all mighty when actual fact they don't even know what it truely means.

From wikipedia:

The phrase occurs on the death of Lazarus, a friend of Jesus. Lazarus' sisters Mary and Martha sent word to Jesus of their brother's condition. Jesus purposely arrived late in order to have his disciples learn a lesson concerning the power of God over death. Jesus, seeing her and the Jews weeping, was grieved by their lack of faith and wept in front of Lazarus' tomb. He then ordered the people to remove the stone covering his tomb, prayed aloud to God (for the benefit of the people), and ordered Lazarus to come out.

The resurrection of Lazarus and subsequent growth in the number of Jewish followers of Jesus' teachings came to the attention of the Jewish priests. According to the Gospel of John, this, along with fear of retribution from the Romans, led to the Jewish leadership's decision to turn Jesus over to Pontius Pilate for execution (John 11:45-53, 18:31).

14110[/snapback]

Lazarus is dead.....? :D

I will miss his avatar!

:D

Load of bollocks.

I'm all for it. It's perfect for expressing profound frustration at someones complete fucking ineptitude or their singular inability to grasp a point that you might be trying to make. And lets face it theres a lot of that goes on on O-N, what with some* of the IQ's struggling to make double figures.

Someone also suggested that it was a new phrase too? I'm pretty sure I've heard it all my life though (mainly from my mum when shouting at me :D)

sammynb...isn't this just cos SLP 'jesus wept'd' you the other day? :D

*Not all, but quite a few-though I hope it doesnt become a critical mass.

I've used it once on here to signify my disbelief at a total lack of sense of humour. Jesus wept.

14117[/snapback]

Thats the badger! I'm sure that was to sammynb himself as well, hence his gutted face! :D

It was totally called for as well on that occasion. Textbook deployment.

We've no sponsors to appease - people can say what they like IMO!

14130[/snapback]

Craig likes little boys!

14132[/snapback]

Easy.....

I might start throwing my toys out of the pram! :D

Jesus wept!

From wikipedia:

14110[/snapback]

Whoosh?

Jesus wept!

From wikipedia:

14110[/snapback]

Whoosh?

14138[/snapback]

You can't do that either. Gemmill doesnt like it. :D

Yes, I'm somewhat surprised I'm still able to log in.

Or have you no balls at all? JESUS WEPT!

14137[/snapback]

You haven't been sneaky or snide - I'll let you off! :D

You might be able to get me under the misuse of colloquialisms act though.

14146[/snapback]

I could........

But then I'm really not that bothered! :D

You might be able to get me under the misuse of colloquialisms act though.

14146[/snapback]

I could........

But then I'm really not that bothered! :D

14149[/snapback]

Jesus Titty-fucking Christ!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.