Girl not allowed to watch Big Brother..

Scottish Mag

A girl of 11 hanged herself in the family bathroom because she was not allowed to watch Big Brother, an inquest heard yesterday.

Yasmin Browder had thrown a tantrum because her mother wanted to leave decorating materials in her bedroom overnight. As a punishment, she was banned from watching the reality television show in June.

She locked herself in the bathroom, attached the cord of her dressing gown to the door and hanged herself, the inquest in Worthing was told.

"This is one of the saddest cases I have had to deal with in a long time," said Roger Stone, the West Sussex coroner, who recorded an open verdict. "Yasmin got into a strop, as her mum said, and could not watch Big Brother.

"This was an impulsive gesture which has gone horribly wrong, for Yasmin, her family and, perhaps, wrong for our society."

Yasmin, for whom "everything was positive in life", had been decorating her bedroom with her mother, Jill Morey, in Shoreham-by-Sea. "Everything was fine until the time when I said to her that I was leaving the bucket, wallpaper and stripper in her room until the morning," said Miss Morey, 38, a care worker. "She went totally out of character and started launching things out of her room. I said, 'Why are you doing this?'.

"She said, 'I don't want it in my room'. When we had finished decorating, she said to me, 'I want to watch Big Brother. I said, 'You are not. You are misbehaving. You are going to bed'. I thought she was being disrespectful.

"She was stomping around upstairs and she took herself off to the bathroom where I thought she was having a shower. She spent three-quarters of an hour in there."

Miss Morey went outside and looked through the bathroom window. "I saw her standing against the bathroom door with her eyes open. I thought she was ignoring me," she said.

"My boyfriend returned home and launched the lock off the door. Yasmin had her dressing gown on and the belt was around the door and her neck. She was unconscious. I released the belt, then tried to resuscitate her three times."

Mark Webb, Miss Morey's boyfriend, called the emergency services and paramedics took her to Worthing Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Paul Rayment-Browder, 42, a printing company proprietor and Miss Morey's ex-husband, told the inquest that Yasmin had spent the weekend with him at the beach before killing herself on the Monday. "She had everything to look forward to," he said.

Awful, but I can't help wondering if there was a bit more than this going on. I had a mate who was ridiculously spoilt and was being brought up by his grandparents, who would threaten to hold his breath if he didn't get what he wanted. After about 30 seconds they would always give in. ;)

But to make a gesture like that behind closed doors is not exactly going to work.

Either way, it's very sad that a young kid of that age has committed suicide, whatever the motivation.

Awful, but I can't help wondering if there was a bit more than this going on.  I had a mate who was ridiculously spoilt and was being brought up by his grandparents, who would threaten to hold his breath if he didn't get what he wanted.  After about 30 seconds they would always give in. ;)

But to make a gesture like that behind closed doors is not exactly going to work.

Either way, it's very sad that a young kid of that age has committed suicide, whatever the motivation.

176621[/snapback]

a "mate" eh?

Awful, but I can't help wondering if there was a bit more than this going on.  I had a mate who was ridiculously spoilt and was being brought up by his grandparents, who would threaten to hold his breath if he didn't get what he wanted.  After about 30 seconds they would always give in. :)

176621[/snapback]

a "mate" eh?

176777[/snapback]

Yes, Sima. ;) He was led to believe, until his teens, that his birth mother was his sister. In the meantime, her parents (his grandparents) brought him up. A strange state of affairs.